Tikka after 19,000+ rounds (M595 and T3’s)

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome. Though, I do not envy you if you ever try to sell anything on the classifieds here 🤣
After the cost of 20,000+ rds of ammo, plus any costs associated with shooting that much (travel, tags, match fees) the cost of a factory Tikka is approaching a rounding error.

Pretty cool overall, love to see good equipment get well used. I did have a shooting partner break a bolt stop pin on a T3 in a match (prior to when they slotted them). It added a challenge to the rest of the weekend but is an easy fix and they've improved that design since.

I built my entire bolt action system around TL3's, which I still appreciate, but did my latest hunting rifle on a T3X for a few reasons unrelated to cost.

SDHNTR

WKR
Stuff gets used with my group- really used.

Never. If they get lots of dirt, sand or debris in the action, I’ll wipe it off or if really bad spray out with brake cleaner. Otherwise just put a bit of lube on the bolt and bolt lugs every couple of thousand rounds.
Where I live is surrounded by saltwater. Most mornings everything outside is coated in a salty dew. Give a barrel a few weeks without cleaning and moisture will get under the fouling and start pitting.

And I’m assuming if you use brake cleaner it’s non chlorinated only?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Where I live is surrounded by saltwater. Most mornings everything outside is coated in a salty dew. Give a barrel a few weeks without cleaning and moisture will get under the fouling and start pitting.

I have lived in similar. I would generally just use a stainless in that case.

And I’m assuming if you use brake cleaner it’s non chlorinated only?

Yes sir.

nobody

WKR
Wow, just wow. This is unreal. Insane to see what these things can really take! Gives perspective to those of us who baby our rifles. This proves that they really are tools and are meant to be truly used.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus
very informative. thanks for sharing this. Few questions.

1. What situation provides the opportunity to shoot that many number of rounds.

Serious shooters, some jobs. I have friends that lay for and shoot 20,000-30,000 rifle rounds a year.

2. Why do you have tapes on the scope

Some tape has data or information written on it. Some is for securing scope caps, etc.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
This is going to sound really dumb, but toxicity related to some sort of residue in the rifle? Or to people?

Is that specific to rifle cleaning or you're a fan of non-chlorinated brake clean for any application?

Getting out of my true knowledge base; however, problems with health for the shooter.

Rooggvc

WKR
What kind of tape do you use on your scope turrets? It kinda looks like athletic tape?

ljalberta

WKR
These rifles are easily some of the ugliest I’ve seen. I absolutely love it.

I’m generally pretty rough on gear, but I don’t think all my guns over the past decade have seen some of the use and abuse one of these experiences in a year.

I appreciate you sharing these. It’ll make some heads spin for sure in terms of the claims of the Tikka’s ‘plastic’ durability, and the need to scrub a gun for 10 minutes after every outing, but it’s hard to argue against someone’s actual experience.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
What kind of tape do you use on your scope turrets? It kinda looks like athletic tape?

Yes, that’s white athletic to medical tape. It was used to make ad hoc BDC turrets.

I appreciate you sharing these. It’ll make some heads spin for sure in terms of the claims of the Tikka’s ‘plastic’ durability, and the need to scrub a gun for 10 minutes after every outing, but it’s hard to argue against someone’s actual experience.

The worry over “plastic” on Tikkas is one of the greatest BS myths out there in all of gundom. The only “plastic” on current T3’s are the bottom metal and magazine. For a variety of reasons good polymer is better in very cold conditions most of them time than steel or metal. The magazine would be worse if it were metal, so that’s a nonstarter; and the bottom “metal” polymer is beyond tough enough for the job and is much nicer than a metal one in the cold. I’ve used multiple aftermarket metal ones and have replaced them all with factory ones.