The need for snow chains in Idaho

I've had to put chains on in mid to late September some years. I never go hunting without them. Where we were hunting it dropped a few inches on us this last Saturday.

All great info, thanks. I was up there on the 19 and it snowed lightly. The rain turns it to mud city real quick.

Yep, OP isn’t putting chains on the front of his dodge. I have one and it kills me I can’t put chains on the front.
I have yet to check the manual; what is the reason for no chains on the front?

Airing down will put twice as much rubber on the snow too. I carry chains but if the snows deep airing down can keep you from sinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All great info, thanks. I was up there on the 19 and it snowed lightly. The rain turns it to mud city real quick.

I have yet to check the manual; what is the reason for no chains on the front?

Upper control arm sits super close to the inside of the front tire so as a set of chains will rub and destroy it. It specifically states in the manual not to install chains on the front. Chrysler engineers obviously are not outdoorsmen.

Any suggestions for guys flying in and renting a truck once we get to ID? I understand some parts got hit pretty good with snow in the past week.

Upper control arm sits super close to the inside of the front tire so as a set of chains will rub and destroy it. It specifically states in the manual not to install chains on the front. Chrysler engineers obviously are not outdoorsmen.
Copy that, thanks.

Is the no chains on the front just a dodge thing? Anyone have clearance issues with others? My rig is 2019 GMC 2500 3” suspension lift and 35” tires. I’m not ready to destroy my truck yet😁😁

ce0f522644c8249104e1f7e13fb2935a.jpg

Drove my Subaru crosstrek (without chains) the only time I hunted 76

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the no chains on the front just a dodge thing? Anyone have clearance issues with others? My rig is 2019 GMC 2500 3” suspension lift and 35” tires. I’m not ready to destroy my truck yet
Might be tight with the 35s, you'll know real quick when you turn. You could always put them on the rear though and get around just fine. I think alot of people assume chains are only effective on the front since they're your steering tires, but the back can often times be alot better. Especially going down hill, they're like an anchor that keeps your truck straight on the road so your ass end doesnt slide out and get you sideways.

Two of my buddies got to our usual elk camp today and said there's 8 inches on the road already. So sounds like I'll be chaining up tomorrow. Fall is here!

Back