The Hunting In Europe Thread

Northern Safari

Lil-Rokslider
I did a bit of digging and didn't come across many European hunting threads, especially in recent years. In terms of international hunting destinations I feel like many of us overlook Europe in favour of Africa and Asia.

I'm hoping we can use this thread to provide a comprehensive overview of the various game and hunts available across Europe.

Until recently I had no idea that Spain was such a hunting destination, I'm hoping to discover other examples that provide this same level of hunting diversity.

So to get us started, which areas stand out the most in terms of hunting in Europe? Is it the specific game, the terrain, the culture that makes it so appealing?

What countries have you hunted? Any that you wouldn't recommend? Any issues with obtaining hunting permits or exporting trophies back home?

Which are the most affordable countries to hunt, which are the least affordable?

I'm particularly interested in the game species that aren't native to North America i.e. Mouflon, Ibex, Chamois, Red Stag Eurasian Boar etc.

OP
N

Northern Safari

Lil-Rokslider
I'll start with listing the common big game species in Europe and where they are found, not all are huntable in every country listed.

Bovine
  • European Bison (Poland, Slovakia, Sweden)
Bears
  • Eurasian Brown Bear (Slovakia, Croatia, Romania, Sweden, Norway, Finland)
Sheep/OVIS
  • Central European Mouflon (Austria, Croatia, Czech Republic, France, Hungary, Macedonia, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden)
  • Iberian Mouflon (France)
  • Corsican Mouflon (France)
  • Barbary Sheep (France, Macedonia)
  • Dalmatian Wild Sheep (Croatia)
Chamois
  • Pyrenean Chamois (France)
  • Chartreuse Chamois (France)
  • Canatabrian Chamois (Spain)
  • Alpine Chamois (Austria, Czech Republic, France, Slovenia)
  • Balkan Chamois (Bulgaria, Croatia, Macedonia)
  • Carpathian Chamois (Romania)
Ibex
  • Alpine Ibex (Austria, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland)
  • Gredos Ibex (Spain)
  • Beceite Ibex (Spain)
  • Ronda Ibex (Spain)
  • South Eastern Ibex (Spain)
  • Kri-Kri Ibex (Macedonia)
  • Hybrid Ibex (Croatia)
Pigs
  • Eurasian Boar (Across Europe)
Deer
  • Roe Deer (Across Europe)
  • Fallow Deer (Across Europe)
  • Red Deer (Across Europe)
  • Moose (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Latvia, Estonia, Poland, Czech Republic, Belarus, Ukraine)

Suera

FNG
I'll start with listing the common big game species in Europe and where they are found, not all are huntable in every country listed.

Bovine
  • European Bison (Poland, Slovakia, Sweden)
Bears
  • Eurasian Brown Bear (Slovakia, Croatia, Romania, Sweden, Norway, Finland)
Sheep/OVIS
  • Central European Mouflon (Austria, Croatia, Czech Republic, France, Hungary, Macedonia, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden)
  • Iberian Mouflon (France)
  • Corsican Mouflon (France)
  • Barbary Sheep (France, Macedonia)
  • Dalmatian Wild Sheep (Croatia)
Chamois
  • Pyrenean Chamois (France)
  • Chartreuse Chamois (France)
  • Canatabrian Chamois (Spain)
  • Alpine Chamois (Austria, Czech Republic, France, Slovenia)
  • Balkan Chamois (Bulgaria, Croatia, Macedonia)
  • Carpathian Chamois (Romania)
Ibex
  • Alpine Ibex (Austria, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland)
  • Gredos Ibex (Spain)
  • Beceite Ibex (Spain)
  • Ronda Ibex (Spain)
  • South Eastern Ibex (Spain)
  • Kri-Kri Ibex (Macedonia)
  • Hybrid Ibex (Croatia)
Pigs
  • Eurasian Boar (Across Europe)
Deer
  • Roe Deer (Across Europe)
  • Fallow Deer (Across Europe)
  • Red Deer (Across Europe)
  • Moose (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Latvia, Estonia, Poland, Czech Republic, Belarus, Ukraine)
You have mouflon in free range or fence in Spain and also Barbary sheep free range. Barbary sheep in France or Macedonia are only in fence areas, moose and bison also in Belarus although is not Europe but the hunt there is amazing. Pyrinean chamois is also in Spain.
You can add Balearian boc ( like a feral goat) that is also in Spain.

OP
N

Northern Safari

Lil-Rokslider
You have mouflon in free range or fence in Spain and also Barbary sheep free range. Barbary sheep in France or Macedonia are only in fence areas, moose and bison also in Belarus although is not Europe but the hunt there is amazing. Pyrinean chamois is also in Spain.
You can add Balearian boc ( like a feral goat) that is also in Spain.
Thanks for those additions.

As this forum's expert on hunting in Spain, what other countries are comparable in terms of game variety and overall adventure?

Mojave

WKR
Few more:

Predators:
Grey Wolf
fox
racoon
racoon dog
pine martin
stone Martin
golden jackal these are spreading they are now on license in Austria. Saw them in Hungary.

More deer free range
Japanese Sika UK, Czech, Germany
Dybowski Sika UK and Czech
muntjac UK
Chinese water deer UK
Whitetail deer Finland

Alpine Chamois are on license in Germany

Game ranch animals
Tahr Bulgaria and Croatia
Alpine ibex Bulgaria and Croatia
Here David Deer UK
Sambar UK
Axis Deer UK

I have lived and hunted in Italy, Spain, Germany, Hungary, Austria, and will hunt Slovenia and Czech before the year is through.

There is no country that rivals Spain for the number of species. 4 ibex, 2 chamois, 2 sheep, 3 deer, wild boar, wolf and lynx.

The UK has 6 free ranging deer, but that is the end of it.

Eastern Europe is a good adventure, especially for anyone that grew up in the 1970's and 1980's when they were part of Russia.

Most European countries have the same things.

Red, fallow, roe, wild boar, mouflon.

Some add in chamois, very few have ibex.

A few have bears and or moose.

Suera

FNG
Thanks for those additions.

As this forum's expert on hunting in Spain, what other countries are comparable in terms of game variety and overall adventure?
In Europe without doubt Spain has the most diversity in hunting, after this will be France. Each country has his beauty, alpine ibex are wonderful and maybe are the top ibex in Europe but expensive, the different chamois I love all of them difficult choose one but if I have to choose it will be Pyrinean chamois, Alpine chamois maybe in Slovenia and Carpathian chamois in Romania for his difficulty . I never tired to say but if you like the ibex and want make the slams go for them but if you really want a good and nice adventure choose one of the chamois and you never will be disappointed.This talking about mountain hunting, talking about forest hunting then I will choose Belarus although is out of Europe and now is not the best moment for go, Czech republic or Romania will be my next options due to good price and amazing forests, although I like also Poland 😆
Austria is also very interesting for their traditions and culture , expensive country but very nice and I love the way they respect the hunting.

OP
N

Northern Safari

Lil-Rokslider
In Europe without doubt Spain has the most diversity in hunting, after this will be France. Each country has his beauty, alpine ibex are wonderful and maybe are the top ibex in Europe but expensive, the different chamois I love all of them difficult choose one but if I have to choose it will be Pyrinean chamois, Alpine chamois maybe in Slovenia and Carpathian chamois in Romania for his difficulty . I never tired to say but if you like the ibex and want make the slams go for them but if you really want a good and nice adventure choose one of the chamois and you never will be disappointed.This talking about mountain hunting, talking about forest hunting then I will choose Belarus although is out of Europe and now is not the best moment for go, Czech republic or Romania will be my next options due to good price and amazing forests, although I like also Poland 😆
Austria is also very interesting for their traditions and culture , expensive country but very nice and I love the way they respect the hunting.
What is the appeal of France? The multiple chamois?

I’m picturing 3 separate trips to Europe. Western, Central and Eastern hunts.

What would you say would be the top 3?

I was thinking Spain - Austria - Romania.