The Ghetto Buck

Hesseltine32

Lil-Rokslider
A few weeks ago I killed my best whitetail to date. This was a urban spot that is less then a mile from the D.C. line and is in the legit hood. A spot I always worry about if my trucks going to be broken into or something when I hunt there.

This buck was not a home bodied deer to this area for the last two years I would get pics of him in late November and early December hitting a scrape during random times in the night. Assumed he was pushing his range looking for that last doe in heat.

This year though once I picked him up on the same scrape at the end of November I had noticed the deer had been pounding the white oaks near by which I thought was odd as they vacuum most up in September and are hitting the reds now. I hung a another camera over them and got pics of him there as well just after dark several times.

When we got a good cold front to push though the first weekend of December which brought highs in the lower 30s I made my move.

It was a action filled sit as I started seeing deer after being in the stand no longer then 10 minutes. After being there 30 minutes I had seen 3 young bucks, and 3 does and fawns and thinking to myself if it's going to happen it will be tonight everything is perfect. As the night went on the deer just kept piling in including a big 2 year old 6 that started to bump some of the does and push a smaller 8 around.

As I'm sitting here watching this 6 think he is all big and bad I see his posture completely change and see him tuck his tail and walk 10-15 yards and stop and look down the hill. As I'm looking down the hill to see what's going on I catch a glimpse of deer legs in the thick hollies. I then take a quick look a down at the commotion going on with the deer right in front of me and couldn't believe it he was standing there at 25 yards broadside. I had never heard or seen him come in as I was so occupied with the other deer.

I grab my bow and then try to unhook my safety harness as I could not shoot that direction with it on, as I was using the trunk of the tree for cover. As I struggled trying to unclip it with one had I finally get it and try to see if I can lean off to the side to get a shot. When I lean out the 6 pointer who was now standing under me picks me off and stops his foot and my heart sank as I thought it was all over, but to my surprise the buck didn't spook he was just standing alert. He stood there for 10 seconds or so put his head down to feed again and took two more steps into the opening. Once he did that I leaned of the tree and started to draw back. The 6 pointer busted and took off but it was to late for him as I had just settled the pin and let the arrow fly. As I watched the lighted knock burry right behind his front shoulder and him take off all hunched up I knew it was over.

I sat in the tree for another 30 minutes until it got dark before I climbed down to start tracking. After finding the arrows and following a great blood trail for roughly 70 yards I had got to put my hands on a 6.5 year old ghetto buck which happened to be my best to date.
3b4d030af70ea6e6ad7e31b9f767ded4.jpg
17431355360f811aed44412a06a24251.jpg

425273ec8d9f3a2323c93dbde793d316.jpg
8b48967265dab1a68af56948bb59a25c.jpg

JWP58

WKR
Pretty cool, as cool as it is to get way off the grid it would be fun to hunt just on the outskirts of town.

I see you're from Maryland, ever go after the small population of sitka blacktails?

OP
Hesseltine32

Hesseltine32

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty cool, as cool as it is to get way off the grid it would be fun to hunt just on the outskirts of town.

I see you're from Maryland, ever go after the small population of sitka blacktails?

They are the Japanese Sika deer. Yeah make a trip after them every year.
Last year I shot my first stag year. Not big by any means but they are a blast to hunt in the marsh.
97b41b7ba873c389dfde312da85edc89.jpg

Your browser is deprecated. Please upgrade.
- YouTube

Very cool! Congratulations on a great buck. Urban hunting can be rewarding and odd. Whole different dimension to worrying about where you park and going in in the dark. Then there's the crackheads and homeless guys.

We got bumped from our urban hot spot this year because of another guy. My buddy had stopped in and caught some action on his phone. We think we'll be good next year, but I'm missing those close opportunities right now.

Some NSFW language in the video, but enjoy.

Congrats again. Happy New Year.

I live in Southern Maryland, I have friends who work in DC tell me about the bucks they see on their way to work. They are great at adapting. I see more deer in my neighborhood than I do while sitting a stand.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk