The Evolution of Long Range Hunting - MOA Rifles

Hello all,

MOA Rifles is very excited to be apart of the Rokslide Forum family, and would like to extend a big thank you to them.

My name is Bob Beck, I am an avid outdoorsmen, hunter, and rifle shooting enthusiast. I host a TV show on Sportsman’s Channel called Extreme Outer Limits, and our niche is long range hunting/shooting. For the past 14 years of my life I have been heavily involved in the long range industry, and recently I have taken the liberty of developing my own rifle company, MOA Rifles. I have worked with McMillan firearms for quite some time, but wanted to branch out to create some more affordable long range rifles. Here’s a little info about MOA Rifles…

The Evolution™ series of MOA Rifles® is the first true, purpose-built, production series of long range hunting rifles to ever hit the market. MOA Rifles® did not start out with a tactical gun design only to be turned into long range hunting rifles. Our proprietary design was built with the initial purpose of long-range hunting and shooting. MOA Evolution™ line of MOA Rifles® are in stock and ready to purchase on the spot and ship same day, no long wait times here.

If you have any questions about MOA Rifles, or long range hunting/shooting in general please feel free to ask! Look forward to chatting with fellow outdoor enthusiast. I added some links below if you’d like to see what MOA Rifles is all about.

MOA Rifles Exclusive Nightforce MOA 1000 Scope
http://www.moarifles.com/scopes/

MOA Evolution Rifle Line
http://www.moarifles.com/rifle-lines/evolution/

MOA Evolution Extreme Line
http://www.moarifles.com/rifle-lines/evolution-extreme/

Buster

WKR
Catch your show on Wild TV sometimes. I'm guessing we'll be seeing the MOA's in action on your show soon?

shaun

WKR
Welcome to Rokslide. I have been looking hard at your rifles the past 3 weeks. Makes it harder now that you are involved here

Bob Beck

FNG
Deadwolf, we are striving to get more guys involved with our product lines at a more affordable price point. Our standard Evolution Rifle Line and the MOA 1000 scope are great examples in those efforts. We always have both eyes open over here, so thanks for the feedback!

deadwolf

WKR
Your rifles look top notch my friend, and I'd love to shoot one sometime, didn't mean to come across as I may have, but for a lot of people a $3500 rifle is out of their range. Hope I didn't offend!

Looks great glad to have you here! Quick question on your "polygon" barrel. Is that is reference to polygonal rifling or the barrel contour?

And I'm digging the 3.950" internal mag length on your actions! Will really help some guys running the big magnums with them long slick bullets :)

Mike

Bob Beck

FNG
Deadwolf, Heck no you did not offend! The cost is a reality in everything we do. I honestly know this and make efforts to try and minimize the cost everywhere we can. As long as we can still maintain the quality we want, hang our name on it and get the desired results we are looking for, we are all about it! So I very much understand exactly where your statement came from!

HellsCanyon, The term "Polygon" is a reference to the design of the rifling in the barrels. Another term that could be used for Polygon barrels is "Low Bearing Surface Compression Rifling" We have found that these types of barrels or even say 3 groove barrels work extremely well with the Berger bullets which have jackets that are designed thinner to expand at slower velocities. Lastly, Ya Buddy, those Evolution Extreme Rifles with that Action are extremely nice to work with. No more fussing around with length and feeding issues at all! Run your loads however you want them, it wont matter with that amount of working area!

HellsCanyon, The term "Polygon" is a reference to the design of the rifling in the barrels. Another term that could be used for Polygon barrels is "Low Bearing Surface Compression Rifling" We have found that these types of barrels or even say 3 groove barrels work extremely well with the Berger bullets which have jackets that are designed thinner to expand at slower velocities. Lastly, Ya Buddy, those Evolution Extreme Rifles with that Action are extremely nice to work with. No more fussing around with length and feeding issues at all! Run your loads however you want them, it wont matter with that amount of working area!

I'm familiar with the polygonal rifling where no lands or grooves exist but rather the rifling is shaped in a twist to spin the bullet. Such as the Black Hole barrels at this link:
http://www.blackholeweaponry.com

You're the first builder I've seen use this barrel type and that's awesome! What kind of accuracy are you getting with them? Any speed differences between them and conventional rifled barrels?

Mike

Bob Beck

FNG
Mike, you know there like any good barrel. With good load development to can drive them plenty fast and under 1/2 MOA no problem! It was the very consistent results at extended range that got us hooked on them!

Mike, you know there like any good barrel. With good load development to can drive them plenty fast and under 1/2 MOA no problem! It was the very consistent results at extended range that got us hooked on them!

Yep! I'm just curious on FPS cause I've noticed significant speed differences between a few barrel makers depending on caliber. Would really like to wrap one if them up in our composite wrap and see how they react.

Mike

Bob Beck

FNG
Mike, might be interesting to spin one down and give it a try! From the testing we did a few years back, the poly barrels were a touch faster from what we could tell. Not huge amounts, just faster, maybe 25-35 FPS. If you give it a try, let us know!

Good stuff Bob. We're using Bartlein cores right now and they are shooting/machining well, have used benchmark barrels and they shoot phenomenal but there's a few things I prefer on the Bartleins.

Mike