The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

Okhotnik

WKR
So here’s what I did when I started following these guys. I set aside $200, to be split in 10 test purchases from these guys. I spent as close to $20 on each as I could and followed percentages not how much I was increasing my portfolio. I didn’t risk much to test out the waters, and good practice to walk away when needed. I missed 3 buys tonight that were 30% gains because they moved before I could set a buy limit. It gets easier the more you pass on by.

Right now I have 10 separate larger amounts for my penny fund, but still is not a large percentage on my portfolio. It’s nice to add to the gains and have a bit of hands on fun instead of staring at numbers every month or 2.

Forgot to ask but are you using any trading software ? Ive been considering this.

EastMT

WKR
No, because I’m a dinosaur and don’t have internet or a computer Hahahaha. I just use a few of the screeners on Webull, Finviz

AKSilent1

FNG
Just wondering who's taking advantage of this little dip in the market to buy some stocks on sale?

I like cruise lines. Carnivals always a good company and the Oil companies are getting hit.
Great topic! I spent 5 years as a Stock Broker working for one of the large firms. I learned a great deal from being an Apprentice to a team where the average age was 73. They were moving stocks long before the age of the computer. I would often come into the office all emotional about whatever the latest news cycle was and today's dip or surge in the market. They always told me the same thing. "This too shall pass". This I know to be true: You cannot time the market.

I now teach Business and Economics at a college level. They do not teach this in the textbooks but I believe that we cannot predict the market because the market is about human behavior. Human behavior is impossible to reliably predict with economic models.

All of that is to say that buy and hold is the only strategy that consistently produces results. What you buy and how long you hold is a matter of your risk tolerance, your goals, and your financial situation. If you cannot afford to lose it then never invest it. By the time a news story hits, it is too late to invest based on that information.

Pay off all debt. That is your best shot at having a stable financial future. Investing is of no value if you are making 6% in your mutual fund but your credit card is hitting you for 15%. Once you are debt free then it is time for a cash emergency fund of 90 days living expenses then real estate is a smart first choice, as in a primary home, not for speculation.

After those things are out of the way then long term mutual funds are smart. American Funds Growth and Income was a huge seller for me when I worked on Wall Street. Gold, not paper gold, the real thing, is good for a hedge against inflation. Quality firearms seem to hold value nicely.

It is too early for us to see the complete set of consequences from an economic shut down where 40 million people are out of work. These economic situations are unprecedented. We have no models for this. The experts I follow predict a brief rise into the next election then a sharp decline. Personally, I am keeping my assets in cash in anticipation of buying opportunities.

I hope that helps.

CorbLand

WKR
At the close today, I’m up 71% overall since I started back in April. I realize this is an easy market to make money in and I’m just a newb, but I’m pretty pumped about it.

I appreciate all the help from you guys. Honorable mention to Coop and Broomd.
Started the same time as you and made about 35 percent. Got out of some stuff to early and lost out on a bunch of profits.
Broomd, Coop and Okhotnik have been extremely helpful. I hope this thread can continue for years and one day I can contribute value to it, not just ask questions.

Johnboy

WKR
Here’s an example of my trades in the last 2 hours after work with these guys

TNXP +2.10%
RTW +4.59%
YVR +2.20%
COHN +2.41% (multi day swing planned)
SNSS +9.32%
IZEA +111%.

That’s in 2 hours. Unreal today.

Coop, how do you decide on an exit strategy? Do you watch candles like a hawk? Trailing stops? What's the process? Thanks for sharing your insights!

Broomd

WKR
At the close today, I’m up 71% overall since I started back in April. I realize this is an easy market to make money in and I’m just a newb, but I’m pretty pumped about it.

Guys, thanks for the kind words, but I'm a noob too! I'm no sage!
I made my first sell trade in 20 years on March 30th. In full disclosure I traded a few stocks in 2000 (Cisco, Inktomi, etc) and lost my ass and moved on shortly thereafter. Closed my acct. I taught school and couldn't do it with any commitment.
I work from home with my wife nowadays with our home-based nutrition business and our ranch, and I decided to give stocks a try again with what looked like a prime covid opportunity.
It's been sheer persistence, tons of reading, PATIENCE, lots of luck, and real caution for me since March.
As of right now I'm up $75,000. CDEV's a chunk of that.

fullsizeoutput_f58.jpeg

EastMT

WKR
Great topic! I spent 5 years as a Stock Broker working for one of the large firms. I learned a great deal from being an Apprentice to a team where the average age was 73. They were moving stocks long before the age of the computer. I would often come into the office all emotional about whatever the latest news cycle was and today's dip or surge in the market. They always told me the same thing. "This too shall pass". This I know to be true: You cannot time the market.

I now teach Business and Economics at a college level. They do not teach this in the textbooks but I believe that we cannot predict the market because the market is about human behavior. Human behavior is impossible to reliably predict with economic models.

All of that is to say that buy and hold is the only strategy that consistently produces results. What you buy and how long you hold is a matter of your risk tolerance, your goals, and your financial situation. If you cannot afford to lose it then never invest it. By the time a news story hits, it is too late to invest based on that information.

Pay off all debt. That is your best shot at having a stable financial future. Investing is of no value if you are making 6% in your mutual fund but your credit card is hitting you for 15%. Once you are debt free then it is time for a cash emergency fund of 90 days living expenses then real estate is a smart first choice, as in a primary home, not for speculation.

After those things are out of the way then long term mutual funds are smart. American Funds Growth and Income was a huge seller for me when I worked on Wall Street. Gold, not paper gold, the real thing, is good for a hedge against inflation. Quality firearms seem to hold value nicely.

It is too early for us to see the complete set of consequences from an economic shut down where 40 million people are out of work. These economic situations are unprecedented. We have no models for this. The experts I follow predict a brief rise into the next election then a sharp decline. Personally, I am keeping my assets in cash in anticipation of buying opportunities.

I hope that helps.

Yup, you’re right. And it’s a whole lot cheaper to buy beef than hunt, this Copenhagens gonna kill me, and if it doesn’t a motorcycle will. I’m in!

All joking aside 401k, Roth, fully funded, debt free but the cheap house. I wouldn’t do this as a means to accumulate serious wealth. This is fun money, I could buy a decent car with my fun account but not looking to retire, just win and lose a few bucks.

EastMT

WKR
Coop, how do you decide on an exit strategy? Do you watch candles like a hawk? Trailing stops? What's the process? Thanks for sharing your insights!

Well I’m pretty conservative. When they get above 10% on a day trade or overnight trade, I start looking for the door.

I’m trying to learn to have bit more patience, but that’s my current project after missing out on the $10,000 after selling a day or 2 before the rip.

I’m getting good at passing up at wrong price entry, now for some patience

EastMT

WKR
I’m still mad about not getting in SPCB at 9am, I had that planned all weekend, went over his last pump, mapped it out, the scalp was perfect, price was off by just a hair. 20 min for a 25% flip. Argh. Well, maybe the lion will pump another one next weekend, I’ll be ready!

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider

I’ll double that. Sold today at 152% return since March on oil penny stocks thanks to these guys! Appreciate it! Paid for my elk tags today lol

Anyone have any more long term holds they like? Seems like after this big run up the last few weeks they are a lot harder to find. I’ll contribute a few I’ve done pretty well on:
BUD
LYB
SYF
JPM- sold on Friday as its above what it was at in October. Seems to be at about what it’s worth now.

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider

I hope that helps.
Who let Dave Ramsey in here? Just kidding! Some solid advice there.

Jumped on some GTE after lunch. Thought it would make a run late day. After hours jumped back up. Not sure how long of a hold on this one. Curious to see what oil does the rest of the week after the past two days of trading shooting the moon.