Tikka 223 trainer

waspocrew

WKR
I tried the AAC 75 gr blacktip over the weekend. They were 2.5” for a 20 round group. BH 77gr TMK and a couple other loads were easily an inch tighter in terms of groups, but we’re more than double the cost. Reasonable practice ammo for a reasonable cost, but I would stick to the black hills for anything with hair.

Good to know - I'll get around to trying out the 75 gr black tip shortly to compare to the 62s.

MattB

WKR
I tried the AAC 75 gr blacktip over the weekend. They were 2.5” for a 20 round group. BH 77gr TMK and a couple other loads were easily an inch tighter in terms of groups, but we’re more than double the cost. Reasonable practice ammo for a reasonable cost, but I would stick to the black hills for anything with hair.
The black tip is a hollow point?

ElPollo

WKR
The black tip is a polymer tip like an eldm. It has a much lower BC though.

BC is listed at .334, but it was $0.50 per round on sale.

MattB

WKR
The black tip is a polymer tip like an eldm. It has a much lower BC though.

BC is listed at .334, but it was $0.50 per round on sale.
I know, was obtusely inquiring why you quoted my post on the 75 gr. hollow point match rounds when criticizing the accuracy of an entirely different tipped round?

ElPollo

WKR
I know, was obtusely inquiring why you quoted my post on the 75 gr. hollow point match rounds when criticizing the accuracy of an entirely different tipped round?
Since this is the internet, you are free to ignore any or all of it. I was not criticizing that ammo. I merely stated what it would do with my rifle, and I honestly don’t think that is all that bad for a 20-round group with ammo that is $0.50/round.

I recently tried out the AAC 77 gr OTM and the 75 gr. BTHP and the 75 grainers were much more accurate in my Tikka.

I haven't shot a ton of them but the small sample sizes i had were similar - AAC 75 BTHP (hornady bullets?) shot better than the more expensive AAC 77 gr SMKs. I got some sticky bolt lift with them though so figured i'd leave em to AR blasting.

Have a new 223 wylde barrel for the tikka headed my way and might give them another shot, but probably not because I've got enough other ammo to shoot.

MattB

WKR
I haven't shot a ton of them but the small sample sizes i had were similar - AAC 75 BTHP (hornady bullets?) shot better than the more expensive AAC 77 gr SMKs. I got some sticky bolt lift with them though so figured i'd leave em to AR blasting.
The website says they are Hornady bullets (looks like they recently updated the product description with even more info on that topic) and quite a number of guys believe they are the T1C.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm picking up a Tikka 223, I've read through various threads on ammo and was thinking of trying some AAC stuff. Currently they have in stock the 556 version of 75gr bthp, 75gr sabre black tip, 77gr otm.

Sounds like folks have been saying the 75gr bthp has shot the best for those who have tried multiple?

mchrist

FNG
Talk me out of buying this gun as a trainer rifle! I’m convinced I need one, is this a solid choice? Is there something I’m missing out that’s available in the factory rifle market?
Do you shoot a tikka for a hunting rifle also? I would think it would be more beneficial to have a more direct transferable skill from one rifle to another if using a very similar system.

I'm picking up a Tikka 223, I've read through various threads on ammo and was thinking of trying some AAC stuff. Currently they have in stock the 556 version of 75gr bthp, 75gr sabre black tip, 77gr otm.

Sounds like folks have been saying the 75gr bthp has shot the best for those who have tried multiple?
Yes. But 73 ELDm factory has been one of my favorites, notably better than the aac. ADI 55 sbk is good too but will get blown around a big more

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes. But 73 ELDm factory has been one of my favorites, notably better than the aac. ADI 55 sbk is good too but will get blown around a big more
I'm looking for initial practice ammo with reasonable grouping in this request, looks that that ammo is ~$1.2ish a round. The 73eld is on my radar to work up a load for eventually.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

My Tikka .223 8 twist 20” barrel, for factory ammo, shoots the Sierra 77 TMKs the most accurately. Had great results with Hornady 73 ELDM and AAC 75 BTHP as well.

This was the first box of Sierra 77 TMKs that went through the gun at 100 yards. 2 sight in shots and then 48 straight shots after that to finish off the box. Been shooting them ever since.

IMG_7112.jpeg

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My Tikka .223 8 twist 20” barrel, for factory ammo, shoots the Sierra 77 TMKs the most accurately. Had great results with Hornady 73 ELDM and AAC 75 BTHP as well.

This was the first box of Sierra 77 TMKs that went through the gun at 100 yards. 2 sight in shots and then 48 straight shots after that to finish off the box. Been shooting them ever since.
Yes everyone seems to indicate the BH 77 tmk ammo is solid, I did order some of that but its also not cost effective for constant practice ammo. If/when 77tmk bullets become available I'll work up a load for those assuming the BH ammo shoots well in my gun along with the 103ELDM.

Short term I want some reasonably accurate / cost effective ammo to let my boys practice away on this and I'll work up a load this winter when I have time and a pile of brass. Sounded like the AAC fit that bill decently (unless there is something else notable in the $.60 range) and I was just debating on wether to order a bit of all 3 or more of just the 75bthp.

Yes everyone seems to indicate the BH 77 tmk ammo is solid, I did order some of that but its also not cost effective for constant practice ammo. If/when 77tmk bullets become available I'll work up a load for those assuming the BH ammo shoots well in my gun along with the 103ELDM.

Short term I want some reasonably accurate / cost effective ammo to let my boys practice away on this and I'll work up a load this winter when I have time and a pile of brass. Sounded like the AAC fit that bill decently (unless there is something else notable in the $.60 range) and I was just debating on wether to order a bit of all 3 or more of just the 75bthp.

They make 69 SMK ADI ammo but the last case I got of it didn’t shoot as well as the 55 sbk.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They make 69 SMK ADI ammo but the last case I got of it didn’t shoot as well as the 55 sbk.
Yeah I saw you had mentioned that and with that in mind is how I was leaning towards the AAC stuff in the 75/77gr turf vs going down in weight.

OP
Pistolpete28

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
Do you shoot a tikka for a hunting rifle also? I would think it would be more beneficial to have a more direct transferable skill from one rifle to another if using a very similar system.
That actually make alot of sense, my “hunting rifles” are both 700 platform. I bought the tikka and have been shooting more the last 2 months, than I did the last 2 years! I practice a lot more positions instead of just prone. Never thought I’d see the day where I was making 700 yard impacts sitting using my backpack and trekking poles. Then spotting impact through my scope.