Thunderbeast Magnus??

Lawnboi

WKR
This thing is a chunk of metal. Enough to make the ultra 7 jealous. I don’t think I can see myself carrying this hunting. You can tell this thing is built for short barrel magnums, just looking in the end at the baffles.

Cracked one off in the back yard and it’s pretty quiet. Hopefully I’ll get it to the range in the next couple days. Going to get some game gun use for the next couple months.

71B15851-A1CC-4B0D-97E1-37B1F9FBCD4A.jpeg

This thing is a chunk of metal. Enough to make the ultra 7 jealous. I don’t think I can see myself carrying this hunting. You can tell this thing is built for short barrel magnums, just looking in the end at the baffles.

Cracked one off in the back yard and it’s pretty quiet. Hopefully I’ll get it to the range in the next couple days. Going to get some game gun use for the next couple months.

View attachment 586183
Looks like about the dimensions of my 338 Ultra.

Lawnboi

WKR
Just shot a few rounds on my 6 creed with the magnus. The rifle weighs 21 pounds so maybe not earth shattering, but the can definitely controlled recoil better. Quiet can. For now I’ll keep the ultra 7 on my hunting guns.

metroplex

FNG
Any idea if the Magnus cuts down recoil as well as an Omega 300 with its anchor brake?
I finally got a chance to try my Omega 300 and the anchor brake made a huge difference for 300 Win Mag on a 7 lb rifle versus the Omega 36M. Omega 36M felt like it had no muzzle device, while the Omega 300 w/ anchor brake was like a longer softer gentle push.

B23

WKR

View attachment 586183
I really like how quiet this can is but like you said, it's a chunk of metal. I've been going back and forth between the Magnus and Nomad LTi as my next purchase. The Nomad LT isn't as quiet but is a bit smaller/lighter and since I already have a SAS 338 Vengeance I'm leaning more toward the Nomad LT but damn that Magnus is crazy quiet. Decisions decisions....

ID_Matt

WKR
Any idea if the Magnus cuts down recoil as well as an Omega 300 with its anchor brake?
I finally got a chance to try my Omega 300 and the anchor brake made a huge difference for 300 Win Mag on a 7 lb rifle versus the Omega 36M. Omega 36M felt like it had no muzzle device, while the Omega 300 w/ anchor brake was like a longer softer gentle push.
I have both. The magnus cuts recoil better - likely due to the sheer size of it and amount of baffles. Omega 30 is great for it's size though, in terms of recoil reduction.

Lawnboi

WKR
I really like how quiet this can is but like you said, it's a chunk of metal. I've been going back and forth between the Magnus and Nomad LTi as my next purchase. The Nomad LT isn't as quiet but is a bit smaller/lighter and since I already have a SAS 338 Vengeance I'm leaning more toward the Nomad LT but damn that Magnus is crazy quiet. Decisions decisions....
Honestly both the magnus and lti are massive and what I’d consider heavier cans. I have a buddy that has an LTI and have been able to hear and handle it. Personally I’m not enamored by the really big quiet cans. You still are not getting rid of that sonic crack, which means I’m still wearing plugs at the range. I’m not even sure I’d use the magnus for prairie dogs without ear pro. Depending on your environment it’s still loud enough. I’m okay for the most part with a ~10oz titanium 6-7” suppressor for a few unsuppressed shots. I see the lti and magnus as a very specialized can.

I personally wouldn’t buy a dead air can until they get their current issues worked out. Sounds like they are working towards a more permanent solution.

I’ll also mention, though on paper the magnus and nomad lti don’t look or weigh that much more than say an ultra 7…. Once you handle the thing you can immediately tell you’re dealing with a different animal. And once screwed on a hunting rifle the difference becomes even more notable.

And I know it’s cool to hate on TBAC right now on the internets, but they are a pretty awesome company.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Honestly both the magnus and lti are massive and what I’d consider heavier cans. I have a buddy that has an LTI and have been able to hear and handle it. Personally I’m not enamored by the really big quiet cans. You still are not getting rid of that sonic crack, which means I’m still wearing plugs at the range. I’m not even sure I’d use the magnus for prairie dogs without ear pro. Depending on your environment it’s still loud enough. I’m okay for the most part with a ~10oz titanium 6-7” suppressor for a few unsuppressed shots. I see the lti and magnus as a very specialized can.

I personally wouldn’t buy a dead air can until they get their current issues worked out. Sounds like they are working towards a more permanent solution.

I’ll also mention, though on paper the magnus and nomad lti don’t look or weigh that much more than say an ultra 7…. Once you handle the thing you can immediately tell you’re dealing with a different animal. And once screwed on a hunting rifle the difference becomes even more notable.

And I know it’s cool to hate on TBAC right now on the internets, but they are a pretty awesome company.
What would you say the specialized use for those large cans is? I was actually thinking of getting an LTI at some point but I’m just not sure I want something that big. I have a banish 30 and an ultra 7 so I’m pretty set with basic 7x1.5 cans.

Also, what issues does dead air have? I have a mask 22 and it seems pretty nice (although not noticeably better than my banish 22).

Also, what issues does dead air have? I have a mask 22 and it seems pretty nice (although not noticeably better than my banish 22).
I've read a few posts recently that they've had some quality control issues compounded with their OEM issues as far as repairs are concerned. No first hand knowledge myself but there seems to be a concern regarding some of their latest products failing and the fact that DA isn't actually the manufacturer of the product.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've read a few posts recently that they've had some quality control issues compounded with their OEM issues as far as repairs are concerned. No first hand knowledge myself but there seems to be a concern regarding some of their latest products failing and the fact that DA isn't actually the manufacturer of the product.
Interesting, I guess I have seen a pic of a nomad Ti blown apart. I suppose I’m not too worried about my mask 22, I doubt there’s enough pressure to blow it up and then bullets fly out of it without striking baffles.

It doesn't seem like they're failing left and right, the issue likely getting exaggerated like it does when any NFA item has an issue. Folks pay good money and suffer the wait time and get really frustrated when their investment doesn't go above and beyond expectations.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It doesn't seem like they're failing left and right, the issue likely getting exaggerated like it does when any NFA item has an issue. Folks pay good money and suffer the wait time and get really frustrated when their investment doesn't go above and beyond expectations.
I guess I’m also surprised to hear that they don’t make their own stuff. Is their stuff being made by a company that makes other silencers (for example the banish series from SC is made by Mack brothers who also sell their own cans).

wesfromky

WKR
The TL;DR with DA from my understanding is that the new Sierra 5.56 might have a design and/or manufacturing flaw that causes the baffles to disintegrate. They have sorta acknowledged the issue, but not to the satisfaction of /r/nfa/. And, I believe the CS times have really grown, with a lack of communication as well. There do not seem to be the widespread issues with the other cans, but if you need CS, you might be in for a long and frustrating wait.
I was looking at LTi as well, but decided to go with Otter Creek hydrogen instead. I did order another mask and my wolfman has been fine, so I am not totally down on DA.

If you want more info, just search /r/nfa - there a many threads of the failed cans and CS issues.

Lawnboi

WKR
What would you say the specialized use for those large cans is? I was actually thinking of getting an LTI at some point but I’m just not sure I want something that big. I have a banish 30 and an ultra 7 so I’m pretty set with basic 7x1.5 cans.

Big rifles I won’t carry far. I could see using it on something like a heavier rifle for longer range, just so it balances a little better. That and a range gun, I bought it mainly for my match rifle. I guess it depends on how you hunt but I don’t feel the smaller can really gives up all that much for the calibers and volume I shoot while hunting.

Towards the bottom of this thread someone from dead air kind of outlines changes happening within the company, hopefully for the better.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider

Do you have a preference between the banish 30 and the ultra 7? If you were going to pick one which one would it be?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Do you have a preference between the banish 30 and the ultra 7? If you were going to pick one which one would it be?
I'd probably take the ultra 7 and I'm not even a TBAC fanboy, I think its just. better product from a better company. If I was going to use the can for rimfire or something, then id take the banish 30 since you can open it up and clean it. Honestly though I found that I never use the extension for the b30 so I've never used it in the 9" setup (nor have I ever wanted to) and I've never taken it apart to clean it. Since I don't use those features, I'd pick one without those features.

As for sound, I can't tell a difference but my ears aren't finely tuned decibel measuring devices either. I also have the banish 22 and a deadair mask 22 and I can't tell a difference between those either on my 16" tikka t1x. I guess I'm not really convinced that theres a huge difference between any silencers that fall in the same size/class etc.