The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

EastMT

WKR
In the last 2 downturns I’ve made really good money on Goodyear (GT). Heavy OEM supplier, as soon as car sales drop it dives. 2002-03, 2008-09 it dropped close to $3, then rebounded to $15-$20 in a year or 2.

If it gets close to $3 I’ll drop $10k, let it ride again. I’m still waiting. NYT has a great video of satellite images showing the empty spaces due to Coronavirus, as long as 2/3 of our economy (consumer spending) isn’t spreading around the economy can’t flourish

GotDraw?

WKR
When someone is posting on a public hunting forum about what stocks to buy on a pullback, I'd say might still be far too early to buy and there's likely still irrational exuberance in the market.

No offense meant to anyone. Just an observation after 30 years in the investment field.

JL

EastMT

WKR
When someone is posting on a public hunting forum about what stocks to buy on a pullback, I'd say might still be far too early to buy and there's likely still irrational exuberance in the market.

No offense meant to anyone. Just an observation after 30 years in the investment field.

JL

I agree, I’m not buying anything right now, I think there’s plenty of drop left. Too many empty public spaces, empty small business in hard hit areas. If that is widespread, it won’t be good. For the markets at all. Online retailers will probably do well if they don’t get slowed down by absent employees.

I do wish I had some in the TVIX last week though, but I don’t play with that one, way too risky for me. But fun to watch it! Up 300% in less than a month.

Beendare

WKR
A house is good...mortgage rates at an all time low....3.2% or thereabouts.

230 cases of the virus in the US......but total panic in the markets....I'm nibbling again today. I know I won't hit the exact bottom...

100,000 cases worldwide, 3,400 deaths....about 3.5%....not good but not the Bubonic Plague though it will have a long lasting affect on some sectors.

EDIT; I'm not nibbling today....I'm going to wait. There is some potential serious credit risk in the markets which will drive this lower than I initially thought.

It looks like some energy companies will have serious liquidity issues. OXY down 12% on the day- wow. Time to save some powder for later.

Last edited:
OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR

JL

Sounds like you're better than me at timing the market.

I sat on cash far to long IMO, during Obama and into Trumps take over. "about 10.000 Dow points" I personally don't believe in market timing after missing them all over the past 35 years of trying. The best I could do is buy when it felt right and sell when I had to.

If you're able to time the market then PLEASE let us know and start a thread on when to buy and when to sell.
Thank you

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
I only touch individual stocks that I know very well (aka my company and a small handful of others), everything else goes into index funds. I’d advise anyone who doesn’t actually know what they are looking for to stick with a low cost S&P fund. If you can afford to not touch that money for a while it’s a great buying opportunity.

RafterR

FNG
For those that have been investing in stocks etc for awhile, can anyone recommend some places for me to do some research on this, never having invested before? Things to look into, things to stay away from for a newbie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
For those that have been investing in stocks etc for awhile, can anyone recommend some places for me to do some research on this, never having invested before? Things to look into, things to stay away from for a newbie?

Man the smartest thing you can do is find an investment brokerage that’s trustworthy. Find some index funds and mutual funds, start buying every check (after any matches in your 401k) and buy until you retire. Never move it, look once a year and forget about it. You’ll retire well off, likely a millionaire if you are young enough.

Single stocks are always a gamble, I have an investment app I buy n sell with but it’s not my retirement or wealth building tool, it’s just a little play money.

The market is driven by so many AI funds that a purchase is just your best guess on single stocks, and it’s usually wrong.

EastMT

WKR
Man the smartest thing you can do is find an investment brokerage that’s trustworthy. Find some index funds and mutual funds, start buying every check (after any matches in your 401k) and buy until you retire. Never move it, look once a year and forget about it. You’ll retire well off, likely a millionaire if you are young enough.

Single stocks are always a gamble, I have an investment app I buy n sell with but it’s not my retirement or wealth building tool, it’s just a little play money.

The market is driven by so many AI funds that a purchase is just your best guess on single stocks, and it’s usually wrong.

Edit: Roth IRA in index/mutual funds is great also, especially if you want to retire early, can start drawing at 59.5, leave the 401k alone awhile.

RafterR

FNG
I will definitely do some looking into this. Being self employed I know I’m late to the game, but I need to be working on a better retirement plan sooner than later.

AkandHi

FNG
I’m new to this forum need 6 more post.... so with all do respect I don’t have a lot of cents but for what I got I’ll share it. If you have debt don’t invest. Don’t invest in single stocks unless you have money just laying around. Pay off all debt and invest in mutual funds iras and if you have one a 401k. Renter pay rent and mortgages don’t make money Unless you are lending. Pay cash and invest in more TAGS cause we are hunters.