Tikka .243 AI

OP
E

eric1115

WKR
120ish rounds through the gun now, barrel has sped up to 3150 for the 106 with intermittent slight pressure signs at 50.5. Groups have opened up a bit too, so I've got 15 each at 50.0 and 49.5 to see if I can bring it back down a bit and be a bit happier.

OP
E

eric1115

WKR
Interestingly, dropping a grain didn't change velocity very much, 3130 5 round average. 10 rounds at 49.5 printed this group, and the one high round showed ejector mark on the brass. Wind has been whipping and gusty, to the point of disrupting steady sight picture at times.1000002355.jpg

AZ_Hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
Great thread. Please keep us updated, I’m seriously thinking about copying you.

OP
E

eric1115

WKR
I've shot a couple hundred rounds at 47.0 gr H1000, 3050 fps, and I think I'm going to drop another ½ grain (or buy some new brass and re-work)... I've lost a few primers and occasionally still get ejector marks (got some supposedly lightly loaded 2-3x fired Lapua brass already AI formed, and it's been a bit of a headache)

I've been super happy with it, but deep down I think I would have been better served by a 6CM or straight .243win. I have more money into Redding dies and rechamber than I would have into a PBB 6CM and Hornady or RCBS dies. Part of this is my own doing, got a wee bit carried away and ended up (almost by accident, long story) with Redding competition micrometer seater, neck, and FL dies and $100 in bushings and VLD seater stem. Probably close to $500 wrapped up in dies. If they were all purchased new.

Can't deny that the .243AI looks incredibly cool with a 106 seated long, and that's really the most important thing.

If I were going to do .243AI again I would 100% rethink my die setup. Type S FL, and probably do a little more research on seating dies. I think the basic ones from Redding don't allow the use of a VLD stem which would be a deal breaker if true.

All that said, zero regrets selling off my 7mmRM and committing to this as my new all range all species hunting rifle. Great shooting, easy shot spotting, great suppressed, I love it.

sveltri

WKR
I've shot a couple hundred rounds at 47.0 gr H1000, 3050 fps, and I think I'm going to drop another ½ grain (or buy some new brass and re-work)... I've lost a few primers and occasionally still get ejector marks (got some supposedly lightly loaded 2-3x fired Lapua brass already AI formed, and it's been a bit of a headache)

I've been super happy with it, but deep down I think I would have been better served by a 6CM or straight .243win. I have more money into Redding dies and rechamber than I would have into a PBB 6CM and Hornady or RCBS dies. Part of this is my own doing, got a wee bit carried away and ended up (almost by accident, long story) with Redding competition micrometer seater, neck, and FL dies and $100 in bushings and VLD seater stem. Probably close to $500 wrapped up in dies. If they were all purchased new.

Can't deny that the .243AI looks incredibly cool with a 106 seated long, and that's really the most important thing.

If I were going to do .243AI again I would 100% rethink my die setup. Type S FL, and probably do a little more research on seating dies. I think the basic ones from Redding don't allow the use of a VLD stem which would be a deal breaker if true.

All that said, zero regrets selling off my 7mmRM and committing to this as my new all range all species hunting rifle. Great shooting, easy shot spotting, great suppressed, I love it.
Sorry to hear your experience isn't going great. I guess I've been fortunate, I'm at 50ish grains H1000 with the 108's at 3100 no pressure signs at all, even at 90 degrees. I went fairly cheap on the dies and got the Lee 243 collet die and a Redding type S with the button removed. So far everything has been good. I do have to clean this gun fairly regular or I get carbon ring. Have you looked inside with a bore scope yet?

Sorry to hear your experience isn't going great. I guess I've been fortunate, I'm at 50ish grains H1000 with the 108's at 3100 no pressure signs at all, even at 90 degrees. I went fairly cheap on the dies and got the Lee 243 collet die and a Redding type S with the button removed. So far everything has been good. I do have to clean this gun fairly regular or I get carbon ring. Have you looked inside with a bore scope yet?

My first thought was if @eric1115 is going the no cleaning route and that being tied to him having to frequently reduce his powder charge.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been super happy with it, but deep down I think I would have been better served by a 6CM or straight .243win.
Aside from the dies and all that there is no denying, imho, that fire forming brass sucks in general and worse yet if its on a barrel with a shorter lifespan. Someone will chime in "practice" for the fire forming, yeah yeah, still annoying. Being able to just buy 6cm brass from a good supplier is what keeps repeating in my head each time I wonder about 243AI.

sveltri

WKR
Aside from the dies and all that there is no denying, imho, that fire forming brass sucks in general and worse yet if its on a barrel with a shorter lifespan. Someone will chime in "practice" for the fire forming, yeah yeah, still annoying. Being able to just buy 6cm brass from a good supplier is what keeps repeating in my head each time I wonder about 243AI.
If starting from from scratch, sure the 6CM wins. I wasn't, therefore the 243 AI won. What is it that actually sucks about fire forming? Losing a piece of fire formed brass does suck, aside from that what?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If starting from from scratch, sure the 6CM wins. I wasn't, therefore the 243 AI won. What is it that actually sucks about fire forming? Losing a piece of fire formed brass does suck, aside from that what?
I have a 280AI and got it when nosler was the only one making brass so I made my own which was my fireforming experience background. Issues I had was it burned up components and barrel life on a temporary load. Yes you can dial in a load and practice with it but its not nearly as efficient. My major gripe just has to do with the fact I can't readily shoot without travel/time involved and if you need more brass on short notice that can suck. I made a mistake with a new lot of powder in some softer brass and lost all my primer pockets on that batch of brass while hunting, I didn't realize it till I went to load more rounds for another hunt and had to do an emergency trip to just form more brass. Yes that was my error and poor planning. It just isn't something one has to deal with if there is good formed brass already available.

Not bagging on the 243AI, I just wouldn't want one with 6CM component availability.