Tikka Nitriding

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
I have a feeling that more of the dragging you are feeling is the deep flutes cut into the bolt.

Was the bolt fluted prior to the lightening job you had done?

Not sure. It was all done in parallel I believe before nitriding. I gave it the old Hawk Tua with CLP and it’s fine now. No better than stock as far as I can tell.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have a feeling that more of the dragging you are feeling is the deep flutes cut into the bolt.

Was the bolt fluted prior to the lightening job you had done?
Factory fluted tikka and Sako bolts have zero “drag” feeling. If I handed you one of each blind folded and told you to run the action 50 times, you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

Maybe the aftermarket flutes are deeper.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The “lightening” and “nitriding” or “coating” of Tikka actions is just plain not needed at all. A well done nitride job can have benefits but it’s rarely done well, and when it’s not done well it’s a net negative. The lightening of the action and fluting of the bolts are net negatives across the board.

Leave the guns alone and spend that money on ammo and gas money to your shooting spots. Shoot enough that you need that money for another barrel instead.

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
Factory fluted tikka and Sako bolts have zero “drag” feeling. If I handed you one of each blind folded and told you to run the action 50 times, you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

Maybe the aftermarket flutes are deeper.
The UM (Kampfeld?) flutes on the bolt are much sharper than the factory flutes on my Ember.

The “lightening” and “nitriding” or “coating” of Tikka actions is just plain not needed at all. A well done nitride job can have benefits but it’s rarely done well, and when it’s not done well it’s a net negative. The lightening of the action and fluting of the bolts are net negatives across the board.

Leave the guns alone and spend that money on ammo and gas money to your shooting spots. Shoot enough that you need that money for another barrel instead.
Agreed. Learned a lesson here...

ljalberta

WKR
I’m getting the nitride, pockets and fluting done on one for the heck of it, but suspect I won’t touch the actions and bolts of my other Tikkas. Sure looks pretty cool though.

khuber84

WKR
I just disassembled a stainless T3X action and bolt to send to H&M for nitride, you guys say no? It's more for elemental protection, as I'm hard on shit. My first tikka stainless did slowly acquire a small bit of spot rust on the outside surfaces.