Tikka 223 magazine feeding issues

Jimbee

WKR
I have a MT 223 4rd magazine and a tikka plastic 6rd magazine and both occasionally fail to feed in my t3x. Any fixes? I've heard Waters magazines are the answer. How do I buy one of those? I am planning on shooting a NRL Hunter match or two in the near future with my rokslide special.

SouthPaw

WKR
You have to email Waters to get your order. He's fast to communicate. Its expensive shipping/import so buy multiple mags if you think you'll ever want another. If you're shooting matches and hunting, I'd get both a 6rd and a 10rd mag.

Also, assuming you're shooting skills division for NRLH? 223 wont make power factor to compete.

Lawnboi

WKR
Just get the waters mags is my recommendation.

They are the only 223 tikka mags that .iv never had any problems with

You can try stretching the stock mag spring.

The MT mag has so little case head exposure that you really need it to be tight, very tight up against the action to avoid mis feeds. That mag benefits from a little more tension as well

OP
Jimbee

Jimbee

WKR
You have to email Waters to get your order. He's fast to communicate. Its expensive shipping/import so buy multiple mags if you think you'll ever want another. If you're shooting matches and hunting, I'd get both a 6rd and a 10rd mag.

Also, assuming you're shooting skills division for NRLH? 223 wont make power factor to compete.
Screenshot_20230518_104527_Facebook.jpg

OP
Jimbee

Jimbee

WKR
Any disadvantage to ordering the 223 magazine that accepts the longer COAL? I'm currently shooting 77tmks at magazine length.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have a MT 223 4rd magazine and a tikka plastic 6rd magazine and both occasionally fail to feed in my t3x. Any fixes? I've heard Waters magazines are the answer. How do I buy one of those? I am planning on shooting a NRL Hunter match or two in the near future with my rokslide special.

What bottom “metal” are you using? Factory?

Take the factory mag apart and stretch the spring well.

OP
Jimbee

Jimbee

WKR
What bottom “metal” are you using? Factory?

Take the factory mag apart and stretch the spring well.
Factory bottom metal. I'll give that a try. I've noticed it almost always fails to feed round 5.
Thanks

Antares

WKR
Interesting. This is the first I've heard of this issue. I have a factory 4-round mag in MT bottom metal that has fed a couple hundred rounds w/o incident. Stretching out the mag spring seems like a good start, especially since your having issues with the last round in the mag.

OP
Jimbee

Jimbee

WKR
Factory bottom metal. I'll give that a try. I've noticed it almost always fails to feed round 5.
Thanks
It's actually round 5 out of 6. I'm getting used to opening the bolt and pushing and releasing the round.

Lawnboi

WKR
Any disadvantage to ordering the 223 magazine that accepts the longer COAL? I'm currently shooting 77tmks at magazine length.
I have the longer coal mags. With some shorter, blunt nosed bullets Iv had them sometimes not find the hole.

If most of what you shoot is AR length I’d get the shorter one, it’s still 2.4” which just about fits everything you would feed a tikka factory chamber.

I actually like the waters mags so much I plan to buy one for my creedmoor as well even though I don’t need 6 rounders

I know this is an older thread but I thought I would share my experience. I have a factory 4 round and a 6 round for my tikka 223. Both magazines had consistent failures to feed.

I noticed that on both magazines there was a sliver of plastic flashing just inside the feed lips. This would sometimes prevent the cartridge from rising high enough for the bolt to pick it up.

I pushed the follower down and lightly scraped the burr/flashing off with the back of a knife blade.

So far they have both been flawless after that.