Tikka T3 Super Lite 7mm Rem Mag Mountain Rifle

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Brock I have a question for you. Any idea what the threads are? Trying to decide if I can mate my TI Suppressor on a tikka ultralight. I've been told I really need 9/16 threads to make it work.

The threads on your barrel will be whatever your gunsmith cuts into it. Just take your suppressor and your rifle to your gunsmith and he can cut the barrel threads to match. The outside diameter of your barrel will be the limiting factor.

For a Tikka ultralight, you should be able to use 1/2" or 9/16" threads. Anything bigger (i.e. 5/8" or more) doesn't leave enough "shoulder" on the barrel for the suppressor to butt up to.

From Zac Smith

"The 9/16 adapter is a good route if there's enough shoulder for a 9/16
adapter (ie 0.662" with another 0.020" we can push it down)"

1/2 inch threads wont work so I'm being told? Not enough meat on the bigger rifles. Anyone know the dimensions on the superlight tikka muzzle?

mt100gr.

WKR
Finally got all the parts in and got it all put together.
I painted the stock ultra-flat OD green (the clear coat gave it a little sheen, but not glossy...) I also went with the Mtn Tactical kit for this one: recoil lug, recoil pad, bolt shroud, and 20 MOA rail. The scope is the Vortex Viper PST 4-16 x 50mm with the EBR1 MOA reticle FFP. Rings are Vortex Precision Matched and I also mounted a Vortex bubble level. It finished up at 8lbs 4oz, which isn't as light as I was hoping for but I also don't want to put a brake on it so a little extra weight should soak up a bit of kick, I guess. It is a touch over 3/4 of a pound lighter than the rifle I have been carrying and should be much more capable for mid-long range shooting, so I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

Hopefully I will get a break from plowing snow and get out to shoot it soon. I am excited to see how it does.

Big thanks to you guys that have contributed to this thread and offered ideas and experience. I learned a lot in putting this together and look forward to stretching my range a little. I have been "all archery" for awhile now and I am starting to think my wife's concerns that this may be a "gateway gun" are legitimate:)

colonel00

WKR
Looks great. My stock is getting dipped now and I have to pull the trigger on a scope and then I will have some nifty photos to share too.

Is that 8lbs 4oz with the bipod?

mt100gr.

WKR
No. That is just the scoped weight. I don't plan to use the bipod on it much, actually. I just had it on there as I was playing with the scope and my rangefinder a bit today when I got my camera out. It got heavier with the steel rail, metal bolt shroud, hardened recoil lug, and the bubble level.

Depending on the recoil, I may swap a few things for lighter ones, but for now, I really like it. And my wallet said "uncle" awhile ago.

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, my wallet is on life support as I just bought a fancy flasher for an ice fishing trip next week. On to of that, I'm still eyeing a Swaro scope for the Tikka that may just flat line it.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I just measured the muzzle of my standard tikka SS lite @ .624 Does anyone have a superlight in a non-mag to double check muzzle diameter? Also how far back on a standard caliber does the fluting start?
The flutes start 1.8" from the muzzle on the .30-06 super light I just measured. The muzzle diameter was .634" which was the same as the standard T3 light.

mt100gr.

WKR
Yeah, my wallet is on life support as I just bought a fancy flasher for an ice fishing trip next week. On to of that, I'm still eyeing a Swaro scope for the Tikka that may just flat line it.

What is it about winter and gear...?? Oh well, a guy has to be prepared for next year, right? (I hate to throw out more "wife quotes" but mine calls winter my "nesting phase" ....and she calls the week off between archery and rifle season "marriage savings time".)

Rob5589

WKR
Finally got all the parts in and got it all put together.
I painted the stock ultra-flat OD green (the clear coat gave it a little sheen, but not glossy...) I also went with the Mtn Tactical kit for this one: recoil lug, recoil pad, bolt shroud, and 20 MOA rail. The scope is the Vortex Viper PST 4-16 x 50mm with the EBR1 MOA reticle FFP. Rings are Vortex Precision Matched and I also mounted a Vortex bubble level. It finished up at 8lbs 4oz, which isn't as light as I was hoping for but I also don't want to put a brake on it so a little extra weight should soak up a bit of kick, I guess. It is a touch over 3/4 of a pound lighter than the rifle I have been carrying and should be much more capable for mid-long range shooting, so I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

Hopefully I will get a break from plowing snow and get out to shoot it soon. I am excited to see how it does.

Big thanks to you guys that have contributed to this thread and offered ideas and experience. I learned a lot in putting this together and look forward to stretching my range a little. I have been "all archery" for awhile now and I am starting to think my wife's concerns that this may be a "gateway gun" are legitimate:)

Looking good. Curious as to what load you plan on running? I need to develop a load for my 7RM lite around the TTSX.

mt100gr.

WKR
Handloading will be next winters investment, I have decided. This year I make brass. I'm going to start with the extended range offerings from HSM and see how they do. Probably end up trying a variety of factory ammo to see what the rifle seems to like...depends on what I can afford.

I also have a buddy that handloads for his 7RM, so I may see what he's up to and what loads he has been liking. Last resort would be to beg a tried and true recipe off someone on here and pay my buddy a visit.

We have gotten 3 feet of snow since January first here, so what I really want is just a chance to warm up the barrel and start in on finding zero!

mt100gr.

WKR
Which part of MT? I'm in Coeur D Alene........I have a private range and reloading facility.......lol

Nice!! I always say if I could shoot my rifles a much as i shoot my bow I'd be a decent shot:) I have hundreds of yards of property out my back door but the "neighbors" would probably get a bit nervous. The bow doesnt seem to spook them though.

I am in the Flathead Valley. There's plenty of spots to shoot close by, but with all the recent snow, access is a real bear.

After breaking in the barrel and getting the gun closer to zero I had the best group of the 20 rounds I shot. I am shooting factory ammo for now. HSM 168 Berger HPBT. I think that this ammo will do just fine for what this gun is intended for but if down the road I want to reload, Justin said he has some loads that would work good. The best 3 group picture below was shot 18, 19 & 20 with velocities of 2836, 2777, 2812

Keep in mind that I only have 20 rounds through this set up as of now. The FFP is a little tough to get used to. I found the reticles are huge at 16x magnification. I will give it some time to see if I get used to them. If not I will probably get the same scope but in a SFP. The stock feels a little cheesy still but I know its playing a huge factor in keeping the weight down and it doesn't seem to affect the accuracy.

I plan to keep this thread updated the more shoot and the farther out I get. This gun is going to be primarily for bears with a deer hunt or 2 each year. In fact its first hunt is already booked for the first weekend of August here in the WA high country. Anyway, hope this helps out with anyone looking for a new rifle.

who was your gunsmith? i have a rifle i would like a muzzle break. like the looks of yours if it performs. my barrel looks very similar. i live in washington so been looking local.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
who was your gunsmith? i have a rifle i would like a muzzle break. like the looks of yours if it performs. my barrel looks very similar. i live in washington so been looking local.
Brett Evans with Northwest Armswerkes