The need for snow chains in Idaho

Rob5589

WKR
I am taking my dtr for rifle deer 10/10-20 in 76. Driving from CA, I am assuming I should get a set?? I have never used them as I don't spend much time in the snow, even here at home. I have a Ram 1/2t 4x4 with snow rated tires. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks

Mosby

WKR
I just put chains that I had for my old truck, on my new truck yesterday to ensure that they fit. IMO chains are a must have on any hunting trip where snow and/or heavy mud is a possibility.
Some states can require them for travel.

You don't want to be stuck with your daughter in the truck.

Check the clearance requirements for your truck. Mine were made by the Security Chain Co. and are heavy duty cables. Get two sets for all four tires.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. Have them and know how to put them on. I recommend RUD Grip 4x4 chains. Saved me once from getting stranded.

Jwhitney

FNG
I don't know the idaho GMUS that good but I have had 8in of snow on a 3rd week of September elk hunt.

Randle

WKR
We just got 7 " in north idaho over the weekend at 2400 ft elevation. you just never know when it will hit. I would say get, practice putting them on to make sure they fit, and hope to never need them . As stated get 2 sets. some places you can return them If you don't use them. If you only get 1 set and get stuck chain the front.

Wrench

WKR
I had to chain up Saturday to get off the mountain. Drifts were enough to make the trail off camber and sliding off would have been certain death.

tttoadman

WKR
I never leave home without them from sept to april. Idaho is big with big passes. It doesn't matter where your destination is. You need to plan on some big passes to get there and more important "out". I always have my rigging box with some straps chains and 1 1/2T puller. It is great for mishaps that happen.

You may not get enough snow to strand you in 76, but the next day when that stuff melts the mud will swallow your whole rig. Sticky, nasty, slick stuff. Take chains, good chance you'll need them. I used chains yesterday in central Idaho to get back to the highway.

No matter what you have to cross the Sierras or the Siskiyous just to come and go. And the weather can be quite nasty in place’s you may not expect while traveling to or thru Idaho. I have a set of chains in my vehicle year round just for that reason. I have never had to put them on even in some nasty conditions due to good tires, slow driving, and luck. However, just practice putting them on and stow them just in case.

And if possible bring an extra spare tire. Had a buddy get two flats at once few years back in Oregon that took up a lot of time to fix and get back in action.

And remember..the difference between and ordeal and an adventure is perspective. Enjoy the adventure.

KClark

WKR
Pro tip: After installing stop a 1/2 mile later and tighten them. After that stop 3 miles later and tighten again, then check them at every stop. If they come loose, fall to the inside and take out your brake lines you'll learn the definition of FUBAR.

Use at least one large (21" or so) rubber tarp strap per tire besides the one that comes with the chain set. Get ones long enough to cross 3 times and bend the hook closed a bit more.

Tarp strap for tire chains

rcmp has an excellent video on installing tire chains.
bungee the shit out of them. the more bungees the better.
as some one has stated, already snowed here in Idaho.

No way I'm going into the mountains from September onward without chains in my truck. They take up practically no room and sometimes storms come out of nowhere.