Tikka roughtech ranch?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Considering it will be paired with an Ultra 7 and also used by a youth hunter is the form factor much different in feel and balance from say a t3x compact or standard for that matter? I was set on the compact and getting it cut & threaded but after seeing this rancher model the LOP from the factory stock could be simpler to adjust for him and 5/8 is easier with the CB since the 1/2’s are hardly ever in stock. For some background I’ve never shot a tikka so I figured a RSS is where to start but it needs to be youth compatible. Love to get your thoughts once you’ve had a chance to send some rounds down range.
I have the same thoughts regarding this new ranch rifle vs. a compact and getting it threaded.

I’m thinking I’ll buy the ranch rifle and just pick up a used compact stock so my wife can shoot it, then I can throw the other stock on if I ever want to start using it. Sort of an easy bc voice for me since I already have a well used compact stock. I like that it comes threaded so I don’t need to send it in. That always costs more than it should when o have to ship a barreled action out of Alaska in a non standard box.

Antares

WKR
They’re getting closer, but I want a factory, threaded, 16” or 18” SS barrel in a sporter contour, not the D18.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
They’re getting closer, but I want a factory, threaded, 16” or 18” SS barrel in a sporter contour, not the D18.
Just get a super light and chop it.

Attachments

• IMG_2121.jpeg
    IMG_2121.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 44

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Possible to thread the fluted barrel? No problem suppressed at 16”?
Yes. Tons of Roksliders have done it, so I did it too… no issue doing 1/2x28 on the 6.5cm pictured. I just got it back from the smith yesterday. The bolt is still at Kampfield for fluting. The rifle will be put into a Peak 44 stock for a light weight, “walking” rifle.

OP
W

wesfromky

WKR
IMG_7218.jpeg
6.5cm CTR with 20" barrel with OCL .30 cal Hydrogen L
Roughtech ranch in .350L with OCL lithium (have a 8.6 Hydrogen S in jail for this one)
Roughtech ranch in .223 with OCL 6.5 cal Hydrogen S
T1x in .22lr with DA mask.

Considering it will be paired with an Ultra 7 and also used by a youth hunter is the form factor much different in feel and balance from say a t3x compact or standard for that matter? I was set on the compact and getting it cut & threaded but after seeing this rancher model the LOP from the factory stock could be simpler to adjust for him and 5/8 is easier with the CB since the 1/2’s are hardly ever in stock. For some background I’ve never shot a tikka so I figured a RSS is where to start but it needs to be youth compatible. Love to get your thoughts once you’ve had a chance to send some rounds down range.

Last I priced out a 223 T3x compact from online sources I could get one for $650ish. I’d just go that route and have it shipped directly to adco or similar to have them thread 5/8 w a shoulder, then ship to your ffl.

bullmtn

FNG
Took my Roughtech Ranch out this weekend, I bought this as a trainer rifle and boy do I need training :oops:. Gun shoots well, really enjoying it. Amazing how easy rounds go down the tube of a 223 compared to my normal hunting rifle. Nice setup out of the gate.

Subs

FNG
The pic rail is glued on and very secure. It is a good mounting platform.

Tally LW are a compromised system.
Thanks for the info. I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm curious about why the Talleys are a compromised system. I've use them with success in the past and always figured since they get the scope low to the barrel and remove a set of hardware and point of possible articulation, they were a good solution.

Got mine in 223 put together this weekend. Gonna be a great do all rifle. Hunting, trainer, kids, short distance PRS style matches...

Attachments

• 20240922_133509.jpg
    20240922_133509.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the info. I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm curious about why the Talleys are a compromised system. I've use them with success in the past and always figured since they get the scope low to the barrel and remove a set of hardware and point of possible articulation, they were a good solution.

This thread should cover it.

Hawkins makes talley style rings that aren't as prone to crack. Otherwise search this forum for sportsmatch or UM tikka rings that utilize the existing integrated tikka receiver dovetail and recoil pins. That is the best mousetrap for a hunting tikka IMO. Sportsmatch will be cheaper and lighter than the UM rings if that is a concern. The UM rings are a little more refined and come with more options for recoil pins.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

@wind gypsy covered it pretty well above. I would read that thread.

The tikka has an integral rail- use it. The caveat is that tikka bins the pic rail onto the receiver, and it is solid as can be. If you want to use pic rings, the provided rail is extremely low in height and is an excellent choice.