The joys of getting older

rclouse79

WKR
I am in my mid forties and am fortunate to not have any net hair loss. It is however migrating from the top of my head to my ears and down my back. I just made the joyous discovery this morning that my eyebrows are attempting to connect with my sideburns. It is merciful that these types of things did not happen when I was younger and cared what people thought of me.

JasonWi

WKR
I totally understand!! In my later forties and the hair on sides and back of my head is more grey than my original color, chest hair is matching my head and eyebrows and ears need constant attention otherwise I’ll look like a hedgehog in a matter of days!

Dad always says “getting old ain’t for sissies!”

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
It’s amazing to find a new hair in a strange place several times a year. My favorite is thinking your well groomed only to find an inch long hair on the top of your ear or somewhere else. Then say to yourself, “how long has this been going on and how come nobody ever pointed that out”???!!!
SOB’s…

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Eyebrows are the worst. I'll be trying to swat away flies or rub away whatever I keep seeing out of the corner of my eye, and it's a dang 1" long eyebrow. I'll tell you, I get my hair cut every 6-8 weeks, and the eyebrows grow as fast as the regular hair so they have to get trimmed every time too. The ears and nose are an every few days kind of grooming activity. Wish there was an easy way to wax the ears.

Eyebrows are the worst. I'll be trying to swat away flies or rub away whatever I keep seeing out of the corner of my eye, and it's a dang 1" long eyebrow. I'll tell you, I get my hair cut every 6-8 weeks, and the eyebrows grow as fast as the regular hair so they have to get trimmed every time too. The ears and nose are an every few days kind of grooming activity. Wish there was an easy way to wax the ears.

I have thought about waxing of the ears, but doesn't it only take very little pressure in the right direction to pull one off?

Or is that just some old legend I remember from my childhood and action movies?

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
I have thought about waxing of the ears, but doesn't it only take very little pressure in the right direction to pull one off?

Or is that just some old legend I remember from my childhood and action movies?
I am going to take a risk here and admit to doing it. It was necessary for my profession. I have found that high school age kids can not focus on what you are trying to teach them when it looks like you have a troll doll living inside your ears.
I will take another risk and say that the first time I waxed my ears was the last time I cried. Son of a biscuit that hurts!

packer58

WKR
Welcome to maturity, at 65 iv'e got all the classic symptoms of getting older with the weird rapid hair growth in places it never grew when i was younger. Also thinning skin, doesn't take a whole lot to bruise or make yourself bleed. I pull my nose hair with a small leatherman type tool made by Gerber, lasts about a month and time to do it again.

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
Net hair loss hasn’t bothered me at all like I thought it would in my 30’s other than a little colder in the winter. It’s great. Don’t have to comb or take long to wash.

Short clipped or shaved bald didn’t seem as much in style in the 70’s and 80’s when I was growing up though- combovers.I wish I would’ve started using the #1 clipper years ago. Nose and ear hairs get the Braun mini-attachment. But I don’t understand a guy wanting to do that being as smooth as a girl manscaping business advertised on TV at all.

Last edited:
Old age is somewhat like the growth of trees. The tops get thinner the middle gets thicker.

As I get older everything on top gets thinner and finer while everything from the forehead and lower gets thicker and expands to new horizons. A friend told me that as we get older and slower the body just compensates with thicker hair to keep the bugs out.

Many of you in northern climes just need to go through hunting season after chemo, bald and chiiled. Hair anywhere is a blessing.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I've lost my near vision so I've asked my wife to please tell me when I start resembling a briar patch.
And, like GSP said, hair is the least of your worries. It wont stop you from doing stuff.
But the muscle and joint pain, thats a different story.

Old age is somewhat like the growth of trees. The tops get thinner the middle gets thicker.

As I get older everything on top gets thinner and finer while everything from the forehead and lower gets thicker and expands to new horizons. A friend told me that as we get older and slower the body just compensates with thicker hair to keep the bugs out.

Many of you in northern climes just need to go through hunting season after chemo, bald and chiiled. Hair anywhere is a blessing.
I've had cancer twice and gone through several hunting seasons sans hair not my idea of a badge of honor. Random rapid growing hair in all the wrong places is a fun way to embarrass my teenage highschool children though. Completely pg of course. Btw yes I do have a full head of hair now as well with more grey than brown and all the carpet matches the drapes (and the curtains and hand towels).

Wrench

WKR
In the last two years my life seems to be entering the out to pasture phase.

Not 10 years ago I worked in -20*f wearing a sweatshirt. Today my wife called me a puzzy because I had the heat cranked up so high. I haven't been warm in over a year. My thyroid is out of wack and really trying to ruin my life.....and those eyebrows are the only thing thriving.