The Shoot2hunt Podcast

amassi

WKR
Second the barrel break in. Ive never believed in it, but so many insist... but then for those production rifles that come with "sub moa cards" showing their first group through your new gun... surely they arent doing a barrel break in.

They also aren’t shooting those groups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eric1115

WKR
I would love to hear a discussion of cleaning (or lack thereof) on stuff like 223 or 308 that we know to be pretty forgiving on cleaning versus not cleaning magnums or otherwise overbore cartridges.

I have completely quit cleaning my 223 and 308 rifles, and have no intention of cleaning the new 6ARC. I only have probably 400 rounds through my 7RM since I quit cleaning it, and have a nagging feeling that it might be a little bit different animal. Carbon rings, etc. can't be 100% fiction, can they? I've always tended towards longer cleaning intervals, probably 200 to 300 for that rifle and never had issues. Am I creating a giant headache for future me to sort out if I just quit cleaning that rifle altogether?

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to hear a discussion of cleaning (or lack thereof) on stuff like 223 or 308 that we know to be pretty forgiving on cleaning versus not cleaning magnums or otherwise overbore cartridges.

I have completely quit cleaning my 223 and 308 rifles, and have no intention of cleaning the new 6ARC. I only have probably 400 rounds through my 7RM since I quit cleaning it, and have a nagging feeling that it might be a little bit different animal. Carbon rings, etc. can't be 100% fiction, can they? I've always tended towards longer cleaning intervals, probably 200 to 300 for that rifle and never had issues. Am I creating a giant headache for future me to sort out if I just quit cleaning that rifle altogether?
Also interested in their discussion of this topic. I have generally found that cleaning my .308 barrels is pointless and provides no tangible benefit, same with my .223 AR barrels. I used to have a 6.5 CM Proof barrel that was also not sensitive to cleaning. Now I have a CarbonSix 6.5 CM prefit on a Tikka that I believe is developing a carbon ring within 200 round intervals (attaining 2700+ fps MV out of a 22” barrel with multiple lots of factory 143 ELDX Precision Hunter, which is supposedly 2700 fps from a 24” barrel; heavy bolt lifts; observed carbon deposits in throat just past case mouth; scoring on bullet when chambered).

It’s on my list to actually test dispersion and velocity before cleaning and after cleaning on that barrel. Only 600ish rounds on it so far.

And on another newer rifle I have a 6.5 CM PVA steel prefit. A couple hundred rounds in and it seems to show no sensitivity to being dirty.

What gives? What specifically controls the buildup of carbon in front of the case mouth on some barrels when some don’t? Should I actually care? (Trust me, if in my testing dispersion is unchanged from dirty to clean, I will stop caring immediately unless a reputable expert tells me I should be worried…)

When will 6mm and 224 barrels be available to purchase from UM/Ace?

They have both listed as in-stock at UM in "tikka lite" contour but there is also a note that says "will ship by 12/22" which makes it seem like they maybe aren't in stock but on order?

Lawnboi

WKR
Question on last podcast.

I like me some tikka prefits and having an option for another non big name smith doing this is appealing, especially for getting more custom work done. My question is for tikkas are you going to turn down the shank (on an all steel barrel) to match the tikka 1.13 or whatever it is?

Oh and you guys should stock 6mm 7.5 twist barrels.

Dudes, I think UM is one step ahead of you on the tikka lite contours (unless @DangerRanger really just wants his shank turned). 7.5 twist in 224 and 6mm. Dont buy all the 224 tubes before i pull the trigger though ok?

That said, i've noticed a few things on UM's site where there are technical statements that are not accurate. Example in the second screenshot below - The Bartlein, hart, benchmark, krieger contours listed aren't all the same so the Ace cant be the same as them all. Similar, sure. Cant imagine they'd have a tikka contour that had a 1.2 or 1.25" shank though.

1699381950986.png

1699381972924.png

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Dudes, I think UM is one step ahead of you on the tikka lite contours. 7.5 twist in 224 and 6mm. Dont buy all the 224 tubes before i pull the trigger though ok?

That said, i've noticed a few things on UM's site where there are technical statements that are not accurate. Example in the second screenshot below - The Bartlein, hart, benchmark, krieger contours listed aren't all the same so the Ace cant be the same as them all. Similar, sure. Cant imagine they'd have a tikka contour that had a 1.2 or 1.25" shank though.

View attachment 623910

View attachment 623911

And I just dropped off my 223 and a blank at LRI….

Still curious on if they will turn down the larger contours to the tikka shank diameter. I have a few stocks that don’t play along well with 1.2” shanks.

I need me a 6.5 creedmoor barrel, maybe a couple match 6 creed or gt barrels. And maybe an 18” 6 creed. To many ideas not enough money

Sadler

WKR
They have both listed as in-stock at UM in "tikka lite" contour but there is also a note that says "will ship by 12/22" which makes it seem like they maybe aren't in stock but on order?
Good to know! Last time I looked I didn’t see that.

Dudes, I think UM is one step ahead of you on the tikka lite contours (unless @DangerRanger really just wants his shank turned). 7.5 twist in 224 and 6mm. Dont buy all the 224 tubes before i pull the trigger though ok?

View attachment 623910

View attachment 623911
Maybe not exact but a Bart 3b is the normal comparison bart contour to a Krieger 5 like they are listing

Maybe not exact but a Bart 3b is the normal comparison bart contour to a Krieger 5 like they are listing

Yes, closest comparison and very close in most regards but I think the only one that is exactly the same as that #3 is the Krieger. I'm probably nitpicking too much but i'd be unhappy if i had a stock inletted for a #3 benchmark and then got one of those #1 ACE barrels and my stock required more inletting to fit the "same" contour.

I’ve been listening to these and it’s one of 4 that I “follow” I have listened to the bullet one a few times. Lots of good info, keep it up

This reminds me, I’ll sub to the YouTube channel right now, and remind others to do the same so you guys can keep doing it