Tikka actions vs Custom Actions

Gila

WKR
Ve
1. Trigger. 2. LA mag max COAL 3.56. 3. Smallish barrel tenon may find pressure early on bigger magnums. 4. LA stock/chassis options.
The dimensions given for AICS mags are the outside dimension that fits the mag well. You can only stuff a COAL of about 3.47 to 3.48” in a 3.56” mag….and that dimension may or may not run up the feed ramp for some bullets.

Me personally if i rebarreled one on a standard boltface 30-06AI or 280AI. Magnum bolfface it probably be 300wsm or 300wm.

Reason being i have two custom 6.5prcs and a newly completed 6.5saum. Probably dont need anything more than the 6.5 cal. But i do like to have a 30cal rifle around.

I wouldn't use a tikka for a 06 based cartridge or 300 WM just due to OAL constraints. A SAUM/WSM/RCM type case would make more sense.

sharps54

FNG
The internal action is the constraint on the Tikkas. Unless you're willing to compromise significantly on powder capacity, the standard Tikka action doesn't support extra long high BC bullets. For example, you cannot take full advantage of the 130 class bullets in .25-06 in the standard Tikka without seating them deep. A guy would have to mill out the action to get more length assuming you had a barrel throated appropriately as well. This is often solved by a 25 Creed or 25-284 semi-custom build on the standard action.
From what they have said on the Shoot2Hunt podcast the magazines will also come with a new bolt stop to allow a longer round to feed but I’d recommend you call UM for specifics, I’m not affiliated with them.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I don't know of any modifications that make them operate "better".

Me personally I would rather have a tikka than a "custom" 700 pattern action.
I simply don’t like 90 degree bolt throw. I know not all 700 type actions are but still…

I also don’t like AICS mags or BDL, I haven’t handled a rifle with the former that don’t rattle.

Tikka’s are the easy button for me. Smooth and simple.

Last edited:

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
From what they have said on the Shoot2Hunt podcast the magazines will also come with a new bolt stop to allow a longer round to feed but I’d recommend you call UM for specifics, I’m not affiliated with them.
Well that is something. Hmm. I would like to learn more details, like would short mag type cases feed from the magnum mag, or is it too long for those.

Interesting. When I was mocking up dummy rounds for my .25-06, it failed to feed reliably with OAL around 3.33" in standard action with LA bolt stop due to jamming in the action. If the new DBM and bolt stop solve this problem that should help out guys with -06 and longer cases that want to go that route. I'd still probably go the 25-284 route simply because I can still run standard DBM and mags with virtually the same performance as the -06.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Interesting. When I was mocking up dummy rounds for my .25-06, it failed to feed reliably with OAL around 3.33" in standard action with LA bolt stop due to jamming in the action. If the new DBM and bolt stop solve this problem that should help out guys with -06 and longer cases.
That’s what I instantly thought too, no need for a 25-284, just do a fast twist 25-06 and call it a day…. Everytime I feel like I have the next build figured out, a new variable pops up…

I wonder how a 25-06AI would perform out of a 18” barrel…

ID_Matt

WKR
I have built quite a few guns on both lone peaks and tikkas. The biggest difference i notice is the difference in bolt lift between the two. Lone peak feels like a well oiled machine and tikka feels like a clunky toy. Having said that, my current hunting gun is a tikka due to the claimed reliability. Competition guns are the customs. Integral rails sure are nice too for swapping scopes around.

That’s what I instantly thought too, no need for a 25-284, just do a fast twist 25-06 and call it a day…. Everytime I feel like I have the next build figured out, a new variable pops up…

I wonder how a 25-06AI would perform out of a 18” barrel…
Only other issue with .25-06 is brass availability. With .25-06AI you also have to either fireform brass or shoot standard loads to form and build up your brass over time.

I went down the path of necking down and trimming .30-06 brass and I wouldn’t do it again. You’re looking at either multiple steps down or one step and neck turning. It’s a lot of time and hassle to get average brass and it’s really easy to screw up the case necks.

I have some 25-06AI load data from Berger I can share too. It’s all based on 26” barrel, so you’d want to subtract ~200fps for 18” barrel.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have built quite a few guns on both lone peaks and tikkas. The biggest difference i notice is the difference in bolt lift between the two. Lone peak feels like a well oiled machine and tikka feels like a clunky toy. Having said that, my current hunting gun is a tikka due to the claimed reliability. Competition guns are the customs. Integral rails sure are nice too for swapping scopes around.
We did a shooting weekend in 2019 on my ranch back in Northern CA. Wind was calmish on Saturday and it went decently for everyone’s guns. One gun quit making hits and it turned out to be a loss of zero (Leupold Mark 5).

Sunday the wind and dust picked up really bad. We pressed on and continued the 10 hour match to close it out. We got our asses kicked by those conditions.

We had 3 actions fail to chamber and shoot due to dust and dirt getting in the guns. 2 were Lone Peak and one was a BAT. All of the Tikkas and Sakos ran with zero issues.

I would say it depends on the type of competition you’re in.

We had 3 actions fail to chamber and shoot due to dust and dirt getting in the guns. 2 were Lone Peak and one was a BAT. All of the Tikkas and Sakos ran with zero issues.

For PRS-style competitions (which is usually what people mean), the R700 clones dominate for whatever reason. I am not claiming that this makes R700 clones superior, just maybe they're better suited for those competitions.

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv been shooting the same tikka for PRS for 4 years, cause im stubborn and it works. Its like a Toyota, not fancy but it works. I always say I’m going to get an impact by the end of the year but never do.

I havnt seen any of the issues mentioned in the linked thread.

I do feel like my one custom does handle pressure better.

Also the bolt lift of the tikka is a bit of a pain compared to others iv cycled. Hard to spend 1400 on a new action when that is barrel and a bunch of components.

The only positives I see to a custom,

Integral rail, if UM ever comes out with a 20 moa mount that could solve that.
Actual long action compatible
Many more options for prefits
AW mag cuts for comp shooters

Iv seen tikkas frozen shut too. I try to keep my action as clean as I can.

Last edited:

ID_Matt

WKR
We did a shooting weekend in 2019 on my ranch back in Northern CA. Wind was calmish on Saturday and it went decently for everyone’s guns. One gun quit making hits and it turned out to be a loss of zero (Leupold Mark 5).

Sunday the wind and dust picked up really bad. We pressed on and continued the 10 hour match to close it out. We got our asses kicked by those conditions.

Is that a chamber problem? Or do tikkas somehow not let as much dust and dirt in to the chamber?

I know the trigger thing is real in dust. Definitely swapped triggers in between match days.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Interesting. When I was mocking up dummy rounds for my .25-06, it failed to feed reliably with OAL around 3.33" in standard action with LA bolt stop due to jamming in the action. If the new DBM and bolt stop solve this problem that should help out guys with -06 and longer cases that want to go that route. I'd still probably go the 25-284 route simply because I can still run standard DBM and mags with virtually the same performance as the -06.
Strange, I load my 30-06 to max coal and it’s always fed and functions perfectly. Great accuracy too.