Time for a new bino harness!

Takeem406

WKR
I've been using a Nimrod for years but lately I've noticed it's digging into my pectorals between my pits. I first thought it was my pack but I think its the harness under my pack. And the straps keep twisting.
How are the Sitka bivy's?
What harnesses work better with big packs on?
Is my Nimrod just not adjusted right?

blb078

WKR
I use the Rick Young harness and love it, but if you need fully enclosed protection then it's not for you. I've heard good things about the Badlands, Kuiu, and FHF harnesses.

Last edited:
OP
Takeem406

Takeem406

WKR
I've done OK without full protection so far and if my Vortex breaks I'll just send them in;-) But I'm open to ideas.

LostArra

WKR
Rick Young here.
I also own the Nimrod but like the Rick Young better.
I'm not into the full coverage/front pack deal. I do use the Nimrod Bino top with the Rick Young if I need the eye pieces covered. It actually works better on the Rick Young than the Nimrod harness especially if you just attach one side.
I'm sure if you wanted to play around with attachment items and shock cord you could make one but the Rick Young isn't pricey.

I got a alaska guide front pack.. I figure its full coverage.. I can take all covers off for the time im actually hunting.. Then put the covers back on when im done hunting for the day..

FHF. Using it currently and really like it. Protects my expensive binos.

Have a rick young one too. Like it cuz it simple but binos can get beat up without the protection.

littlebuf

Banned
Loving my Sitka Bino bivy so far. Super light, comfy and unlike the FHF you can actually use the side pockets since there elastic. Also the flop down magnet top is super convenient

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Don't get a lockdown. I like the harness, hate the coverage on the glass. If i could just get the koala lite bag to meld with lockdown harness.....

I purchased the FHF first and used it on a couple of scouting trips before hunting season.
Read about the Alaska Guide Creations pack and ordered one too.
Since getting the AGC pack, I have used it exclusively as I dearly love how it protects my binoculars so well. :cool:
The AGC pack is the best I have ever seen for total protection from thorns, brush, rain, and dust.
The FHF is very nice, very tough, and lightweight but has more openings than I prefer.

2ski

WKR
There's been a lot of love for the Kuiu from those that have bought it so far.

I really liked my Badlands as it was the first full coverage harness I've had. Then I saw a FHF. I would love one, however, the fact that it doesn't offer full coverage does worry me a bit.

Also, FHF and Kuiu are cheaper than Sitka and Bandlands bino harnesses. Around 80ish vs around 120ish.

littlebuf

Banned
Sitka bivy was just on sale for 59 bucks at cabelas. May still be, I know it was online last week

I use the Rick Young harness and love it, but if you need fully enclosed protection then it's not for you. I've heard good things about the Badlands, Kuiu, and FHF harnesses.

Rick Young for me as well. Love the harness, stupid lightweight and just works. I've tried other more bulky harnesses and they drive me crazy. During late season hunts I have an elastic bino cover made by Cabelas that I put on it to keep the optics dry.

http://www.sandsarchery.com/Ultralight-Binocular-Harness-p/ulbh.htm

Steve

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Been using the Alaska Guide Creations for 5 years now. Really like it. Keeps everything enclosed and protected. Leave it loaded with havalon, rangefinder, license/tags, lighter, lens cleaner, oh yeah and my binos too ;)

Maybe not the best for everyone, but after seeing other options in person I don't feel I'm giving up anything to the other fully enclosed models.

Hardstalk

WKR
Been using the Alaska Guide Creations for 5 years now. Really like it. Keeps everything enclosed and protected. Leave it loaded with havalon, rangefinder, license/tags, lighter, lens cleaner, oh yeah and my binos too ;)

Maybe not the best for everyone, but after seeing other options in person I don't feel I'm giving up anything to the other fully enclosed models.

Thats next on my list to try out. Tried the kuiu liked it alot. Its very comfortable, but minimal at the same time. Limited pockets but great bino protection. I switch back and forth with binos quite often. I disliked the fact that the harness relies on the binos.

Clarktar

WKR
I also want to try out the Alaska Guide Creations. I will be hunting the classifieds for one...

boom

WKR
when i bought the alaskan guide one..i talked the owner. he was AWESOME...he told great hunt stories. it would be awesome to spend time next to a campfire with him..i called him for a few months after i got my gear, just to see how his season was going.

sad to report, during the summer months, wearing light t-shirts, the harness would burn into the back of my neck. i tried adjusting the pack, but gravity of the binos would pull the strap up and into my neck. i got the FHF..and loved it. it fit better...but i agree the protection is way less than the alaskan.

my brother uses the alaskan model now..i gave it to him. he loves it, and it fits him..much better. you cant go wrong with either.