18” 6.5PRC - handicapped with a SA?

Sevens

WKR
Been more and more interested in shorter and shorter barrels with suppressor use. The 6.5 PRC seems to get good performance from an 18” barrel.

Am I handicapping the cartridge if I was to build the 6.5 PRC in a short action? Seems a lot of folks recommend a long action to allow seating bullets out further, especially if using a shorter barrel. I don’t reload, would this still come into play on factory ammo (cartridge not fitting in a short action)?

What is everyone seeing for velocity on factory 6.5 PRC ammo in short(er) barrels?

grfox92

WKR
Been more and more interested in shorter and shorter barrels with suppressor use. The 6.5 PRC seems to get good performance from an 18” barrel.

Am I handicapping the cartridge if I was to build the 6.5 PRC in a short action? Seems a lot of folks recommend a long action to allow seating bullets out further, especially if using a shorter barrel. I don’t reload, would this still come into play on factory ammo (cartridge not fitting in a short action)?

What is everyone seeing for velocity on factory 6.5 PRC ammo in short(er) barrels?
If the magazine supports the COAL of factory ammo, the only thing I could think of is feeding issues

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
My new Seekins Havak in 6.5 PRC will be here next week. Its got a little longer barrel than you are talking (21") but I plan on trying 5 different types of ammo in it and getting the speeds for every shot. I have a post on here about it that I plan on updating once I get the data. If I remember I will update you on this post as well.

madcalfe

WKR

if you don't reload and are only using factory ammunition building on a short action will be fine.
even if you do plan to reload you can get a notch milled in your feed ramp and run terminus mags or hawkins hunter mags with a coal of 2.980"

WRO

WKR

I shoot a lot of critters with factory match ammo 20” barrel. No issues about 2900 fps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 18' PRC with a banish 30.
W/o suppressor it's loud enough to get everyone's attention at range.
For me I was happy even if I only had Creedmoor velocity with the short barrel.
It will still more than do the job.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Short action with Hawkins Hunter M5 DBM and their mags works great for me. I went with the 140 elite hunter as my barrel is 20”. N560 under it got 2,950 which is a nice place to be, the elite doesn’t drop nearly as much my H1000 load with 139 scenar.