Tikka 223 magazine feeding issues

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Around how many rounds do you typically get? I've only got around 1000-1200 rounds thru this thing. I was hoping they would last a little longer as Beretta is really proud of these thing in Canada.

That’s probably when I would not be surprised if issues popped up- 1,000 to 2,000 rounds/cycles.

You might contact Beretta and see if they will warranty them.

flyinsquirel

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
View attachment 721660
Is this what your mag would do when it wouldn't feed? The rear of the cartridge doesn't raise far enough for the bolt to catch it? Looking at my mag it seems like it's too open at the front of the feed lips. It used to feed flawlessly, then an occasional misfeed, now it's pretty much useless. I also should add that I've stretched the spring multiple times which hasn't helped at all.
That’s exactly what it did. Put some heat to her.

kopmantrey

Lil-Rokslider
The 4 round mags I'm having issues with have 500 ish rounds through each and have had issues since day one.

Elite

WKR
Is stretching the spring the only fix for a brand new mag having issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firth

FNG
Is stretching the spring the only fix for a brand new mag having issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a 4 and a 6 that stretching hasn't really helped with. Maybe a couple hundred rounds through each. Both had problems since day one. The factory original magazine has been good. The two I've had problems with were replacements.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I have a 4 and a 6 that stretching hasn't really helped with. Maybe a couple hundred rounds through each. Both had problems since day one. The factory original magazine has been good. The two I've had problems with were replacements.

There are two things that seem to happen if there are issues- the first is the feedluos spreading or getting work out like the picture in this thread. Maybe heating and squeezing will help that. The other, is the back of the round not being high enough. That can be fixed usually by sanding the rear (solid part) of the back down so the it sits higher.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
@Formidilosus are there any metal mags or dbm and mag systems that can alleviate these issues? Or is the factory mags still the best around for feeding and just buy a new one when they wear out?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus are there any metal mags or dbm and mag systems that can alleviate these issues? Or is the factory mags still the best around for feeding and just buy a new one when they wear out?

Mostly no. The CTR and AI mag options can work well, but they also generally require some futzing to get to work 100%. The Water mag might be worth looking at, but I don’t have enough use in them to say.

There is potentially going to be another option, that may turn out to be a solid answer. But, it’s still a few months away at least.

rbutcher1234

Lil-Rokslider
My 223 tikka is in a bravo with AICS mags, and quite a few mags are not 100% consistent feeding. Generally, each of my mags required messing with the feed lips and inserts.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Mostly no. The CTR and AI mag options can work well, but they also generally require some futzing to get to work 100%. The Water mag might be worth looking at, but I don’t have enough use in them to say.

There is potentially going to be another option, that may turn out to be a solid answer. But, it’s still a few months away at least.
I'm assuming that's the UM bottom metal and mag? It'll be a while before that trickles up to our Canadian dealer so I'll just have to suck up and pick up a new factory mag or 2.

Firth

FNG
There are two things that seem to happen if there are issues- the first is the feedluos spreading or getting work out like the picture in this thread. Maybe heating and squeezing will help that. The other, is the back of the round not being high enough. That can be fixed usually by sanding the rear (solid part) of the back down so the it sits higher.
I need to measure the opening on mine. They didn't look wider. To me it seemed like the cartridges were just hanging up on the feed lips. Basically that when they were pushed in far enough into the magazine they could slide under the lip on that side and wouldn't come free without a little help. I could reproduce it out of the gun by pushing the round underneath the feed lip and it wouldn't pop up. I tried loading up a magazine then putting a little graphite on the edge between the cartridge and magazine and rotating the cartridge and pushing it under the feed lip. I can't get them to hang up anymore manually, but I've been laid up from a surgery and haven't gotten out to test it properly.

kopmantrey

Lil-Rokslider
I need to measure the opening on mine. They didn't look wider. To me it seemed like the cartridges were just hanging up on the feed lips. Basically that when they were pushed in far enough into the magazine they could slide under the lip on that side and wouldn't come free without a little help. I could reproduce it out of the gun by pushing the round underneath the feed lip and it wouldn't pop up. I tried loading up a magazine then putting a little graphite on the edge between the cartridge and magazine and rotating the cartridge and pushing it under the feed lip. I can't get them to hang up anymore manually, but I've been laid up from a surgery and haven't gotten out to test it properly.
This is exactly what has happened with my mags since new. The graphite seems like it might be a short term solution but I might give it a try. I have noticed it gets worse with used brass vs shiny new smooth brass.

Attachments

• 20240530_224758.jpg
    20240530_224758.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 18

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
Mine have had problems out of the package, but only the 6 rounders. Usually it’s the last three rounds. I stretched the spring and it helped some (reduced the feeding issues by about half). I will have to try squeezing the feed-lips and filing the back block too. Mine has the issue that the back of the round isn’t up enough to be picked up. We can’t hunt here with 6 round mags so it’s just for range time luckily…

ElPollo

WKR
Just found this thread after posting about feeding issues with 6-round Tikka 223 mags. Mine have less than 500 rounds through them and are failing to pick up rounds on a pretty regular basis. Has anyone gotten a response from Beretta on this? Would love to be able to get some upgraded springs for these. I like having multiple extended magazines for this gun because it’s the gun I shoot the most. Half a dozen Waters mags would cost as much as the gun. Would love to hear other options.

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
Is everyone's no feeding tikkas failing to pickup or not making it to the chamber?

Mine definitely doesn't like to feed with a slow worked bolt. My modified mag feeds a little better but I have a huge number of hang ups with the tips missing the chamber or the case neck hanging up on the edge of the chamber when the bolts worked slowly.

Last edited:

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Is everyone's no feeding tikkas failing to pickup or no making it to the chamber?

Mine definitely doesn't like to feed with a slow worked bolt. My modified mag feeds a little better but I have a huge number of hangup with the tips missing the chamber or the case neck hanging up when the bolts worked slowly.
In factory stock torqued 65 in-lb with factory bottom metal and factory 4 round unmodified 223 mags I have not had issues in 500 rounds or so.

In 2k rounds from AICS MDT 223 mags in atlasworx bm I have had no failures to feed. I observed many 223 failures with factory mags and various aftermarket stocks at s2hu.

-J

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
In factory stock torqued 65 in-lb with factory bottom metal and factory 4 round unmodified 223 mags I have not had issues in 500 rounds or so.

In 2k rounds from AICS MDT 223 mags in atlasworx bm I have had no failures to feed. I observed many 223 failures with factory mags and various aftermarket stocks at s2hu.

-J
It's completely factory except for a trimmed and threaded barrel. Its torqued to 65inch pounds and I'd say it will fail to feed 50% of the time from the factory 4 round plastic mag if the bolts not worked hastily either because the bullet tip missing the chamber or the neck of the case catching the chamber edge. The second issue seems like a slight chamfer to the chamber would completely solve it.

The factory 4 round mag tweaked for a longer oal will fail to feed maybe 20% of the time with a slow bolt throw via the same mechanisms with factory rounds however only fails via the second with 75 eld reloads at 2.4" coal. I'd have thought the modified round would be worse as the feed lips end earlier but that's not the case.

ElPollo

WKR
Is everyone's no feeding tikkas failing to pickup or no making it to the chamber?

Mine definitely doesn't like to feed with a slow worked bolt. My modified mag feeds a little better but I have a huge number of hangup with the tips missing the chamber or the case neck hanging up when the bolts worked slowly.
My issues were only with the Tikka 6-round 223 mags. The 4-rounders work just fine. It is not related to the stock in my case. Mine is in a Stocky’s VG Hunter, but it fed fine for several hundred rounds and then started failing to pick up rounds. It still feeds fine with my 4-round mags. I contacted Beretta, and they admitted that it’s a bad magazine spring issue in the 6-round 223 mags. They stated they are aware of it, but don’t have a fix for it. They said try stretching the springs. I wouldn’t suggest buying the 6-round mags.

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same issue. Stretching the springs helps for a while. At first only the extended mags gave me trouble but now even the standard 4 round mags do it. I have two of them and both have failures to extract the round from the magazine when running the bolt fast or slow. I checked for burrs or flashing on the mags and such but they worked fine for about 600-800 rounds and now are having problems. Happens with factory 5.56/.223 from various manufacturers and lots.