Tikka Barrel Removal and Install Tool Swap Thread

I'm looking to remove a factory lite barrel and install a factory 308win lite barrel.

Are anyone's tools available? Anyone have a 308 gauge set they'd be willing to let me borrow?

@gtriple @Jimbee @HandgunHTR

Hey, sorry, I was in South Texas all week chasing Nilgai, so I just saw this. Shoot me a PM and we can probably work something out for my action wrenches. I think I may have gauges for the .308 family of cartridges as well. Do you need a vise as well?

thauglor

FNG
I have a vice similar to the pma one (a viper) but my barrel keeps slipping inside it. Is leather the best option? I see tape was an alternative, what kind of tape are we talking about?

Thanks

Tahoe1305

WKR
I have a vice similar to the pma one (a viper) but my barrel keeps slipping inside it. Is leather the best option? I see tape was an alternative, what kind of tape are we talking about?

Thanks
I used leather and it slipped. My last few I used a toilet paper roll and it did not slip. Obviously they are all torqued slightly different so not sure if the roll was “better” or the barrel was just easier to get off. But it worked.

I use a viper vise as well

Thanks

I just use drywall tape. A roll will cost you $5 and you could probably do 250 barrels with a roll, and that includes using some around your action for the barrel removal using an outside action wrench.

Sent a message to get on the list but haven’t heard back ye so I figured I’d post as well.
I’d like to borrow/rent tools from someone when they’re available! Also I’d buy a 223 and 243 go no go gauge if anyone has one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbee

WKR
Sent a message to get on the list but haven’t heard back ye so I figured I’d post as well.
I’d like to borrow/rent tools from someone when they’re available! Also I’d buy a 223 and 243 go no go gauge if anyone has one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can send them your way next.

Would like to be added to the list if at all possible. Just purchased a factory barrel from @Sierra Hunter that was threaded.

My gun barrel is currently soaking in liquid wrench so fingers crossed it comes off easy.

I’d like to get on the list if possible. I have two T3Xs I need to remove the barrels in and install a carbon six and a PBB.

Also looking for 280 AI no go/go gauges if anyone has them.

Thanks guys!

Would like to be added to the list if at all possible. Just purchased a factory barrel from @Sierra Hunter that was threaded.

My gun barrel is currently soaking in liquid wrench so fingers crossed it comes off easy.
Please take me off the list. Was able to source tools locally.

+1 on soaking barrel threads. I used liquid wrench. Also, using tp roll/brown sugar in the barrel vice was an awesome little trick.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
Please take me off the list. Was able to source tools locally.

+1 on soaking barrel threads. I used liquid wrench. Also, using tp roll/brown sugar in the barrel vice was an awesome little trick.
I just read a thread about someone using brown sugar and was skeptical to say the least. I should be trying that out in the next couple of weeks if everything gets here in a timely manner. How long did you soak it?

I just read a thread about someone using brown sugar and was skeptical to say the least. I should be trying that out in the next couple of weeks if everything gets here in a timely manner. How long did you soak it?
Like 2 weeks. I put a fired case in the chamber. Then would squirt some liquid wrench in there. Trying for twice a day but atleast once every two days.

It was on another forum but it ranked various penetrating oils. Liquid wrench was #2. #1 was a home brew. Don’t remember specifically but I think it was like acetone and tranny fluid. I opted for liquid wrench. 😂

Like 2 weeks. I put a fired case in the chamber. Then would squirt some liquid wrench in there. Trying for twice a day but atleast once every two days.

It was on another forum but it ranked various penetrating oils. Liquid wrench was #2. #1 was a home brew. Don’t remember specifically but I think it was like acetone and tranny fluid. I opted for liquid wrench. 😂
Oh, it was ranked 3rd. But cheaper and not much less effective.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
Oh, it was ranked 3rd. But cheaper and not much less effective.

I planned on using liquid wrench so I already got some. If I start soaking it now it might be ready by the time my vise and barrel get here lol

Jimbee

WKR
I have jjohnsonelk, timberline001 and silasbowhunter in line for using tools. Did I miss anyone?

Does anyone have .300 win mag go gauge I can borrow? Obviously I’ll pay shipping both ways and can give deposit if desired.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
Well I lost round 1. Couldn’t get adequate leverage without the barreled action spinning. Will continue soaking in liquid wrench in the meantime.

Bowfinn

FNG
Well I lost round 1. Couldn’t get adequate leverage without the barreled action spinning. Will continue soaking in liquid wrench in the meantime.
What did you use to wrap the barrel with? I just changed my barrel yesterday and wrapping it with printer paper worked great. A few hits easy with a 3lb hammer broke it loose, and I didn’t soak it. Also make sure you have your barrel vice tight. I tightened my down until my viper barrel vice until it contoured the barrel.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
What did you use to wrap the barrel with? I just changed my barrel yesterday and wrapping it with printer paper worked great. A few hits easy with a 3lb hammer broke it loose, and I didn’t soak it. Also make sure you have your barrel vice tight. I tightened my down until my viper barrel vice until it contoured the barrel.
Finally got it. Took a 4 foot breaker bar to tighten down the vise evenly. The barrel still spun. It was wrapped with brown sugar and a toilet paper roll. So I busted out a 36 inch pipe wrench and had my buddy @Bc45 pull the pipe wrench while I had the wheeler number 1 with a 4 foot breaker bar and it finally broke loose. Threads were full of the penetrating oil as well.