The Shoot2hunt Podcast

Harvey_NW

WKR
Don't overpay for crappy barrel coolers.
I put one together with a bigger battery powered air mattress pump and some poly hose that moved a lot of volume and didn't really notice a distinguishable difference in cooling time when using it. It was more annoying listening to it run than it was to wait an extra minute.

Jt89

FNG
Curious to hear Forms perspective on projectile stability when transonic. I understand that historically our fathers and grandfathers made a big deal out of how bullets lose all sense of direction when travelling through the transonic zone 😂 I've seen one or two you tubers who claim it isn't a thing.

A secondary question, when reloading is it actually worth separating brass out by the original manufacturer or do we as shooters suck more than the difference it may or may not make. Let's say for arguments sake a guy has 200 empty sako .308 cases, 200 ish hornady cases and a mixed bag of about 150 of pretty much everything else.

Interesting question obviously I’m not Form
There’s a few contradictions here you’re talking serious long range stuff and going transonic and mixing brass all in the one statement, that ain’t gonna end well

On the other hand plenty of people deal with the issue of going transonic without to much drama. Look up “Mark and Sam after work “

Jt89

FNG
Interesting question obviously I’m not Form
There’s a few contradictions here you’re talking serious long range stuff and going transonic and mixing brass all in the one statement, that ain’t gonna end well

On the other hand plenty of people deal with the issue of going transonic without to much drama. Look up “Mark and Sam after work “
Mark and Sam are exactly who I'm thinking of with regard to saying it's not a thing. The question of transonic shooting is purely academic, I don't shoot that far and probably never will but I'm still curious to hear what he has to say.

Mixing brass is an unrelated question but more aplicable to the average hunter who typically shoots 500 yards and in. I'd like to know in the scheme of SD, ES, and hit rate probability due to wind call error if it actually matters to the average Joe and at what point it becomes relevant.

You must be dedicated, it is a hard listen 😂 they must get paid by the hour

Most brass is pretty similar in capacity so it doesn’t make a huge difference

From field positions most of that stuff becomes irrelevant

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Curious to hear Forms perspective on projectile stability when transonic. I understand that historically our fathers and grandfathers made a big deal out of how bullets lose all sense of direction when travelling through the transonic zone 😂 I've seen one or two you tubers who claim it isn't a thing.

It depends on the bullet, twist, and conditions. Some bullets die well through transonic, and some due poorly. Some of the bullets that due poorly in normal twist barrels, due noticeably better in much faster twist barrels. To say that all bullets due well through transonic with normal/conventional twist rates is demonstrably untrue.

A secondary question, when reloading is it actually worth separating brass out by the original manufacturer or do we as shooters suck more than the difference it may or may not make. Let's say for arguments sake a guy has 200 empty sako .308 cases, 200 ish hornady cases and a mixed bag of about 150 of pretty much everything else.

If, you check the load for pressure in each different brass- there’s really no safety issue with mixing brass. I shoot a lot of 223/77gr TMK loads in mixed brass, they shoot identically. However, there are certain high pressure loads that if brass is mixed at the same charge weight, blown primers result. So- it depends. Check each brass type for pressure, then POI/zero, then velocity. If they are all matching up, then no- it doesn’t matter.