Tikka 223

hunterjmj

WKR
Headed down the rabbit hole. Always been a Remington guy and didn't want to try a tikka but the 223 thread got my attention and here I am. I've been a match bullet hunter for many years but never small caliber until I read through this whole 223 post. Anyhow, bought a tikka 223, dies, rings, scope, primers, powder, bullets, ammo, etc. I'm full in this year for antelope, deer and elk. Antelope season starts next week so I don't have time to load up the 77tmk's but I have a decent supply of factory 73 Eldm's that'll get me going. I'll load the 77tmk's next week and get it dialed in before deer/elk season

Attachments

• IMG_4186.jpeg
    IMG_4186.jpeg
    321.4 KB · Views: 78
You’re gonna like that set up. It was also my first Tikka and now have 4.
My Tikka .223 will also be out on the opener next weekend with both kids.
Cannot wait for next Saturday!

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
Cranked 40 rounds today. A couple at 50 to dial it in then at 100 then out to 200. This rifle shoots great. Brought it back to 50 and let my girls shoot a bunch. Both girls 6 & 8 had a blast. They both have experience shooting their 22 crickets so it was a small jump to the 223.
Loving the mountain tactical outdoorsman knob. Small and tight but easy to manipulate.

Cranked 40 rounds today. A couple at 50 to dial it in then at 100 then out to 200. This rifle shoots great. Brought it back to 50 and let my girls shoot a bunch. Both girls 6 & 8 had a blast. They both have experience shooting their 22 crickets so it was a small jump to the 223.
Loving the mountain tactical outdoorsman knob. Small and tight but easy to manipulate.
One thing I started doing after listening to Form talk about probabilities is zeroing off of 30 round groups. Also, if I can have a 20-30 round group under 1.5 moa I am happy. If you can, take it out as far as your scope travel will allow. It’ll teach you a lot about wind and watching your impacts.

I got mine put together over the weekend took it out with a case of adi 69 grain ammo zeroed at 100 and shot a 10 shot group right about 2 moa pretty decent for cheap ammo and a 6x scope. Went right to shooting positional groups at 100 it’s a fun rifle just need to get the barrel threaded for a can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
One thing I started doing after listening to Form talk about probabilities is zeroing off of 30 round groups. Also, if I can have a 20-30 round group under 1.5 moa I am happy. If you can, take it out as far as your scope travel will allow. It’ll teach you a lot about wind and watching your impacts.
Once I have time to load up a bunch of rounds I'll be doing exactly that. I just have to have it shooting for the antelope opener on Saturday. I shot (2)5 round groups at 200 and they were probably 1.5". Going to shoot again after work today and hopefully one more time before the end of the week.

Unckebob

WKR
I hope you enjoy yours. Mine arrives at the FFL today.

I plan to use it as a trainer rifle for my kids and myself.

ElPollo

WKR
I’ll echo what others have said. My suppressed 223 Tikka is, hands down, the most fun rifle I own. My daughter and wife love shooting it. It’s quiet and easy to spot impacts through the scope at ranges of less than 200 yards. It’s also cheap to feed, so you won’t be afraid to shoot it a lot. I’ve got close to 1200 rounds through mine since Feb and I shot it this weekend out past 600 yards at the range. The 73 gr ELDMs will work fine on pronghorn, but Palmetto State Armory has AAC 77 gr TMKs right now for about $0.80/round. Do yourself a favor and go order 1k. Their 75 gr Black Sabre is also a good practice round at about $0.60/round. It’s actually a Hornady VMAX. I would prefer the TMK for big game, but the POI is similar with my rifle.

Man I'm almost ready to buy a Tikka and have been wanting a 243 for my small caliber downgrade but threads like these have me rethinking that! 223 might have the be the choice

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Loving mine.

It's hard to take any free time to work up a load for my former elk gun ( Browning A-bolt 300 win mag) in order to sell it. I'd rather load more 223 and shoot.

Maybe when it's 30 below.

I’ll echo what others have said. My suppressed 223 Tikka is, hands down, the most fun rifle I own. My daughter and wife love shooting it. It’s quiet and easy to spot impacts through the scope at ranges of less than 200 yards. It’s also cheap to feed, so you won’t be afraid to shoot it a lot. I’ve got close to 1200 rounds through mine since Feb and I shot it this weekend out past 600 yards at the range. The 73 gr ELDMs will work fine on pronghorn, but Palmetto State Armory has AAC 77 gr TMKs right now for about $0.80/round. Do yourself a favor and go order 1k. Their 75 gr Black Sabre is also a good practice round at about $0.60/round. It’s actually a Hornady VMAX. I would prefer the TMK for big game, but the POI is similar with my rifle.

Have you shot their 75 bthp? I ordered 250 this morning.

My gun seems to like the Hornady Black 75 bthp so I'm hoping the AAC perform similarly.

ElPollo

WKR
Have you shot their 75 bthp? I ordered 250 this morning.

My gun seems to like the Hornady Black 75 bthp so I'm hoping the AAC perform similarly.
I have not. Should be fine practice ammo. The BTHP has a reputation for being less consistent in terms of expansion/fragmentation on impact, sort of like the SMKs. It would not be my choice for critters.