The Shoot2hunt Podcast

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
Think you guys will ever have an episode on ultra ultralight rifles? I find that stuff super interesting.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
As in they don’t need cleaned? Or that’s not something you mess with?

Thanks!

As in I have had multiple Vudoos, Tikka T1x’s, Sako, and other precision .22’s and have not seen a drop off in 30 round group size at 50 yards with zero cleaning and thousands upon thousands of rounds through each.

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider
As in I have had multiple Vudoos, Tikka T1x’s, Sako, and other precision .22’s and have not seen a drop off in 30 round group size at 50 yards with zero cleaning and thousands upon thousands of rounds through each.
I have a gen 1 vudoo, been running it for 5 years or maybe 6 now. I just cleaned it a couple months ago. I had to go buy things to clean it with because like you I don't believe in cleaning unless shown otherwise. I've never been shown otherwise until recently. My groups got very bad compared to what it shot in the past with the same lot # of center x. I verified before and after cleaning and there was a significant size difference in 25 round group size. It suprised me. I just used c4 to soak in the chamber and then pulled like 2 patches down the barrel. Definitely not down to bare metal and definitely no scrubbing and it shots how it used to now. I don't track numbers of rounds very closely but I know in competition alone it's over 4000 based off numbers of matches and the rounds fired and practice is significantly more rounds than that.

I don’t shoot a lot of rimfire but I have noticed when changing brands group size can be quite variable until the barrel seasons to the new ammo (maybe half a box)
I believe it is due to different lube formulations
Some are quite waxy while some euro stuff is oily, at least in my climate

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t shoot a lot of rimfire but I have noticed when changing brands group size can be quite variable until the barrel seasons to the new ammo (maybe half a box)
I believe it is due to different lube formulations
Some are quite waxy while some euro stuff is oily, at least in my climate
Yeah when switching from eley to sk/lapua variants that's very commom

Every time the stockys stocks commercial comes on the podcast
37fbdd82cada2aaa5370f7e95af43414.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not seen that even in extremely humid environments with stainless barrels.
I have not either, and most of my rifle hunting is done in very wet weather

I put my rifle in a dry place when I have the chance and take the bolt apart before and after the wet season.

I will wipe my rifle dry when convenient and I think about it

I have not cleaned or done anything to the inside of a barrel in years, ever since I decided that I wasn’t going to clean until I saw a change in accuracy, and all of my hunting is done on the coast.

The inside of the bolt is the only place I have had rust issues on stainless rifles, and have not had a problem since the one and only time with the firing pin getting really rusty

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Couple questions from last weeks episodes.

@Formidilosus, when putting on a new barrel. Do you grease the barrel threads, dry, or thread lock of some sort? The Tikka barrel I pulled appeared to have grease and new barrel was greased and tightened past 100 ft/lbs

@RyanAvery, what kind of practice shooting/regimen are you doing with the .223 to burn through a couple thousand rounds this spring? I have marching orders on where to start..., just curious.

@Formidilosus - Any chance you can run through how to setup and how/where a .22LR trainer is useful; podcast or thread. Ie, I believe you mentioned .22 should be zeroed at 40 yards (currently zeroed at 50). Hunting practice drill shot at 50 yards with half size targets. Losing some recoil that keeps you honest I know, but with .22LR/.223/ larger cartridge all set up similar there has to be some value.

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
Interested in the backpack design that fits lawn gnomes and ogres, while keeping snacks handy...

What I want UM to design is a gun bearer/slik sling style system that works with Rokstok QD cups. I would imagine two QD male straps would function great compared to the basket style. I'll beta test for free in exchange for the idea.

I’ll second @Formidilosus take on trainer .22’s. I have one that is suppressed and can shoot daily from inside my house or in the yard. I feel it’s been helpful in setting up positions, trigger control etc., far better than dry firing as you actually have results from impacts on a target 30-40 yards away.

I have an arsenal of podcast channels in my que, and this is still the one I enjoy the most when I see that a new episode has popped up. Great balance of info and comaderee. Keep it up!

X2

One of the best uniting podcasts out there. Always has me laughing out loud (except when the stockys stocks commercial comes on, that is one loud commercial lol )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk