The good old days

Sled

WKR
Why? Because factory ammo is cheaper and more accurate?

I'm not who you responded to but I'll add that i'm in a similar position. I have enough powder and components to get me through. I'll load when I need to and buy for now. There's good quality ammo available at reasonable (today's) prices. If I factor in my time, the ammo is the better deal. For someone shooting a common cartridge that has to seek out components, ammo is a great deal. If you want reloading quality ammo, you can pay for it and get it.

Weldor

WKR
Still have 1/2 brick marked $19.95 and powder $1.50 from the 50's.

Attachments

• powder.jpg
    powder.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1

Fmuguira

FNG
Weldor …. You and I have much in common. When I started loading in 1967 primers were between .79 and .99 per 100. Bullets were $2.50-3.50 a box (cup and core stuff) depending on caliber and a 20# keg of WWII military surplus 4831 was $20 or so. (Before the H and IMR variety split) A full case of powder with a 130 gr bullet in my 270 Win was around 60-61 grs of powder and was “Jacks Load” … my how times have changed. Yes, I m old 😩😂

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I have a couple of the old IMR cans with prices as low as $8.99 and some primers that were $11.99 (1000). This from the mid to late '80's. Reloading was really cheap back then. Of course, you could buy boxes of ammo for $7 too.

Weldor

WKR
We will never see those prices again, just paid $43 lb. for H380. Everything is pricey today, but still enjoy rolling my own.

Vern400

WKR
I need to do some shooting. I have some old CCI primers that have been properly stored, and I've had a few fail to fire. I was just using them with trail Boss powder for some subsonic loads so I really didn't care. It was just fun stuff.

I have a jug of Blue Dot I bought before lead shot was outlawed for waterfowl. I used to make some hellacious 1 7/8 ounce 3-in magnums for ducks. I started using it in my 20 gauge and it seems to be well above book velocity. I suspect the nitroglycerin and nitrocellulose are beginning to separate in the power flakes even though it's been stored under ideal conditions. It's old as dirt. I need to use it up during dove season or even on sporting clays before it turns sour.

It's kind of cool to have some old stuff, but for me the shiny just isn't there if the stuff doesn't work. I guess it's a good problem to have... Needing to blow a few pounds of powder.