Got the old one I was after

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
My nephew got tagged out the evening after I got my buck. I picked him up from school and we got geared up to hunt. We had does already out feeding when we went to sneak into my blind. By moving when they had their heads down and using what cover we could, avoiding the skyline, we got to the blind without spooking them. Shortly after a nice 8pt with a broken main beam came out and he was acting really dominant. Nobody got to eat where he wanted to be. He'd raise a front foot toward them and stretch his leg toward the other deer, then stomp it down. He'd bend his neck and lower his head and posture. After a while he left and 3 small bucks came out and played. Eventually 9 does came out and fed, then decided to head over the hill past our blind. They split the blind and walked by within 20ft on either side of it. One fawn stuck her head over the front bale, close enough I could have darn near touched her with my boot. Somehow none of them spooked, despite moving behind the blind and straight downwind. I have to believe my Ozonics I had sitting above us on the bale helps, had to many of those experiences to doubt it.

Finally a half hour before dark the 7 point buck we were after stepped out. Trey got steadied over the front short bale with my 264 win mag and took the shot. He only went 15 yards. We got him tagged, loaded, and hauled out. I got Trey a lot more involved this year in cutting the deer up, he is old enough to do a lot of it himself now.

Good hunt and a memorable one. I get more adrenaline going watching Trey take a buck through my binos than I do shooting a good one myself anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_5273.jpeg
    IMG_5273.jpeg
    475.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5265.jpeg
    IMG_5265.jpeg
    348.5 KB · Views: 58
OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
One of my bale blinds. I use a short bale for the front, I bale a few smaller for that each summer. I use full size bales for the sides. I leave a little gap to sneak in between 2 of them.

At rifle ranges of 150 yards plus I have found sitting still in the shadows to be enough to keep me from being spotted. I don’t need a top on the blind. I got tired of wind screwing up the fabric pop up blinds and their loud zippers. I also got tired of driving stakes in the rocks on our ridges. These work well for me and let me put them on the skyline to sneak in behind.

Attachments

• IMG_5246.jpeg
    IMG_5246.jpeg
    704.8 KB · Views: 43
Great buck man! It’s always a rewarding experience when you can pinpoint a buck out in the field that you had trail cam pictures of previously. Two weeks left of the season here in SC and im still after a big 9 that i got pictures of back in September!