Ticks vs Floorless Tents

Dgregory

FNG
I'm going on a Spring bear hunt in Idaho in May and planning ahead for a heavy dose of ticks. I'll take measures with sprays and such, but I'm wondering about my tent. I was planning on using a ultralight two man floorless tipi, but I've been considering using a more traditional lightweight zippered backpacking tent. What are y'alls thoughts on getting bitten by ticks while sleeping, or even just having to wake up in the middle of the night to do more tick checks? I watched a bear hunt on youtube and a guy had a tick crawling up his nostril while sleeping in a floorless tent, so it's got me rethinking my tent choice.

I wouldn’t use floorless without a bivy or nest in May. Even on good years ticks are a pain, on bad years they are insane.

Stalker69

WKR
I got rid of my floor less tents years ago. I hunt quite a bit in Texas and the ticks, chiggers, scorpions and snakes made for a terrible sleep.

I got rid of my floor less tents years ago. I hunt quite a bit in Texas and the ticks, chiggers, scorpions and snakes made for a terrible sleep.
Yeah there is no way I’d use one in certain locations, especially Texas. Even here in Ohio I pretty much only use them Nov through March. But for the northern Rockies they are hard to beat.

id_jon

WKR
Bug bivy is my go to. Plus spraying everything with permetherine.

OP
Dgregory

Dgregory

FNG
Thanks for all the responses! Sounds like I’ll go with a traditional zippered tent since I don’t have a nest for my tipi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
For ticks, a good spray will prevent them. Second, if you have never been bitten by a tick, you'll feel it. Third, after being bit, it generally takes 24-36 hours for them to transmit lymes disease to the host. If you find a tick in your skin, remove it properly and go to a clinic for some antibiotics. There are other diseases ticks can transmit besides Lymes.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
Lifetimer in the panhandle of Idaho/Eastern Washington guy here who camps A LOT. I have never used spray. Never worried about ticks. Found a few in my 40 years in the woods and pulled a half dozen or so off my dogs over the years.

I'm thinking this might be like expecting your kids to be abducted if you let them out after dark....

Sure it could happen, and it has happened.....but it's more the exception than the rule.

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Where are yall getting into the ticks in ID? I have lived here for 3 years and have seen zero ticks.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Independence Creek east of Lake Pend Orielle.
A bunch of years ago in an August. Rode my dirt bike through a bush in the trail, thought "that felt like a bad one" and pulled a tick off myself at dinner later.
Not exactly like sleeping on the ground in May, but they're out there.

cfdjay

WKR
Lifehack...I take an extra bottle of permethrin and spray the perimeter of tent, on the ground. Doesn't just work for ticks but most ground bugs.

JD Jones

WKR
Thanks for all the responses! Sounds like I’ll go with a traditional zippered tent since I don’t have a nest for my tipi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not to persuade you out of new gear but a bug bivy that weighs 5oz used in conjunction w your floor-less tent you already own is cheap and effective and mentioned above.

Treat your clothes and pack (do this outside away from pets) and you’ll be fine.

Stalker69

WKR
For ticks, a good spray will prevent them. Second, if you have never been bitten by a tick, you'll feel it. Third, after being bit, it generally takes 24-36 hours for them to transmit lymes disease to the host. If you find a tick in your skin, remove it properly and go to a clinic for some antibiotics. There are other diseases ticks can transmit besides Lymes.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I've had a ton of ticks, and cant recall feeling one bite me. I have felt them crawling on me several times. But 90% of the time, they are attached when found. Now fleas, you can feel them bite, most of the time. Depending where they bite yea.

dtrkyman

WKR
Never had tick issues here in NM or CO. but I am camping at some elevation so maybe they are not around?

In the midwest no way you could camp in the spring without some treatment of the ground or a nest, you would have hundreds of ticks on you in one night!

Permethrin is amazing stuff for them. I treat my clothes a couple times per spring and never get ticks anymore.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I've been spring bear hunting ID for 5 years. I just sleep under a tarp with a ground sheet and haven't had any ticks attached. Last year I sprayed my bag with permethrin for the first time. On of the guys there found one on his bag after he washed it when he got home. I will say, I hunted a different unit one year and the bear I shot had way more ticks than where I usually hunt. So we may be in a lighter tick area.

EdP

WKR
Ticks are exactly why I have a nest in my Kuiu Summit Star. Around here, even in the mtns, we get daytime temps in the 50s and 60s on occasion in Nov. On those occasions the ticks come out in force and the hunters become the hunted.

I was on a multi-day spring bear hunt in Idaho unit 10 (Lolo region) a few years back. There were plenty of ground squirrels and ticks in camp.

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
Independence Creek east of Lake Pend Orielle.
A bunch of years ago in an August. Rode my dirt bike through a bush in the trail, thought "that felt like a bad one" and pulled a tick off myself at dinner later.
Not exactly like sleeping on the ground in May, but they're out there.
Very familiar with the area. Can see Chilco mountain from my front yard and Bunco road is a mile from my house. I guess there are a few down there. Thankfully i havent had any run ins.

Hunted in PA in november 2019. Tick CENTRAL. Coming from East Texas sometimes there are ticks sometimes not. I have never seen anything like PA ticks.

I sprayed my stuff with permethrin and it worked.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk