Easton HIT removal Tips and Bent Brass HITs

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Did the inserts fly out and hit something when swinging the drill bit? Seems like a lot of bend to be in the arrow with no damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No they didn’t come flying out. I was careful and swung slowly over a rug most of them I pulled out the last little bit with my fingers. I can’t explain it but this is how they came out of the arrows. I figured I’d share on here because they were obviously bent and I was surprised. I have had hard impacts in the past and had hits stop spinning true due to being bent, i never pulled those out though and just used them for target arrows.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
I've never frozen my arrows before, but I swung an arrow several years ago so many times with a drill bit that it mushroomed the back end of the HIT........and you could see the raised ring around the arrow shaft from that right where the back end of that HIT would be. It didn't budge even a millimeter. But freezing them might have some merit........as long as freezing doesn't somehow break down the resin or carbon in the shafts......kind of like acetone breaking them down, in a different way.

I’ve mushroomed HITs in the past as well, I knew the SS ones would come out without damaging them. I was kind of surprised the brass ones came out. I think the freezing made a big difference. They are also not Easton HITs they are Safari tuff so maybe they are slightly smaller or something?

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Couldve been when they hit the ground or wall when you blasted them out of there - the drill bit trick takes a massive amount of force and the ones Ive done, the hit has become a projectile coming out. I cant see how its possible for those brass hits to have that much bend in them...and the carbon is both straight and not compromised - there just isnt enough tolerance or slop with those brass hits to have that much bend and the arrow is still usable. Whatever point you had in there would be pinched so hard against the carbon youd need a pliers to twist them out. Theyd also wobble like theres no tomorrow.

Ive done the drill bit thing before, and yes they come out (wear eye proctection) but I had issue putting new inserts back in because of all the caked epoxy left inside the shaft. Id say about 60% of the arrows Ive done the drill bit thing on were able to have another hit properly seated and usable.

I pulled most of these the last tiny bit with my fingers and was doing it over a soft rug. The only time something went flying is when I accidentally held one backward and shot the drill bit and nock across the house:) the arrows were pretty much clean inside the epoxy came out on the inserts. I did clean both with acetone and a tips.
One set of these arrows previously had 50gr SS hits prior which I also removed the same way a couple years ago.

S.Clancy

WKR
Well, I tried to remove my 75gr HIT with the freeze and drill bit method. I must have put those suckers in good, cause I mushroomed every one of them. Cut my losses and just cut them off below the insert, oh well.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Well, I tried to remove my 75gr HIT with the freeze and drill bit method. I must have put those suckers in good, cause I mushroomed every one of them. Cut my losses and just cut them off below the insert, oh well.
That sucks, maybe the Easton brass is softer. The ones I removed were Safari Tuff 100fr brass inserts.

S.Clancy

WKR
That sucks, maybe the Easton brass is softer. The ones I removed were Safari Tuff 100fr brass inserts.
Yea, IDK. I will still be able to shoot them, so nothing really lost. I'll add a wrap in the middle-ish of the shaft to get the extra 10gr of arrow weight

Mmomn

Lil-Rokslider
I tried to remove 75gr Easton hits as well. I tried in the past with no luck. Put one in the freezer over night but no luck

I removed 6 today. I would say it took me about 6-10 minutes. Use low melt/temp glue. If an archery shop is cutting and glueing in inserts then request that they use the low temp glue. I’ve never had one pull out in a target either.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
I removed 6 today. I would say it took me about 6-10 minutes. Use low melt/temp glue. If an archery shop is cutting and glueing in inserts then request that they use the low temp glue. I’ve never had one pull out in a target either.
I’ve started using kimsha hot melt on most of my stuff. Still prefer Easton epoxy and SS HITs for durability. Recently moved to glue in broadheads and field points in 4mm shafts and am really liking them.

I glue my broadheads in as well but with an insert. I screw the head into the insert then put the glue on the insert and the ferrule of the broadhead. I don’t use collars either.

Beendare

WKR
When I was shooting Axis, I lightly sanded my inserts, cleaned the shaft and used the Easton epoxy…..there is no getting those out.

The strong epoxy is used as part of the system to make the end of the arrow stronger and less likely to suffer from a hard hit.…..I wouldn’t use a weaker glue.

elvis

FNG
I have got the Easton HITS epoxyed in and I'm a lil scared to try this. I want to put in new inserts but I'm thinkin that I should just use these for TAC until I lose em, ha.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
I have got the Easton HITS epoxyed in and I'm a lil scared to try this. I want to put in new inserts but I'm thinkin that I should just use these for TAC until I lose em, ha.
I would be cautious for sure, mine were removed from RIP TKO's and I wasn't using Easton HITs but was using Easton Epoxy. I have also ruined an arrow in the past with Easton brass inserts but stopped after the first one got ruined. I thought maybe the freezing saved me this time, maybe it was a combo of that, safari tuff inserts and Victory shafts.

Beendare

WKR
When I used to shoot the Axis shafts, I used to clean the inside with 90% alcohol, give the inserts a couple twists with 220 sandpaper and use the Easton epoxy….and there was no getting those inserts out.

The easton engineers recommended that process to me…and they emphasized it was part of a system to reinforce the working end of those axis Arrows.