Thunderbeast Magnus??

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I'd probably take the ultra 7 and I'm not even a TBAC fanboy, I think its just. better product from a better company. If I was going to use the can for rimfire or something, then id take the banish 30 since you can open it up and clean it. Honestly though I found that I never use the extension for the b30 so I've never used it in the 9" setup (nor have I ever wanted to) and I've never taken it apart to clean it. Since I don't use those features, I'd pick one without those features.

As for sound, I can't tell a difference but my ears aren't finely tuned decibel measuring devices either. I also have the banish 22 and a deadair mask 22 and I can't tell a difference between those either on my 16" tikka t1x. I guess I'm not really convinced that theres a huge difference between any silencers that fall in the same size/class etc.
Awesome thanks. I wasn't sure if some of the features on the banish like the 7 or 9 length would be useful or not. I highly doubt I'm going to be able to tell the difference so I was curious. Thank you

ID_Matt

WKR
Sounds great. I shot mine through my 22" 7 SAUM for a while the other night. I think it really shines in magnum cartridges like that.

Nice!

And videos always seem to sound louder than they actually are in person so I bet, in person, it was crazy quiet.
Yea the video sounds actually pretty loud. I think the hills and trees have factor on sounds as you know. But it is cool.

B23

WKR
Yea the video sounds actually pretty loud. I think the hills and trees have factor on sounds as you know. But it is cool.
Yep, the videos always seem to sound so much louder than real life in person does. I once did a video in my shop shooting some sub 22lr's suppressed and sent it to a buddy of mine. When he watched the vid I sent him he wasn't very impressed because it didn't seem very quiet to him until he asked me "what's that loud tink tink sound in the background every time you shoot" when I told him that was the sound of the little 22 cases hitting the concrete floor he didn't believe because that tink tink sound was so much louder then the sound of the gun. He still didn't believe me until he came over and witnessed it with his own eyes and ears and said oh wow the video makes it sound so much louder but in person it's wayyyy quieter.

Yep, the videos always seem to sound so much louder than real life in person does. I once did a video in my shop shooting some sub 22lr's suppressed and sent it to a buddy of mine. When he watched the vid I sent him he wasn't very impressed because it didn't seem very quiet to him until he asked me "what's that loud tink tink sound in the background every time you shoot" when I told him that was the sound of the little 22 cases hitting the concrete floor he didn't believe because that tink tink sound was so much louder then the sound of the gun. He still didn't believe me until he came over and witnessed it with his own eyes and ears and said oh wow the video makes it sound so much louder but in person it's wayyyy quieter.
Yea definitely.

My step dad recently got a TBAC Ultra 9 This is a video of him shooting it on a 16” 6mm arc Crazy quiet. Especially with the concrete and a roof over head.

Reactions: B23

Lawnboi

WKR
I must have missed something. What happened?
Seems you get labeled a fan boy if you like thunderbeast. The popularity of pew science and tbac apparent lack of participation seems to cause some heat. And people love to complain about them giving out certificates for cans at matches, even hear this locally.

People just like to complain I guess.

fwafwow

WKR
Seems you get labeled a fan boy if you like thunderbeast. The popularity of pew science and tbac apparent lack of participation seems to cause some heat. And people love to complain about them giving out certificates for cans at matches, even hear this locally.

People just like to complain I guess.
Ah, got it. I am going to have them cut and thread my new Tikka to mount my Ultra 9 and wanted to make sure that my fanboy status needed to be double-checked. Thanks!

Lawnboi

WKR
anybody done some bro-science testing on one of these back to back with a hyperion?
Tbac did a video with one and the magnus. Maybe not bro science.

I think my next suppressor will be one of the printed cans. Though I don’t think I’m going to go with the hyperion size, I’m eyeing the Helios dt for dedicated 223 use.

Lawnboi

WKR
C14E991D-E431-4720-ACDF-263DC74710F6.jpeg

Used it for an actual practice session with the match gun. It’s quiet. Holds some serious gas. Recoil reduction compared to the ultra 7 is significant, probably helps that there’s an extra 6oz over of the ultra 7 out front. Much more excited to use this can more after today. Spotting shots is the closest to a brake I have seen. And I don’t blink from concussion.

metroplex

FNG
I actually just received my Magnus HUB today. Was expecting it to be ginormous but was pleasantly surprised. It is actually lighter than the Otter Creek Polonium.

Here is a Magnus on a .300 win mag. I was surprised at how quiet it is on a 300 wm. Pretty wild how it quiets down

Last edited:

metroplex

FNG
great video!
I was able to try my Magnus HUB on my 300 Win Mag yesterday (Bergara HMR Pro). It was very soft shooting and quiet. The YHM Resonator R2 and Omega 300 w/ Anchor Brake were about the same in how much recoil they cut off. If I had to garner a guess the Omega 300 and Magnus were about on-par. The tightest groups came from the Omega 300 followed closely by the Magnus but the barrel is still new (about under 70 rounds fired). The heat mirage from the Magnus is crazy though. After a few shots I can barely see out the scope even on low magnification. Also seems to be very gassy - traps a bunch of smoke while the Omega, Hydrogen, and Resonator cleared out faster. I really like it though.

fwafwow

WKR
Used it for an actual practice session with the match gun. It’s quiet. Holds some serious gas. Recoil reduction compared to the ultra 7 is significant, probably helps that there’s an extra 6oz over of the ultra 7 out front. Much more excited to use this can more after today. Spotting shots is the closest to a brake I have seen. And I don’t blink from concussion.
This thread really has me thinking of the Magnus as the next "needed" can. I currently use a gen 1 Ultra 9 for hunting on a 16.5" 223 RS Special, and I'm on the fence for another can. I saw a prior post about a discount, but suspect that deal is long gone.

Lawnboi

WKR
This thread really has me thinking of the Magnus as the next "needed" can. I currently use a gen 1 Ultra 9 for hunting on a 16.5" 223 RS Special, and I'm on the fence for another can. I saw a prior post about a discount, but suspect that deal is long gone.
Got a scheels near you? Just saw one for 1399 (Appleton wi). Buddy got a U7 for 899 at scheels as well.

The Magnus is neat but it’s going to live on a match gun, or dedicated long range rifle, might get some prairie dog time. It’s a biggun.

I’m not crazy about suppression numbers. For a rifle I’m carrying I like the ultra 7 enough I bought 2. A 6.5 ultra 9 might have been a better option for what I’m doing realistically but I was blinded by numbers. The Magnus is an awesome suppressor, I may get a SR version for dedicated match use if I ever get another certificate.

Im committed to shooting 100% suppressed for rifle.

fwafwow

WKR
Got a scheels near you? Just saw one for 1399 (Appleton wi). Buddy got a U7 for 899 at scheels as well.

The Magnus is neat but it’s going to live on a match gun, or dedicated long range rifle, might get some prairie dog time. It’s a biggun.

I’m not crazy about suppression numbers. For a rifle I’m carrying I like the ultra 7 enough I bought 2. A 6.5 ultra 9 might have been a better option for what I’m doing realistically but I was blinded by numbers. The Magnus is an awesome suppressor, I may get a SR version for dedicated match use if I ever get another certificate.

Im committed to shooting 100% suppressed for rifle.
I'm with you on 100% suppressed. Although I still have a 30-06, I doubt I will use it much, and the Ultra 9 would work on it. I am tempted with the Ultra 9 6.5, or the Magnus, but perhaps it is because I am crazy about suppression numbers. But there's also the U7 in 6.5, which would be pretty nice on the S20, but I anticipate that since I value quiet over compact, I will end up with another long can.

No Scheels anywhere near me. I did find some on the web, but I'm also checking back with my LGS (also NFA attorney).