The Shoot2hunt Podcast

huntnful

WKR
(Edit, Form beat me to the garden gnome pun)
It would be interesting to hear his perspective in 5 years if he starts shooting smaller cartridges/projectiles, especially if he’s willing to use something other than monos

Ironically enough, one of the most wasteful shots I’ve ever taken or seen was with a mono, big giant buck that would not turn, watched him for several minutes in the scope, finally quartered to and decided that was good enough.

Shot the buck through the shoulder and the bone fragments trashed a bunch of the offside shoulder too, it was a bloodshot mess.

The difference I have seen in normal use between match bullets and mono/AB type bullets is more bloodshot under shoulders and on the outside, but not much difference in actual meat yield… hit bone with a hard bullet, it’s still making a mess

I feel like the argument for using harder bullets has pretty much lost it’s significance with me, the last thing I held onto was making it through bone, I used to think a shoulder might stop a soft bullet, but have not seen it, and the 223 thread put that to rest for me

Good to see most seem to at least have an open mind about it, and are not afraid to be proven wrong with everything they grew up learning.
My buddy shot a buck in the shoulder with a 180TTSX from a 300 win. at 450 yards. All but lost the shoulder. It obliterated the meat and made a giant mess. Definitely couldn't "cut right up to the hole" haha.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
My buddy shot a buck in the shoulder with a 180TTSX from a 300 win. at 450 yards. All but lost the shoulder. It obliterated the meat and made a giant mess. Definitely couldn't "cut right up to the hole" haha.

I hunted with two brothers in high school, and they used a 30-378 pushing 165g blue Molly Barnes X bullets. They freaking destroyed elk meat with that thing. "Gotta put it on the shoulder they would say.".... Maybe, but probably not at 90 yards:)

They moved to 180 Nosler BT later and started shooting elk farther back.

Grundy53

WKR
I guess you are back from Africa, where’s the giraffe pictures?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

huntnful

WKR
I hunted with two brothers in high school, and they used a 30-378 pushing 165g blue Molly Barnes X bullets. They freaking destroyed elk meat with that thing. "Gotta put it on the shoulder they would say.".... Maybe, but probably not at 90 yards:)

They moved to 180 Nosler BT later and started shooting elk farther back.
Haha I freaking bet.

Fragmenting bullets, behind the shoulder, make a mess of everything EXCEPT the meat 🙌🏼🙌🏼

gabenzeke

WKR
Am I the only one that is only getting sound on the left side of the new episode? Tried other podcasts and they work....so it's not my headphones I don't think...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Norcal18

FNG
Am I the only one that is only getting sound on the left side of the new episode? Tried other podcasts and they work....so it's not my headphones I don't think...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

You’re not alone. Same problem for me, I noticed this with the Rokcast podcasts too for a few episodes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk