Tikka T3X Upgrades

RWT

WKR
What’s this trigger spring upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mcarbo and midway sells a mountain tact model

I just added it last week and it dropped the pull weight by 8 oz on average. I’ll know if it shoots better this weekend. The stock trigger is good. IMO this feels better.

RWT

WKR
I have an ultra 5 and 7. Go with the 7 first. Better sound and recoil reduction. The 5 I keep as a hunting only model. The 5 I have to wear foam plugs or my ears ring. the 7 I can shoot a few without the plugs and my ears aren’t ringing.

Gorp2007

WKR
How are you planning to hunt these properties in Indiana? If you’re walking to a stand/barn/blind and watching over a corn field then the extra barrel length likely won’t be an issue. Buy the suppressor and shoot it as is, then decide if you want to chop it.

The vertical grip is always a good place to start on a factory Tikka stock and a lot of people (myself included ) like to open up the barrel channel. Rokslide specs call for enough clearance for at least one dead cat, or approximately a tenth of an inch.

sawatch

FNG
man, half these comments are useless…”sell the gun”…come on. If i was the OP, I would ignore the comments about the glass. Viper HS is just fine for what you’re doing. New stock might make sense, but the factory tikka stocks are pretty good for hunting and non-comp shooting. Someone mentioned a riser and that could be a good idea if you need one.

100% back the suppressor idea. Especially since yours is already threaded. I’m going that route myself with two tikkas.

Other fun cosmetic upgrades are new bottom metal or different bolt throws/knobs. MTN Tac isn’t taking orders but they have lots of cool modular stuff as do Oregon and redsnake.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
man, half these comments are useless…”sell the gun”…come on. If i was the OP, I would ignore the comments about the glass. Viper HS is just fine for what you’re doing. New stock might make sense, but the factory tikka stocks are pretty good for hunting and non-comp shooting. Someone mentioned a riser and that could be a good idea if you need one.

100% back the suppressor idea. Especially since yours is already threaded. I’m going that route myself with two tikkas.

Other fun cosmetic upgrades are new bottom metal or different bolt throws/knobs. MTN Tac isn’t taking orders but they have lots of cool modular stuff as do Oregon and redsnake.
That scope and likely ring mounting system will be the number one failure point on that rifle. Folks are making that suggestion for a reason.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I cut my tikkas to 18”, have a permanent adapter installed so I can direct thread 5/8x24.

I add the vertical grip to all my tikkas.

I replace the bottom metal which allows me to torque the action down more, I like the high desert bottom metal.

Next I outfitted all of mine with sportsmatch scope rings but I’d buy the UM if they had of been out when I got the sportsmatch.

Free float the barrel, get rid of the speed bump thing.

Nightforce, SWFA, trijicon make good scopes.

Silencers: TBAC, scythe, diligent defense, otter creek are probably the best out there, I have the TBAC ultra 7, the scythe and a banish 30 but don’t buy a banish 30. If you do buy from silencer central the banish back country is their best silencer.

After that, I work up a load, do some basic drop proofing and leave them alone.

KenLee

WKR

My definition of "useless" would be a long action receiver Creedmoor with 30+ inch barrel (with suppressor) with a Vortex scope riding on it to use as a short range hunting rifle.

Macintosh

WKR
I purchased a Tikka T3X lite D18 with the true timber VSX stock, in 6.5 creedmoor, from Cabelas last year. I put a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 on it. I bought it to use as my whitetail gun. I live in Indiana and the properties I hunt yield shots from 10-200 yards. I have some extra cash and I’m wanting to know what upgrades you would make to the gun? Is it worth doing anything to it or take the extra money and buy a new rifle?
You’ve had it a year…Is there something wrong with it that you feel it needs upgrading? Do you like it?
Personally Id take the $ and buy a couple thousand rounds of ammo from the same lot, and shoot it. I might choose a few things different, but unless and until something is broken 98% of any upgrades you do will be cosmetic.

cgs hyperion or hyperion k are really good suppressors. whatever you get, make sure it is all titanium and 5/8x24 direct thread.

A suppressor is the upgrade that will do the most to make you enjoy shooting the gun, but upgrading the scope to something reliable (swfa, nightforce, S&B, maven rs1.2) and using a good mounting system (um tikka rings, sportsmatch, bonded pic rail with good pic rings) is the upgrade that will do the most to make your rifle dependable.

Absolutely open up the barrel channel if you're not going to do rokstock or KRG bravo.

and - none of that will matter if you don't have a heap (i.e. a barrel life's worth, 2500-3000 rounds) of ammo or components that the barrel likes, and you shoot it a bunch

ElPollo

WKR
How do you like that suppressor? I was thinking of that one or the TBAC ultra 5.
Short suppressors are a bad idea. It’s a compromise that doesn’t do either noise suppression or recoil reduction well. I would stick in the 7” range. Check some of the threads here for suppressor suggestions. I have an AB Raptor 8-stack that I love. The CGS Hyperion K has a big following on here. Several like the Silencer Co Sythe-TI. We are in the golden age of suppressor manufacturing right now.

@btb1983 What are you unhappy with your current setup? What is it not doing for you for the purpose and style you hunt?

You’re going to/have been getting a lot of regurgitation of recommendations without any practical consideration. A 15x FFP scope for shots under 200 yards for example. You can spend a lot of $ “upgrading” a tikka that does not functionally improve its performance.

If your setup is working for you would just leave as is.

JGRaider

WKR
I've been shooting Tikkas since 1998 which includes the 695, T3, T3X, and CTR. I've never modified any of them at all, as it's unnecessary IMO. My stock Tikkas have killed hundreds upon hundreds of animals, bone stock, and shoot lights out.

ElPollo

WKR
No it does not at all.

I’ve killed multiple big game animals under 50 yards with that exact scope. Closest was 30 yards. Zero issues.
@btb1983
Agree with this. Could not draw western tags to save my life this year, so I’m am using my Tikka 223 with a 6x SWFA for eastern whitetails this year again. That scope already accounted for several sub 50 yard kills. If you can find one, they are ugly but are the perfect all around scope if you have any need to dial. That said if you don’t and are only shooting inside 200, it’s hard to go wrong with a Trijicon Accupoint or Huron.

@btb1983 What are you unhappy with your current setup? What is it not doing for you for the purpose and style you hunt?

You’re going to/have been getting a lot of regurgitation of recommendations without any practical consideration. A 15x FFP scope for shots under 200 yards for example. You can spend a lot of $ “upgrading” a tikka that does not functionally improve its performance.

If your setup is working for you would just leave as is.

Generally agree but the RS1.2's bottom end of 2.5x works surprisingly well for a 6x zoom ratio FFP scope. To your point, I don't know that the additional costs and weight for unutilized features/benefits of a scope like that are worth it for the application but it would still be better than a 4-16 viper in every regard but weight. I really don't like the 4-16 vipers, even if they were reliable!