Tikka t3x lite stainless barrel threading

Dnicode

FNG
Has anyone gotten this gun barrel threaded for a muzzle brake or suppressor? I’m curious what size threads work with this or if the barrel needs to get cut shorter etc. Sorry if this is a re-post maybe someone can link to the original post if it is. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Depends on how much shoulder you want. At 17 inches it is thick enough for 9/16-24 with 0.1 diameter increase over major diameter of threads.

1/2-28 could be done further out with a solid shoulder.

@Formidilosus says shoulder does not matter much. He has significantly more experience than I do. However, I'm still cutting mine for a 0.1 should. I think he has a few cut long with 5/8-24 threads.

Last edited:

flyinsquirel

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
You can do 1/2-28 leaving it factory length. You can also shorten into the flutes and still do 1/2-28. Someone posted a pic of just this.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Depends on how much should you want. At 17 inches it is thick enough for 9/16-24 with 0.1 diameter increase over major diameter of threads.

1/2-28 could be done further out with a solid shoulder.

@Formidilosus says shoulder does not matter much. He has significantly more experience than I do. However, I'm still cutting mine for a 0.1 should. I think he has a few cut long with 5/8-24 threads.

Here is a factory T3 lite contour cut to 20” and threaded 5/8-24

IMG_9867.jpeg

IMG_9869.jpeg

IMG_9868.jpeg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had mine shortened and then a permanent adapter/shoulder for 5/8x24. I couldn’t be happier with it and it’s the only way I’ll go moving forward.

Not all gunsmiths do that though. You can easily get a tikka threaded to 1/2x28 and use an adapter that threads 5/8x24 to your silencer.

Attachments

• IMG_4850.jpeg
    IMG_4850.jpeg
    663.9 KB · Views: 76

rbutcher1234

Lil-Rokslider
I had mine shortened and then a permanent adapter/shoulder for 5/8x24. I couldn’t be happier with it and it’s the only way I’ll go moving forward.

Not all gunsmiths do that though. You can easily get a tikka threaded to 1/2x28 and use an adapter that threads 5/8x24 to your silencer.
Who did the work?

TreeDog

Lil-Rokslider
I had my superlite barrel cut to 18" and threaded 1/2x28 because of the fluting. Rockesett a $15 adapter to 5/8x24 on and called it good.

Has anyone gotten this gun barrel threaded for a muzzle brake or suppressor? I’m curious what size threads work with this or if the barrel needs to get cut shorter etc. Sorry if this is a re-post maybe someone can link to the original post if it is. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tikka Threading

Attachments

• T3Muzzle1.jpg
    T3Muzzle1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 55
  • T3Muzzle2.jpg
    T3Muzzle2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 56
  • T3Muzzle3.jpg
    T3Muzzle3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 56

SloppyJ

WKR
Do you have any pics and who did the work? Thinking of having this done.
Kampfield Customs has done a few of the guys rifles around here. I'm taking my son's rifle to the smith to get it chopped to 18" and threaded 1/2". It's only a .223 though so no issues on the 1/2". Call around, I'm sure you have someone local that can do it. Make sure they're going to do a good job though.

lelliott8

FNG
Kampfield Customs has done a few of the guys rifles around here. I'm taking my son's rifle to the smith to get it chopped to 18" and threaded 1/2". It's only a .223 though so no issues on the 1/2". Call around, I'm sure you have someone local that can do it. Make sure they're going to do a good job though.
I get the impression most gunsmiths are not thrilled about cutting into the flutes.

TreeDog

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have any pics and who did the work? Thinking of having this done.
Not the best pics, but you can kinda see. Firearms Machining Services in Kalispell, MT did the work. He cut it down, threaded, and made the thread protector. I bought the adapter from Down Range Products.

Attachments

• IMG_6022.png
    IMG_6022.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6024.png
    IMG_6024.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 57

Ajsomp

WKR
Classified Approved
I just had two stainless cut down - 223 and 6.5 PRC. The 223 was cut to 18” and threaded 1/2x28. The prc was cut to 20” and he threaded it 1/2x28 as well - and I just snagged an adapter for my direct thread CAT JL. The thread adapter I picked up from down range products (seemed a great price for US made and shipped and got to me within a week).

I just had two stainless cut down - 223 and 6.5 PRC. The 223 was cut to 18” and threaded 1/2x28. The prc was cut to 20” and he threaded it 1/2x28 as well - and I just snagged an adapter for my direct thread CAT JL. The thread adapter I picked up from down range products (seemed a great price for US made and shipped and got to me within a week).

Have you shot the CAT JL much? It has been getting great reviews so I'm curious how it compares to other top end 30 cal suppressors.

Ajsomp

WKR
Classified Approved
Have you shot the CAT JL much? It has been getting great reviews so I'm curious how it compares to other top end 30 cal suppressors.
CAT suppressors are the truth. I’ve got the SR, WB and JL. I wish they had a “S” sized JL can - the JL is a bit long but crazy good Suppression wise and lightweight. I’d be willing to give up a little performance for a slightly shorter package.

I’m sure down the road they will have more variants but it’s worth checking out. Pewscience has done a lot to demonstrate what we should expect out of suppressors and backs it with independent testing. I remember when you had to just make a blind leap and hope it was good - that’s how I ended up with a dead air sandman s and two rugged cans.

This is something I've been interested in. I've got an AB Raptor suppressor with a 2" over-the-barrel section with .75" diameter. I'm looking at getting a 6.5 Creedmoor non-fluted barrel to rebarrel my T3, anyone with experience on the lite barrels know how far back I could go while still having 2" of <=.750" barrel? I've got the standard stock right now but might get a lightweight chassis in the future, IDK. I'm hoping to get it down to 16-18" with the 5/8" thread, looking with a tape measure it seems like that should still be far enough past the stock that I wouldn't run into interference there.