Thoughts on the new Tricer AD tripod?

OP
sr80

sr80

WKR
I got mine delivered today. Been messing with it a bit, let me know if you have any specific questions.

First impressions:

- It is noticeable larger than my slick 634 (both length & thickness, taking up more packing volume)
- When inverted, the tricer lp does not increase stowed length (still 21") though I doubt I will travel with it inverted
- It weighs 1 oz more than then my 634 (33.33 vs 32.35)
- Significantly more stable, the thick legs on the bottom is a win
- The twist locks, lock opposite direction as my slik. Kept doing that wrong and going to take me some time to get use to.
- Twist locks do not feel as smooth as slik, will be interesting to see how they hold up over time.
- No doubt this tripod will be superior to shoot off of between the two.
- I would be curious how it stacks up against the new outdoorsman gen 2 head to head
- Comes with extra 4" center pole, that would allow you to use tripod as bipod if setup that way.

It is going to take me a little bit to get use to twisting the locks on the top and not the bottom. Overall I am excited to get this in the field and see how it does.
good stuff. I saw a quick IG video of a guy unboxing his. It looked like it was quite large in circumference when folded up. What is your thought on that?

JakeSCH

WKR
good stuff. I saw a quick IG video of a guy unboxing his. It looked like it was quite large in circumference when folded up. What is your thought on that?

So the circumference is about 1" larger (i wrapped string around both and measured) 9" for 634, 10" for AD.

I think that the AD just looks big because the legs are much longer than we are use to seeing.

Though with the tricer lp on (not-inverted), the length is 26". Obviously that can be dropped back to 21" if you invert, but opening it up would annoy me in the field.

As strong as these legs are, I think the BC would have been the perfect fit for me. Maybe I'll end up with both to see which one I like more.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
My BC came today, I’ve just messed around with in the house a little bit but so farI’m really impressed. It weighed 1lb 15.5 Oz with the Tricer pan head, which will save me a pound and a half over my sirui and VA-5. It’s nice and compact and impressively sturdy for such a little tripod. It can definitely hold my rifle. It’s easily as stable and probably a little better as my other one. I basically always glass sitting so I think it will do really well for me. The LP pan head does give up some smoothness to the VA-5, it’s definitely not as perfect but for its size it’s pretty incredible. It’s better than a lot of heads I’ve played with and for glassing I’m not sure I need much more. I think I’ll still use my VA-5 depending on the situation but backpacking I’ll take the Tricer. The other interesting thing about the Tricer LP is that I found it a little easier to attach my rifle. I have a pic rail in front of the arca which prevents me from sliding it into place moving the rifle forward with the VA-5. With the Tricer I can do that which is a little easier. Pan heads in general aren’t great for shooting but I like to have the option and I think this could still do that in a pinch

My only issue is that they are not made in the USA and the company name is TricerUSA . I do not see any place in the description where it says NOT made in the USA. So people will assume that they are buying American. Not Chinese.

Screenshot_20230602_200906_Instagram.jpg

My comment he replied to.
Screenshot_20230602_200956_Instagram.jpg

6.5x284

WKR
Got my BC in. Couldn’t do the locks twisting the other direction than all my other tripods. Also didn’t like how small the spread width was with tripod legs open. Doesn’t let me sit and glass with the tripod legs in the narrowest position since they don’t clear my leg width how I sit when I glass.

Will have to return or move it along. Machining seemed great. Was 1.71 lbs on my scale with 9” center column. I sure wish the locks twisted the same was as all my others! Nice and small and light though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sr80

sr80

WKR
Got my BC in. Couldn’t do the locks twisting the other direction than all my other tripods. Also didn’t like how small the spread width was with tripod legs open. Doesn’t let me sit and glass with the tripod legs in the narrowest position since they don’t clear my leg width how I sit when I glass.

Will have to return or move it along. Machining seemed great. Was 1.71 lbs on my scale with 9” center column. I sure wish the locks twisted the same was as all my others! Nice and small and light though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i did notice that the leg angle looks to be pretty steep when at the first setting. Thats odd about the twist locks, i wonder what the reasoning is behind that.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I did notice both of those things about my BC too. Maybe the twist locks are backwards because of the inverted leg? Not sure. It is pretty narrow, but I normally widen them anyways when I glass so I don’t think that’s going to bother me as much

JakeSCH

WKR
I did notice both of those things about my BC too. Maybe the twist locks are backwards because of the inverted leg? Not sure. It is pretty narrow, but I normally widen them anyways when I glass so I don’t think that’s going to bother me as much

I bet that is exactly why the twist locks are opposite direction. It will take me some time to get use to but not that big of a deal. I bet they bought standard twist locks and install them upside down instead of designing backward twist locks.

6.5x284

WKR
I bet that is exactly why the twist locks are opposite direction. It will take me some time to get use to but not that big of a deal. I bet they bought standard twist locks and install them upside down instead of designing backward twist locks.
Was exactly my thought...probably cheaper to use existing locks inverted than to pay to have them threaded reverse. just like an elevation turret for me, I can only use CCW, not CW!

Last edited:

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I got mine delivered today. Been messing with it a bit, let me know if you have any specific questions.

First impressions:

- It is noticeable larger than my slick 634 (both length & thickness, taking up more packing volume)
- When inverted, the tricer lp does not increase stowed length (still 21") though I doubt I will travel with it inverted
- It weighs 1 oz more than then my 634 (33.33 vs 32.35)
- Significantly more stable, the thick legs on the bottom is a win
- The twist locks, lock opposite direction as my slik. Kept doing that wrong and going to take me some time to get use to.
- Twist locks do not feel as smooth as slik, will be interesting to see how they hold up over time. I bet it will smooth out over more use.
- No doubt this tripod will be superior to shoot off of between the two.
- I would be curious how it stacks up against the new outdoorsman gen 2 head to head
- Comes with extra 4" center pole, that would allow you to use tripod as bipod if setup that way.

It is going to take me a little bit to get use to twisting the locks on the top and not the bottom. Overall I am excited to get this in the field and see how it does.
I had a different impression with the twist locks, I like how it feels much better than my Slik 634. The opposite direction definitely is confusing, but then again it reminds me that I'm trying something new. I haven't had a chance to attach it to my packs yet, but the AD does seem big and I'm wondering if I should've gotten the BC instead. But being a gear junkie I'd probably be lusting for the AD if I got the BC.

Looking forward to hear your experience testing it in the field!

Last edited:

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
I am happy I got the AD. Use it standing at the range a couple times a week. Very happy with it so far. I will have it in the field in a couple weeks when I get serious about scouting. I shot a few rounds off of it and it worked fine, hit what I was aiming at. Certainly not as stable as a heavy duty tripod, but it works.
I am doing everything my pocketbook allows to lighten up my pack.