The Shoot2hunt Podcast

BigDog00

WKR
I'd like to know what they think of the argument/discussion of 6 groove vs 5 groove etc. I listened to a podcast with Frank Green (Bartlien), and he discussed some data that 6-groove rifling created a bur on the bullet that 5r rifling did not and that bur could affect ballistics. They were supposedly going to look deeper into it, but it was interesting to here.

fwafwow

WKR
Great latest podcast. I love the update on the new rings, and while I will never probably need to fire form or use a pre-fit, I appreciate the education.

fwafwow

WKR
Episode 44 - great job. I’ve still got another half hour to go, but I’ve already added the Lightning Strike fire starter, Molar (when available) and the BTR chair to my list.

I appreciate Ryan’s strong recommendation that everyone should carry a tourniquet. But Jake then said something about the use of paracord and a stick for a tourniquet. Don’t do it. A commercial TQ is the best (and there are some very small and light ones - including this one - https://www.snakestaffsystems.com/). And while an improvised TQ is better than nothing, everyone should know when to use direct pressure instead of a TQ, and if you are going to improvise a TQ, paracord is close the last thing one should use. An article of clothing would likely be better. This is worth reading - https://truerescue.com/blogs/knowledge/how-to-make-a-tourniquet

Episode 44 - great job. I’ve still got another half hour to go, but I’ve already added the Lightning Strike fire starter, Molar (when available) and the BTR chair to my list.

I appreciate Ryan’s strong recommendation that everyone should carry a tourniquet. But Jake then said something about the use of paracord and a stick for a tourniquet. Don’t do it. A commercial TQ is the best (and there are some very small and light ones - including this one - https://www.snakestaffsystems.com/). And while an improvised TQ is better than nothing, everyone should know when to use direct pressure instead of a TQ, and if you are going to improvise a TQ, paracord is close the last thing one should use. An article of clothing would likely be better. This is worth reading - https://truerescue.com/blogs/knowledge/how-to-make-a-tourniquet
I would also like to say that if you are going to carry a tourniquet learn how to use it. You can sometimes do more damage than good if not properly trained with one.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I would also like to say that if you are going to carry a tourniquet learn how to use it. You can sometimes do more damage than good if not properly trained with one.

I agree with you on getting trained.

But how can you do more damage then death. If you need a tourniquet you are going to die without one.

I would personally rather the extra damage to death.

fwafwow

WKR

But how can you do more damage then death. If you need a tourniquet you are going to die without one.

Maybe it would be better said that if you aren’t trained you could do more damage (such as to nerves) and pain than if you were trained.

I completely agree. My wording was a bit confusing but obviously even an improperly applied improvised tourniquet can be the difference of life and death. Fwafwow said it much better than myself sorry for any confusion.

I completely agree. My wording was a bit confusing but obviously even an improperly applied improvised tourniquet can be the difference of life and death. Fwafwow said it much better than myself sorry for any confusion.
I guess ultimately what I’m trying to say is buying a tourniquet and throwing it in your pack is not going to automatically save someone’s life. Learn how to use it other wise you can cause serious damage to a person if it works or you could even possibly not save them due to an improper usage of the tourniquet.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

Your good bud. The point I was trying to make is,

I think carrying one and not being trained is better then not carrying one because your not trained.

Getting trained to use it is the best but in the moment I would be happy to have one applied by someone that isn't trained.

ElPollo

WKR
@Ryan Avery

I listened to this podcast while driving home from NM tonight, so forgive me that I wasn’t able to take notes and wasn’t watching on YouTube where I could see everything. One question. You spent an hour and a half detailing your list and the weights of all your load out, including what sounds like a mini disco ball light system for your tent. At the end you said your pack was only 26#. How long was the string of pack goats it took to carry the rest of your stuff? 😁

Great job on the podcast. I have several things I need to look up now and put on my Christmas list.

fwafwow

WKR
@Ryan Avery

I listened to this podcast while driving home from NM tonight, so forgive me that I wasn’t able to take notes and wasn’t watching on YouTube where I could see everything. One question. You spent an hour and a half detailing your list and the weights of all your load out, including what sounds like a mini disco ball light system for your tent. At the end you said your pack was only 26#. How long was the string of pack goats it took to carry the rest of your stuff? 😁

Great job on the podcast. I have several things I need to look up now and put on my Christmas list.
Is there a list of the gear posted somewhere?

You can some serious damage with a tourniquet. Most folks grossly overestimate how much blood they’re losing. Tourniquet should be for life threatening bleeding, like accidentally shot your buddies leg off with your 7mag. I have a hard time imaging a field scenario when it would be truly needed except gunshot to an extremity. direct pressure is effective and safer, almost always.

Downside of tourniquet is causing someone to need an amputation when they would have been fine in the first place. A properly placed tourniquet can only be left on for a short time otherwise you are killing downstream tissue.

When someone shows up in my trauma bay with a tourniquet on, first thing I do is take the damn thing off unless the limb is obviously mangled. They are almost never needed in the first place.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Tourniquets are to stop arterial bleeding (ie you're going to die in minutes) . If you apply a tourniquet get it as high on the limb as possible and tight enough to stop the artery spraying blood. Your tourniquet needs to be easily accessible, like within seconds not minutes.

People make a big deal about keeping them in place for too long. The gwot proved that to be kind of overblown.

Love the podcast! You guys are killing it.

You can some serious damage with a tourniquet. Most folks grossly overestimate how much blood they’re losing. Tourniquet should be for life threatening bleeding, like accidentally shot your buddies leg off with your 7mag. I have a hard time imaging a field scenario when it would be truly needed except gunshot to an extremity. direct pressure is effective and safer, almost always.

Downside of tourniquet is causing someone to need an amputation when they would have been fine in the first place. A properly placed tourniquet can only be left on for a short time otherwise you are killing downstream tissue.

When someone shows up in my trauma bay with a tourniquet on, first thing I do is take the damn thing off unless the limb is obviously mangled. They are almost never needed in the first place.
Thanks for the insight on tourniquets. I was wondering what scenario would call for a tourniquet as I have no training with them but it just seems unlikely for me to need short of a gunshot wound. Not saying something crazy can’t happen I just can’t think of many things that would cause me to need one.

amassi

WKR
Thanks for the insight on tourniquets. I was wondering what scenario would call for a tourniquet as I have no training with them but it just seems unlikely for me to need short of a gunshot wound. Not saying something crazy can’t happen I just can’t think of many things that would cause me to need one.

Your much more fragile than only needing a tq for a gsw. That was an extremely hyperbolic silly thing to say.
See post above yours re: arterial bleeds
Then think all the sharp things capable of creating that sort of bleed in hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess if I really had to use one I’d use a boot lace or paracord and a stick. But if you’re busting out a tourniquet, you should be thinking medevac and life or death

fwafwow

WKR
Arrow to an artery, like in your own arm or leg, could be a bleed that’s hard to stop with pressure.

I totally agree with the comments above about TQs should only be used when nothing else works. That goes with the primary suggestion - get trained. 👍