The do it all self-defense pistol

6.5PRC

FNG
Recently got an Sig Xten Comp 10mm. The size is between a G19 & G17 (almost same size of Sig p320 Carry). Recoil is more than 9mm but less snappy than a G23 40cal imo (using underwood 220g hard cast 1200fps). Crisp trigger.

Wolfshead

Lil-Rokslider
What 9mm ammo is everyone ruining for do-all self defense?
This may help with your question.

I run Federal 124 gr. HST in my Shield Plus. 9 mm. I also have a Swampfox Sentinal green dot sight, and mag extension to get my pinky some purchase at the base.
IMG_3442.jpegIMG_3216.jpeg

MtnHtr

FNG
Glock 20. You can never kill a home invader too dead. And 10mm is perfect for defense of any predator in the lower 48. 15+1 mag capacity helps if you’re not a great shot as well. My buddy and I hunt in griz country in Montana and both switched from wheel guns in .44 to 10mm for the extra round capacity, just in case. I find I am much more accurate with my G20 as well. He also brought his to AK for our caribou hunt and we were glad to have it along with our bear fence with the amount of griz we had around camp at all times.
Going the same route. Grizz country in east Idaho.

Timjohnson11

Lil-Rokslider
My answer to the original question would be either the M&P 5.7 (5.7x28mm) or the CZ Shadow 2 Compact (9mm) depending on your caliber preferences. Both can be true "1 gun solutions" and offer unique blends of functionality, shootability, and versatility (e.g., can be used for carry, home defense, and competition). The M&P 5.7 also offering the fourth element of affordability..

I recently traded in my FN 510 (10mm) for the new M&P 5.7 (5.7x28mm) as my griz gun. As much as I shot that FN 510, I just struggled to shot it accurately, especially after that first initial shot. I've looked into the 5.7x28mm round a couple times over the years but always came away unconvinced given terribly expensive ammonition prices and very poor bullet options from factory ammo. That changed however when Hornady jumped on board late last year with the Critical Defense line in 5.7x28mm. Concurrently, practice ammo prices have dive bombed and you can regularily find FN branded practice ammo with the 40gr V-Max in the $0.40 range.

I absolutely love this gun! 22+1 capacity, extremely shooter friendly ergonomics, and with the new Tempo (gas) operating system Smith & Wesson designed on this gun, it has literally zero recoil! It's hard to believe it when you shot this gun.. I'd dare say the recoil is less than my FN 522 (full size 22 pistol) despite it being a lighter gun pushing a much higher horsepower cartridge. I'm pushing 40 gr critical defense loads from Hornady at nearly 1875 fps per my garmin xero. I've never felt more capable with a handgun in my hands in my life.. It's stupid accurate, extremely fast (gas operating system basically eleminates all muzzle rise), plenty capable from a destruction standpoint assuming the correct bullet selection, light and slim for carry if wanted, and well priced. I still have a couple 9mm guns including my beloved CZ 75; however, if push came to shove and I could only have one, I think I'd grab my M&P 5.7.

The one 9mm I would consider as a "1 gun solution" over my M&P 5.7 would be a CZ Shadow 2 Compact. I was shocked at how fast/accurate it was for a 9mm compact, but at $1200 or more, it's just not worth it for me at this point..

Last edited:
Stock Glock 19. Shoot it enough until you can perform some standards with a holster from various trainers. Then you will know what really makes a difference for how shootable a different gun is and can get into all the triggers, grip angle, red dots, etc.

Bobaloo

FNG
Glocks,glocks,glocks, I have 4 different glocks but I don't see what is so special about them. I have other pistols I like much better and fit me better. I bought into the cool-aid too and now into them to deep to get out.

Light weight is their strong point. I do not own one because of the grip angle. Prefer cz-p10c,