Thoughts on Sako 85 Finnlight 2

atmat

WKR
Found a new Sako 85 Finnlight II in 6.5 creed at my local gun store marked down to $1500. Honestly don’t know much about Sako, and wasn’t considering a 6.5cm as I use a 6mm creed as my deer/pronghorn gun.

That said, seeing the $1000 discount had me wondering: is this a gun I should be interested in?

I do have two young girls who I’d love to one day have hunting with me, so another low recoil option doesn’t sound bad.

Dented

WKR
I've got a Sako Finnbear in 30 06. It's my do everything rifle. Absolutely love it. Someone may mention the ejection issues, but I recall that was long action only. I've never had an issue and I've run thousands of rounds through mine. I think they're fantastic guns, and for that price I'd buy it immediately. Hell, I bought mine $1000 off, wanted the model you're looking at but I couldn't pass up the one I have.

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
I own a Sako 85 in 308 with a 30mm Zeiss Diavari 2-10x42 mounted in Sako’s 1-piece lows. Never a hiccup. I have even tried to make it happen. It simply does not do what is described.

Maybe I got a good one. Phenomenally accurate and consistent factory rifle. I am not saying the ejections issues are a lie, just not experience with the issue here.

SDHNTR

WKR
I own a Sako 85 in 308 with a 30mm Zeiss Diavari 2-10x42 mounted in Sako’s 1-piece lows. Never a hiccup. I have even tried to make it happen. It simply does not do what is described.

Maybe I got a good one. Phenomenally accurate and consistent factory rifle. I am not saying the ejections issues are a lie, just not experience with the issue here.
The ejection issue is more prominent in the long actions.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
Thanks for the feedback guys. Considering heading back out tomorrow to buy it.

If anyone else has opinions, keep them coming!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’ve owned several Sako 85s from .204 up to .308. Amazing rifles. You won’t be a bit disappointed in buying it. If you have any detailed questions feel free to reach out.

Kimmo H

FNG
Go for it at that price!

Imo. the only downside to Sako actions is their proprietary dovetail system, that limits the rings available to mount optics. That said their own Sako Optilock system works great, and their inner rings make them 100% safe on optics, no ring marks or induced stress from misaligned rings is possible with Optilocks when torqued correctly.
I use Optilocks on all my rifles, even though there are other rings available for 17mm, 11mm and picatinny.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
While I don’t have an 85, I do have a 75 stainless in .260. It’s my favorite deer rifle and is every bit as accurate as my custom barrels on other rifles. If you like it, but it. You can always turn it and get your money back.

Riflenut

FNG
I have a Sako Grey Wolf in 6.5 Creedmoor. It is amazingly accurate, nice and light. The action is very smooth, definitely worth the money