Tick Spray for Kids

Anyone have any recommendations for tick spray that’s okay for kids? I have a one year old that I want to backpack with and take out into the woods with me. I use sawyers permethrin for myself but not so sure I feel comfortable spraying his clothes down with the stuff.

Last edited:
permethrin is good to go for kids clothes in my experience. Also, Picardin is an effective tick/mosquito repellent that comes from a pepper extract, it doesn't melt rubber or make your lips tingle the way DEET does.

gtriple

WKR
permethrin is good to go for kids clothes in my experience. Also, Picardin is an effective tick/mosquito repellent that comes from a pepper extract, it doesn't melt rubber or make your lips tingle the way DEET does.
I love the way my lips tingle when I put Deet on my steaks.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I've been there, looked at things hard the first years I took my kids out into the turkey woods.

Permethrin is used in a 5% cream rubbed into the skin to treat scabies. The Sawyer spray I was looking at was a 0.5% concentration. After looking through drug safety information on the cream and the ages it was safe to use with, I felt pretty comfortable spraying it on my kids clothes and letting it dry before contact. It might be worth looking through some of that info to help with your decision.

LostArra

WKR
Permethrin on clothes is fine for kids. When they come home from school with head lice you'll be using a stronger concentration in shampoo.

Reactions: ODB

ODB

WKR

These are my go-to products as well.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
With permethrin, either tuck your pants into your boots or tape them to your boots. Makes the bugs crawl across the treated clothes, seems to decrease the amount if ticks we bring home quite a bit

Gutshotem

WKR
Permethrin is a neurotoxin and has been linked to behavioral disorders in children. That being said, I'm not aware of a better alternative.

sacklunch

WKR
Permethrin on clothes is fine for kids. When they come home from school with head lice you'll be using a stronger concentration in shampoo.
Just because it's used to treat lice, doesn't mean it's "fine" for unlimited use, Doc.

it's a 1 year old dude, just go without, for their own good, and check for ticks at each diaper change

Yoder

WKR
I've tried just about everything and from my experience pretty much nothing works. In PA, we have so many ticks, it's unbelievable. I've picked over 200 off of me after walking about a mile. It's not everywhere but they are in pockets. I use permethrin and tuck in my shirt. I've even tucked my pants into my socks when they are really bad, which looks super cool. I think a warm weather compression under layer would work well. If they make something like that for little kids, it might be a good idea.

OP
R
Just because it's used to treat lice, doesn't mean it's "fine" for unlimited use, Doc.

it's a 1 year old dude, just go without, for their own good, and check for ticks at each diaper change
Diaper changes are battle every single time. He also has a head full hair. Some of these ticks are almost impossible to see they’re so small. If I miss a tick for 24-48 hours he could end up with Lyme or rmf. Not really something I want to chance. Probably best off consulting a doctor on this one.

sacklunch

WKR
Diaper changes are battle every single time. He also has a head full hair. Some of these ticks are almost impossible to see they’re so small. If I miss a tick for 24-48 hours he could end up with Lyme or rmf. Not really something I want to chance. Probably best off consulting a doctor on this one.
I'd shave my kids head for easy exam before I put permithren or deet on my developing child. Careful, most doctors will sell you anything they can make money off from their big pharma reps, child safe or not. Good luck.