Thinking of making a change

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I read his message again. He doesn’t state he wants to shoot long range. He says he wants a gun powerful enough for elk and mule deer and light enough for antelope and whitetails etc…. Im not sure why the prc is on the mind. I think the 30-06 is the best round out there for a all around western hunting cartridge. It’s all about ballistics, energy , speed and getting that bullet open. . A 30-06, 308 fit the bill perfect with a 6.5cm right there as well. All readily available ammo. The difference is to understand is the ballistic factors listed above . For example on my 30-06 I would never shoot an elk past 350 or so, my 308 or 6.5 I’ll keep it under 300. This keeps the bullets moving at least 1200fps Hitting with 1800ft pounds. I run a Barnes usually , if memory is correct they open up in the area of 1600 ( they publish) to 2000 LRx vs TTSX & tsx. Where as a hornady copper bullet with that zinc plate had to be moving 2200fps. For me that’s a bjg impact in my ballistics safety net.
Look at your realistic ranges, ammo availability and most important what you can enjoy shooting from a comfort standpoint for quality practice. I had a 300wm for a short time, overkill for my situation in all situations. Hope that opinion helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I own and have killed truckloads of animals with an ‘06.

I’ve learned a lot since then.

Please read the 223 thread.

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the 6.5 PRC and the 300 PRC and I love them both and have never regretted having them built.
I'm with IDShane... I have both, a 6.5PRC and a 300PRC and as a result my 300WM and 270 have gathered dust and I sold my 7MM. I'd use my 6.5PRC for absolutely everything at this point as it's lighter and more fun to shoot than my 300PRC... but I have a hunt on Kodiak in less than 3 weeks and the outfitter requires minimum 30 caliber.

I shoot factory ammo out of my 300PRC - Hornady 212 grain and have cases of ammo and no trouble finding it... I did have trouble during covid when you couldn't even find 9MM or .223, so every time I saw a case, I bought a case. I am looking for a good hand load for it and may try the heavier Bergers.
But... I prefer the 6.5PRC... ammo is readily available for it as well... This particular rifle prefers a hand load (Berger 156) but the groups in factory ammo or only slightly more open (still touching).

My 300 PRC has taken 8 animals at an average of 489 yards... Coues deer, Oryx, Mule deer and Javelina. Both suppressed and unsuppressed.

The 6.5PRC is much newer to me and has taken 5 animals at an average of 473 yards. Black bear, Mule deer, Coues deer and Javelina.

I vote for the 7mm PRC and 6.5 Creedmoor (or 6mm Creedmoor).

Not understanding your lack of desire to handload.

Some people just don't want to. I used to load when I shot matches, I had the best of everything which made the process easy and simple. Giraud trimmer, AMP annealer, Dillon 650 with multiple floating toolheads and autofeed for each caliber to deprime before SS tumbling, another to size before trimming, and another to seat after a second quick cleaning, A&D FX120I with autothrow and autotrickler. I loaded stupid consistent ammo but I spent more time loading and doing case prep than I did shooting and it felt like I had to do chores to do shoot.

When I moved to FL and got out of shooting matches I sold all my loading stuff and have shot factory ammo with the exception of my 223 77gr Berger pet load I had loaded up a bunch of. I now spend time shooting and doing other stuff instead of loading.

Is factory ammo as consistent as my loads? Hell no, a great ES for a 10 shot string of quality factory ammo is 30fps vs 5fps most of the time for my loads. Factory ammo doesn't shoot in the .1's consistently from a top tier cut rifled barrel like my loads did, and factory doesn't put rounds on top of one another on steel at 1000 yards. They hit the steel though and for hunting where I cut off my shots (600 yards max on game) they are more than accurate enough at 1/2-3/4moa from great factory ammo from a good barrel.

I buy ammo which is much easier to find than the hunt for components the last 5 years and I go shoot. If I was still shooting matches I would absolutely still load because for me for that it gave me a significant advantage cutting down that margin of error. There are better shooters than myself that go out and win matches with factory ammo though so you don't even HAVE to load to be good at matches, but it is an advantage.

mt100gr.

WKR
Curious, the 223 thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. And be sure to read all of it with an open mind. There's a lot to unpack (and unlearn) but it's an amazing compilation of knowledge, experience and first hand evidence.

OP
Deano0686

Deano0686

Lil-Rokslider
I think after hearing everyone’s opinions and the articles presented, I’ll go with a 6.5 creedmoore as cheap but still efficient shooter that I can get a bunch of range time with, and then the 300 prc for a big dog Missle striker

Mojave

WKR
Ammunition availability would be my only consideration in these trying times.

Even on the 300 PRC!

I buy things in case lots. Normally two cases at a time when I find them on sale. I never buy ammunition from a big box or a brick and mortar. Cheaper ammo online.