Tikka 223 magazine feeding issues

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
So mostly it seems to be people's mags just fail to have the bolt pickup the round and my problem of the tips missing the chamber and jamming is a bit unique? Put 100 rounds through the 223 this weekend and feedings pretty terrible to be honest with anything other than the long loaded 75 eld loads and even they aren't perfect. I've sold rifle for less surely there's a fix.

Lawnboi

WKR
So mostly it seems to be people's mags just fail to have the bolt pickup the round and my problem of the tips missing the chamber and jamming is a bit unique? Put 100 rounds through the 223 this weekend and feedings pretty terrible to be honest with anything other than the long loaded 75 eld loads and even they aren't perfect. I've sold rifle for less surely there's a fix.
Factory stock? Factory mags? Sounds like your mag is latching low. Confirm that your action is seated in the lug as well.

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
Factory stock? Factory mags? Sounds like your mag is latching low. Confirm that your action is seated in the lug as well.
Lugs seated correctly.
I have 3 mags. A factory metal insert 4 round a factory plastic 4 round and a modified 4 round metal insert.
In a factory stock torqued to 65inch lbs.
Fails to feed due to the tip hitting below the chamber or the lip of the neck catching the chamber edge. Soft points are the worst as they hangup on the tip more often.

Best combination so far is 75 elds loaded at 2.42" in the modified magazine where the tip round seems uncontrolled for less time and the case necks have an outside chamfer.

I'll try get a video bit I'm weighing up trying to make an insert for a spare M+ magazine I have laying around to see if I can have the mag control the round a bit longer.

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
OK 100% fixed any feeding issues with reloads and fixed the failure from the bullet points missing the chamber.

Compressed the spring as watching it slowly it was apparent the spring pressure was popping the rear of the case up aggressively once clear of the feed lips causing it to jump away from the bolt face and bounce around.

Now the only failure to feed is the case mouth catching the lip of the chamber. The factory Fiocchi brass is particularly shit with a decent burr around the case mouth on plenty of the cases.

Do most tikkas typically have a chamfer here?

All of my kimbers and my old how's all have a small 0.5-1mm chamfer that would solve this. An outside chamfer solves feeding and haven't been able to cause a malfunction with reloads except by short stroking the bolt and double feeding which is unavoidable.

Reactions: NSI