Ticks vs Floorless Tents

*zap*

WKR
I think if you spray down and spray the perimeter of the shelter with repel/deet you might be fine in spring/fall conditions. I will report back in a few months on that. Found the first tick on my doggie last week here in N/E Kansas.

dank

FNG
Not to be an alarmist, but I recently moved to N Idaho and went bear hunting this last weekend. Flicked probably 15 ticks off of me and 3 off my skin in 2 days! None had latched on thank god. Furthermore, I had used permethrin on my clothes maybe 2 weeks ago and only washed them once. Then I DEETed the hell out of myself and they were still showing up on pant legs.

It honestly effected my hunt as I started getting so damn paranoid. Definitely noticed them “uptick” the closer I was getting to known elk areas.

I grew up in far southern Illinois. We'd get into ticks all the time. The ticks there are incredibly numerous, especially if you're in the woods August-September when they hatch. Go through a nest and youll be in hell.

We never really worried about them much or worried much about getting bit. You just pull them off when you find them. Go to the doctor if you get sick. Sure, it's possible to get something, but not all that likely.

However, I wouldn't sleep with a floorless tent there without a bug net.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
We are heavily infested with ticks in Western MT. Not unusual to find 20-30 on an evening hunt. Permethrin does not keep them off, but seems to slow them down a little. Honestly, not worth the associated toxicity if it gets wet and on your skin. I wear gaiters, tuck long underwear into socks, undershirt into long underwear. The first place a tick can reach skin is on my neck which is easy to feel them (sorry, guys with long hair this may not work). Use a shelter with a floor.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Definitely have ticks in Co, some spots are worse than others. Seems like areas with more moose have more ticks in my experience

Seeknelk

WKR
I've had a ton of ticks, and cant recall feeling one bite me. I have felt them crawling on me several times. But 90% of the time, they are attached when found. Now fleas, you can feel them bite, most of the time. Depending where they bite yea.
Weird how experiences are different. I've easily flicked 50-100 off me here in NW MT . I almost always catch them crossing my neck, hairline , ear area. And have only been actually bit 2 or 3 times. One was this spring tho and apparently it had been in my navel for a few day🤮🤣.
After a few days in the mountains they end up in my truck and gear so I strip outside and nuke everything. MT only has wood ticks and no lymes but they are carriers of other nasty chit for sure!

I hate ticks! I’ve skinned so many deer over the years that have been crawling with ticks. Seems like the worst place besides the ears is the brisket and neck area. I started wearing a long sleeve shirt when skinning deer and even elk. Nasty creepy crawlers! Everytime I found one crawling on my arm it would give me the goosebumps for hours after. 🤣

Afhunter1

WKR
Very familiar with the area. Can see Chilco mountain from my front yard and Bunco road is a mile from my house. I guess there are a few down there. Thankfully i havent had any run ins.

Hunted in PA in november 2019. Tick CENTRAL. Coming from East Texas sometimes there are ticks sometimes not. I have never seen anything like PA ticks.

I sprayed my stuff with permethrin and it worked.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
As a PA resident you are not wrong my friend. Permethrin soak every 6 weeks and I still spray a few times in between. We have ticks year round but I don’t let them hold me back.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We are heavily infested with ticks in Western MT. Not unusual to find 20-30 on an evening hunt. Permethrin does not keep them off, but seems to slow them down a little. Honestly, not worth the associated toxicity if it gets wet and on your skin. I wear gaiters, tuck long underwear into socks, undershirt into long underwear. The first place a tick can reach skin is on my neck which is easy to feel them (sorry, guys with long hair this may not work). Use a shelter with a floor.
Interesting. I grew up hiking and camping in NW MT and worked in the woods summers during college, and we hardly ever got into ticks. I know they were around , and we would get singles once in a while, but nothing notable.

Here in ND is a different story. Lots of ticks April through July, although maybe not as bad as further south and east. I still use a floorless, or just a bivy sack if no rain the forecast. Permethrin on clothing, boots, tent, ground cloth, and bivy sack seems to keep them at bay.

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
Lifetimer in the panhandle of Idaho/Eastern Washington guy here who camps A LOT. I have never used spray. Never worried about ticks. Found a few in my 40 years in the woods and pulled a half dozen or so off my dogs over the years.

I'm thinking this might be like expecting your kids to be abducted if you let them out after dark....

Sure it could happen, and it has happened.....but it's more the exception than the rule.

I agree for the most part and thought the same as you but I have found a couple places up here in the spring loaded with them.

Went on a 5 mile hike mostly on a trail one spring with snow still on the ground. Barely in any brush or trees and came out with a few dozen on myself and backpack.

But 99% I agree with you.

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
Reading a lot of the responses about bugs but most companies sell a mosquito net or or insert/floor+net for them. Seems like the floorless is more versatile. I’m highly considering moving from a Nemo /FL Kodiak to a floorless for that reason.

jodafo

FNG
I've worked in northeastern washington and North Idaho a decent bit. Ticks are definitely in there, but they're not everywhere. Hiking in southeastern washington last weekend I found well over fifty on myself. Peace of mind in a tradition tent is worth it for me during tick season.