Thunderbeast Magnus??

Lawnboi

WKR
I’m January 12. I was deciding between magnus and ultra 338. Went with ultra 338 since I had a Dominus already. Starting to at least think about it getting close.
I just put another ultra 7 in jail so im hoping for a batch approval.

That said, this is the longest Iv waited out of all the suppressors I own, so I can’t complain.

Curious to see if the magnus is something that I use in place of the ultra 7 or not.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I just put another ultra 7 in jail so im hoping for a batch approval.

That said, this is the longest Iv waited out of all the suppressors I own, so I can’t complain.

Curious to see if the magnus is something that I use in place of the ultra 7 or not.
I went back and forth but finally called and talked to Blake. If I didn’t have a Dominus I would have done the magnus for sure! The weight and length penalty for the 338 ultra wasn’t much and the suppression and recoil seemed to be a decent upgrade. We will see. I’ve been trying to be patient…I see approvals coming in a 180/250/300+. The fear is getting in the 300 plus category.

Lawnboi

WKR
I went back and forth but finally called and talked to Blake. If I didn’t have a Dominus I would have done the magnus for sure! The weight and length penalty for the 338 ultra wasn’t much and the suppression and recoil seemed to be a decent upgrade. We will see. I’ve been trying to be patient…I see approvals coming in a 180/250/300+. The fear is getting in the 300 plus category.
Don’t look at the Reddit nfa approval thread, will piss a guy right off, lots of really quick approvals coming through just randomly.

I’m curious about the recoil difference. I just glued a CB to my match gun so I’m committed to shooting all suppressed right now. Iv heard the larger cans change the recoil pulse just havnt been able to shoot them side by side and see the effect.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Don’t look at the Reddit nfa approval thread, will piss a guy right off, lots of really quick approvals coming through just randomly.

I’m curious about the recoil difference. I just glued a CB to my match gun so I’m committed to shooting all suppressed right now. Iv heard the larger cans change the recoil pulse just havnt been able to shoot them side by side and see the effect.
I look daily. 😂

Yea that’s cool. I got a Dominus as my first can. But went magnus for my 2nd can. A 338 can would be legit thou

ID_Matt

WKR
Have put about 30 rounds through my magnus so far. It is substantially more quiet and has more recoil reduction than any of the 7" range of cans I have been around. It is a big girl though. It dwarfs your normal sized hunting cans.

Lawnboi

WKR
Have put about 30 rounds through my magnus so far. It is substantially more quiet and has more recoil reduction than any of the 7" range of cans I have been around. It is a big girl though. It dwarfs your normal sized hunting cans.
What have you shot it on?

I’m sitting around 150 days on mine now. Hoping I have it before hunting season, I think it would be sweet on my 16” rifle.

B23

WKR
Which mount did you go with on your Magnus?

ID_Matt

WKR
What have you shot it on?

I’m sitting around 150 days on mine now. Hoping I have it before hunting season, I think it would be sweet on my 16” rifle.
24" 6.5 creed and an 18" 223 is all for now. Really makes me want to have an 18" creed barrel spun up for it.

Which mount did you go with on your Magnus?
I did the HUB option, then used the area 419 mounts that I use on all my other guns.

Reactions: B23

Lawnboi

WKR
24" 6.5 creed and an 18" 223 is all for now. Really makes me want to have an 18" creed barrel spun up for it.

I did the HUB option, then used the area 419 mounts that I use on all my other guns.

Good to hear. I originally bought the can specifically for match use, got a 22” 6 creed barrel coming for next year. So more recoil reduction will be nice.

Thinking a 22 or 24” 6.5 creed barrel for nrl is in my cards, with the magnus screwed on the end.

Saw on the hide that TBAC is offering dt inserts for hub. Might make it a more viable option for some.

ID_Matt

WKR
Good to hear. I originally bought the can specifically for match use, got a 22” 6 creed barrel coming for next year. So more recoil reduction will be nice.

Thinking a 22 or 24” 6.5 creed barrel for nrl is in my cards, with the magnus screwed on the end.

Saw on the hide that TBAC is offering dt inserts for hub. Might make it a more viable option for some.
I'd go as short as you can, that big thing on the end sure makes it top heavy

Lawnboi

WKR
I'd go as short as you can, that big thing on the end sure makes it top heavy
Only concern is making power factor with a creedmoor, I know it can be done at 22” but might take some creativity, or hammering on it.

6.5 prc would do in a shorty, but then I have to live with expensive components and low barrel life.

Maybe ill just do a 308 and shoot 180s.

Sweet. How did it sound then? Was it pretty quiet.

Im Excited to go get mine and shoot it. Gonna shoot it on 22-250 and 6 Creed and 300 win mag. From the testing Ive seen it sure seems to quiet things down.

ID_Matt

WKR
Only concern is making power factor with a creedmoor, I know it can be done at 22” but might take some creativity, or hammering on it.

6.5 prc would do in a shorty, but then I have to live with expensive components and low barrel life.

Maybe ill just do a 308 and shoot 180s.
My friend has a 22" tikka and easily gets PF with 147's. You can do it with 140's but will be leaning on it for sure. I would definitely recommend that over a 308!

ID_Matt

WKR
Sweet. How did it sound then? Was it pretty quiet.

Im Excited to go get mine and shoot it. Gonna shoot it on 22-250 and 6 Creed and 300 win mag. From the testing Ive seen it sure seems to quiet things down.
Crazy quiet. First few shots I definitely had a big grin on my face.

Lawnboi

WKR
My friend has a 22" tikka and easily gets PF with 147's. You can do it with 140's but will be leaning on it for sure. I would definitely recommend that over a 308!
My plan was to shoot 147s in my last 6.5 barrel but that one didn’t pan out. I try to avoid Hornady bullets at all cost for matches.

Part of me wants to shoot another one with my bdl 3006 again, but loading that thing on the clock cost me 20 seconds every stage

ID_Matt

WKR
My plan was to shoot 147s in my last 6.5 barrel but that one didn’t pan out. I try to avoid Hornady bullets at all cost for matches.

Part of me wants to shoot another one with my bdl 3006 again, but loading that thing on the clock cost me 20 seconds every stage
What don't you like about hornady? I used Berger forever but they have gotten so expensive that i switched to hornady the last several hundred rounds and had no issues. I can see a 30-06 being a huge hinderance from a recoil perspective

Lawnboi

WKR
What don't you like about hornady? I used Berger forever but they have gotten so expensive that i switched to hornady the last several hundred rounds and had no issues. I can see a 30-06 being a huge hinderance from a recoil perspective

I lost a lot of confidence in Hornady when I had a couple bad lots of bullets. I seem to get more flyers, or errant bullets with Hornady. Iv had quite a few boxes where the tips are all goofed up, Hornady just says it dosnt matter that much. I still shoot a bunch of them, Iv just seen more consistency with Berger.

On the other end I like how tipped Hornady bullets behave on deer and dislike the way bergers expand on deer.

The 3006 was a hand full, but not terrible. Positional targets sub 300 were a blur but I saw most of the rest. Part of why I like nrl hunter more than prs is I can choose how I want to make my position and am not told I have to shoot off a wobbly piece of crap.