Thinking of making a change

Deano0686

Lil-Rokslider
So I own a 28 nosler and it’s the only rifle I own for hunting out west. I’m thinking of selling it for its low ammo availability and ammo pricing. With that being said, if I did that I’m contemplating buying a 300 prc and possibly also a 6.5 prc. Using the 300 for elk and muleys, then using the 6.5 for antelope and whitetails around home here in the Midwest. I know there’s not a ton a factory ammo choices for the 300 but I only ever shoot Hornady anyway and it seems to be readily available and reasonable in cost. I appreciate anyone’s input and opinions here! Thanks in advance

Personally I would go 300 of whatever flavor and 6.5 Creedmoor. The 6.5 PRC is over kill in my opinion for WT and antelope. I've killed several WT and antelope with the 6.5 CM and 260 Rem and think they are perfect for this purpose.

Expected this to begin, “so I’m looking to move to x state, I’ve never lived out west…” I like your plan to switch for better ammo availability.

So I own a 28 nosler and it’s the only rifle I own for hunting out west. I’m thinking of selling it for its low ammo availability and ammo pricing. With that being said, if I did that I’m contemplating buying a 300 prc and possibly also a 6.5 prc. Using the 300 for elk and muleys, then using the 6.5 for antelope and whitetails around home here in the Midwest. I know there’s not a ton a factory ammo choices for the 300 but I only ever shoot Hornady anyway and it seems to be readily available and reasonable in cost. I appreciate anyone’s input and opinions here! Thanks in advance
Have you considered reloading? I know you didn’t mention that route I Only bring it up is I know how much I like my 28 Nosler and couldn’t imagine keeping it if I didn’t reload now that ammo is $120 on the shelf

Have you considered reloading? I know you didn’t mention that route I Only bring it up is I know how much I like my 28 Nosler and couldn’t imagine keeping it if I didn’t reload now that ammo is $120 on the shelf
I’ve never considered it simply because I’m an hour away from a big range to do load development and I simply don’t think I wanna put the time and effort and money into to be honest

Or just buy a 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor and enjoy a huge ammo selection, cheaper ammo, better barrel life, and less recoil and kill those same animals just as dead and use the money you'll spend on a second rifle and optic for a better optic and cases of ammo for more trigger time and be a better shooter.
Definitely makes sense.

Personally I would go 300 of whatever flavor and 6.5 Creedmoor. The 6.5 PRC is over kill in my opinion for WT and antelope. I've killed several WT and antelope with the 6.5 CM and 260 Rem and think they are perfect for this purpose.
My only thought on the 6.5 prc was it would be better for wind drift?

You shouldn't be worried about wind drift if not shooting at that "big range" and don't want to "put the time, effort or money into it". Just my opinion.
Your opinion of long range is probably different than mine. I’m only talking 600-700 yards

Last edited:
My only thought on the 6.5 prc was it would be better for wind drift?
6.5 PRC will get you a few hundred FPS more than a 6.5 CM. However, you won't notice this advantage unless you're shooting way out there (400+). However, you may notice the additional recoil.

Read the following 2 threads from start to finish and then make an informed decision. IMO, you don't need 2 rifles to achieve what you're after. If you're shooting inside 400 yards, there are many rifles that, to @PNWGATOR's point, will do an admirable job with significantly less recoil. A few options from smallest to largest:

.223 with 77 grain bullets (if legal where you hunt)
.243 with 100ish grain bullets
6mm Creed with 100-110 grain bullets
25 Creed with 100-120 grain bullets or heavies (133-135) if you have a fast twist barrel
.25-06 with 100-120 grain bullets or heavies (133-135) if you have a fast twist barrel
6.5mm Creed with 130-147 grain bullets

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/223-for-bear-deer-elk-and-moose.130488/unread

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/6mm-243-hunting-success-on-big-game.284525/page-9#post-3089595

6.5 PRC will get you a few hundred FPS more than a 6.5 CM. However, you won't notice this advantage unless you're shooting way out there (400+). However, you may notice the additional recoil.

Read the following 2 threads from start to finish and then make an informed decision. IMO, you don't need 2 rifles to achieve what you're after. If you're shooting inside 400 yards, there are many rifles that, to @PNWGATOR's point, will do an admirable job with significantly less recoil. A few options from smallest to largest:

.223 with 77 grain bullets (if legal where you hunt)
.243 with 100ish grain bullets
6mm Creed with 100-110 grain bullets
25 Creed with 100-120 grain bullets or heavies (133-135) if you have a fast twist barrel
.25-06 with 100-120 grain bullets or heavies (133-135) if you have a fast twist barrel
6.5mm Creed with 130-147 grain bullets

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/223-for-bear-deer-elk-and-moose.130488/unread

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/6mm-243-hunting-success-on-big-game.284525/page-9#post-3089595
Right on. Thanks for your input and information!

Your opinion of long range is probably different than mine. I’m only talking 600-700 yards

I his point is that you should put in the time to go shoot at distance. 600-700 yards even with a great trigger man isn’t just as simple and putting the crosshairs on it and pulling the trigger even with a great ballistics app. 300 yards is about as far as you’re going to be squared away with only being good at pulling a trigger but without putting in the effort to go train at shooting distance and reading wind. If you just make a ballistic chart but only go shoot at a 100 yard range you’re going to end up wounding animals.

Get 1 7prc for everything
I’d just keep my 28 nosler.
I his point is that you should put in the time to go shoot at distance. 600-700 yards even with a great trigger man isn’t just as simple and putting the crosshairs on it and pulling the trigger even with a great ballistics app. 300 yards is about as far as you’re going to be squared away with only being good at pulling a trigger but without putting in the effort to go train at shooting distance and reading wind. If you just make a ballistic chart but only go shoot at a 100 yard range you’re going to end up wounding animals.
I understand his point. But I was only saying I couldn’t get to a big range a ton to develop a load. However, I go to that big range and shoot out to 700 yards about once a month. So I’m not a stranger to shooting that far. But it cost an arm and a leg with my 28 nosler. Which is why I started this thread in the first place

Back