The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

I think we still go down from here. At an absolute minimum the S&P 500 gets back down to its lows from earlier in the year, which was 35-something. I think it's unlikely it stops there, but that's the point that I start to actually watch and get interested. Most of the big prognosticators say 3000 is possible, which would be another 20% drop from now. NASDAQ/tech stocks probably a bigger percentage still considering they tend to make bigger moves than S&P stocks.

I see things through my own risk lens and my intent for my money (long-term retirement money vs. 3-5 years from now money to buy house/property), but I think I'll start dipping my toe back in the water broadly when S&P hits 3500. Might just do index funds, but will also consider individual names that the gubment won't let bankrupt if the share prices get down far enough. Willing to take higher risk with my retirement funds than I am with my 3-5 yrs from now money for sure.

Pretty sure I’m selling off all VTI that I bought for over $190 next week. Hoping it goes up to $194ish to break even on those shares. Should have sold Wednesday.

Then sit it out for 2-3 months unless there is a decent dip of 5 percent or more.

Hard to imagine a total stock market fund being higher a month or two from now than it is today with everything that’s going on.

I’m only good at killing things with a bow and arrow so who knows.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on that plan?

Disclaimer…

***Doing this either way, so not soliciting financial advice from strangers on a hunting forum😂***

Well with TSLA hitting 52 week lows I’m debating picking up several shares for medium - long-term investing.

I’m hoping as we roll into the New Year TSLA comes on down into the ballpark of $100/share. I think eventually once the Twitter debacle resides and the dust settles TSLA will rally.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Well with TSLA hitting 52 week lows I’m debating picking up several shares for medium - long-term investing.

I’m hoping as we roll into the New Year TSLA comes on down into the ballpark of $100/share. I think eventually once the Twitter debacle resides and the dust settles TSLA will rally.
Me too.

The $1.7T IRA Bill just passed includes a tax credit for Tesla (actually all EV makers) that was not given in the past as Tesla had reached the maximum allowable units under the old law. I think GM did too, but the tax credit flood gates are now open for Tesla and it should help their sales tremendously given they have 65%, and have not been able to qualify for the tax credit, of the EV market.

I might hold off a few weeks before buying as I am not convinced there is not some pain to be had over the coming weeks, but if you are (or can be) long on TSLA, it's a fairly easy decision to buy anywhere around these levels.

Good luck all,

Eddie

FredBear86

Lil-Rokslider
Keep in mind with tesla. Elon has unloaded a bunch of shares to the market that wasn't there before. Will take a while for all those shares to be re-absorbed. Basically the float will trade thick for a while imo. Not saying tesla can't bounce or that it won't but if investing I'd say it will take a while before any significant upside imo. If trading, have at it🙂

Tesla — Shares of the electric-vehicle maker tumbled 9% on news that it will slow production at its Shanghai factory in January. The factory shut down at the end of December.

Hopefully, Tesla continues downward to a good entry level price.

Broomd

WKR
My best single swing trade of '22 was CGXEF, that's the Canada-based Guyana oil play--enjoyed about $17k in gains. That same company is currently moving a drill rig to facilitate another Guyana basin deep well--the Wei-1.
We're starting to see the exact same pattern as last year with that successful spud. I was in cheaper last year and had a bit more shares, but hopeful that this one will run too. Expecting solid returns.
You guys know that I"m not a pumper, no guarantees here--do your own DD(!)

Sold off about 8k in red OTC ink today for tax harvest. I did the same last year. Those OTC buys from late '20/'21 were a gut punch.
Overall, no complaints though--all house money at this point. Hopeful for that PR/CDEV sell this next Q1. Serious wealth and gains there for those of us that dove in to that and have held.

Last edited:

ORHunter

WKR
My best single swing trade of '22 was CGXEF, that's the Canada-based Guyana oil play--enjoyed about $17k in gains. That same company is currently moving a drill rig to facilitate another Guyana basin deep well--the Wei-1.
We're starting to see the exact same pattern as last year with that successful spud. I was in cheaper last year and had a bit more shares, but hopeful that this one will run too. Expecting solid returns.
You guys know that I"m not a pumper, no guarantees here--do your own DD(!)

Sold off about 8k in red OTC ink today for tax harvest. I did the same last year. Those OTC buys from late '20/'21 were a gut punch.
Overall, no complaints though--all house money at this point. Hopeful for that PR/CDEV sell this next Q1. Serious wealth and gains there for those of us that dove in to that and have held.
I moved a lot of my CDEV profit into CGXEF. Its been a long road but pretty optimistic right now! She moves fast.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ended up selling all my PR & RIG last week. Partly for tax purposes (combined with unloading some trash) & partly because I think it's gonna get ugly for at least the first half of '23. Hope I'm wrong but been reading lots of things that give me that vibe.

Anyone looking into any uranium plays, UUUU or URG?

I don't see an imminent uptickin Uranium consumption in the US. The NRC can't seem to figure out how to license the 5th gen SMRs, and the BWR/PWR fleet is rapidly approaching or exceeding their design lifetimes/operational permits. The cut off from Russian imports might help drive US demand a bit for fueling the existing nuke plants, but there is competition with the natural gas plants to pick up that portion of the base load. Emotions and really dumb policy decisions have pretty much cripled the US nuke industry, the sole exception is the navy's propulsion program. I don't consider it investable.

z987k

WKR
I don't see an imminent uptickin Uranium consumption in the US. The NRC can't seem to figure out how to license the 5th gen SMRs, and the BWR/PWR fleet is rapidly approaching or exceeding their design lifetimes/operational permits. The cut off from Russian imports might help drive US demand a bit for fueling the existing nuke plants, but there is competition with the natural gas plants to pick up that portion of the base load. Emotions and really dumb policy decisions have pretty much cripled the US nuke industry, the sole exception is the navy's propulsion program. I don't consider it investable.
I also don't think we're through the stockpile of weapons we decommissioned and used the uranium within to power plants. Once we're through that and if Russia is still closed to the world, then I'd expect price to come up.
Most of the BWR/PWR reactors can be maintained to run almost indefinitely and they're the most reliable source of electricity we have. And contribute less Co2 than renewables.

Most of the BWR/PWR reactors can be maintained to run almost indefinitely

This is fundamentally not true, reactor components, even the big ones, wear out over time due to neutron embrittlement, corrosion, and thermal cycles. The NRC operating licenses are for an initial 40 years, and can be extended in 20 year increments so long as the plant condition and updated safety analyses produce results that show an acceptable risk. When that threshold will be crossed varies from plant to plant, but it's not indefinite.

I also don't think we're through the stockpile of weapons we decommissioned and used the uranium within to power plants.
There is some ongoing effort and recent reinvestment to downblend the HEU stockpile to HALEU, but Centrus is a pseudo-government boondoggle that is years behind schedule on this. Plus HALEU and TRISO (what they want to downblend the HEU to) aren't approved for use yet by the NRC, and will mostly require either new reactor designs, or reanalyzing the existing reactors for their performance and safety with the HALEU/TRISO fuel loaded. The NRC's TRISO preliminary report came out last February, it shows only about half of the qualification concerns as being completely adressed. I'm unaware of any efforts to downblend the HEU to typical PWR/BWR enrichment levels for more immediate us.

Many of the decommed weapons were plutonium anyhow, so not suitable for typical fission reactor use.

Well I made the jump into TSLA @ $105 today. Hopefully, in the long term (3 yrs +) the stock will rebound. Fingers crossed that the Q4 Earnings announcement brings the price down lower so I can scoop up some more to average down.

After reading that Wyoming thread about the changes coming for the NRs draw/potential ‘24 tag allocation if this stock purchase leads to gains maybe I’ll buy a piece of hunting property in Wyoming.

Last edited:

southLA

WKR
Well I made the jump into TSLA @ $105 today. Hopefully, in the long term (3 yrs +) the stock will rebound. Fingers crossed that the Q4 Earnings announcement brings the price down lower so I can scoop up some more to average down.

After reading that Wyoming thread about the changes coming for the NRs draw/potential ‘24 tag allocation if this stock purchase leads to gains maybe I’ll buy a piece of hunting property in Wyoming.
I thought simply owning property didn’t make you a resident? Or am I missing something else regarding private land tags?

Oh since it’s the stock thread, keep an eye on ORGN.