The Best Years of My Life

I retired 3 years and 2 months ago and will be 62 next month. Im enjoying it to the fullest and I hunt just about every day of the season, whether its small game or big game. Last year I tried salmon and steelhead fishing in New York on the Pulaski river. I used to fish trout streams when I was younger so I need to get back to that again too. I bought a new 36' motorhome when I retired so I enjoy a bit of travel here and there. I resumed dirt bike riding 2 years ago and in December bought a well trained (im too old to be wrestling with a horse) 6 year old Tennessee Walker horse to get back into riding again. I grew up on a horse farm but havent been on a horse in about 40 years so began taking riding lessons in January...so Im a much better rider now and will do the lessons for the rest of this year. Its so nice having the time and money to do whatever you want and engaging in enough different hobbies so as not to get bored...which seems to be a problem with some retirees that persuades them to go back to work. I will never be bored to that point. I worked my ass off for over 40 years and saved/invested to get to this point. Remember this.......tomorrow is promised to nobody.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have lived my entire life on full throttle giving everything I do 100%. So while I beat my body to a pulp with multiple sports and other activities, I have lived a very full life that has lacked nothing. I knew early on that at some point I'd be too old and too beat up to truly do the things I love to do (the way I want to do them). But I was OK with that, because I had a lifetime of enjoying those activities. IMO I'm on borrowed time at this point even at 57, but thankfully can still fully function for the most part. My elk hunting style isn't what it was even 7 years ago, but I can still push through most the pain and do what I can do.

A day of reckoning is coming soon.......and that 4-level fusion on my neck that I've been putting off for some time will need to be done. I have an MRI scheduled for my lower back in Oct "after" my archery elk season......and my lower back feels worse than my neck. My knees have been screaming at me for some time now because of the bone on bone pain, especially while hunting. If this year is my last elk hunt, I'm OK with that because I've had dozens already where I gave it my all. But I would imagine that I'll still be up for an elk hunt even into my 70's if I'm allowed to live that long. But my 60+ years may look quite a bit different than they do now, and may involve a boat and a fishing pole many days through the year.

bcnorth

FNG
i hope to hunt late into 70's like my dad did, he would work out all year in preparation for sheep, goat and moose hunts. Our last big hunts after sheep were breaking me in my early 30's and i was in great shape, we would hike 115km + on our hunts with heavy packs that would seem ludicrous these days. I dont know how he did it with what gear he had. he was stubborn and would not spend the $$ on a good pack or gear but he came out with a couple nice rams.

His last goat hunt was 78, he is now 82 and still mentally prepares for the big hunts and works out even though he knows deep down he cant do it anymore. He actually probably could but for a few nagging injuries that caught up to him.

I retired 3 years and 2 months ago and will be 62 next month. Im enjoying it to the fullest and I hunt just about every day of the season, whether its small game or big game. Last year I tried salmon and steelhead fishing in New York on the Pulaski river. I used to fish trout streams when I was younger so I need to get back to that again too. I bought a new 36' motorhome when I retired so I enjoy a bit of travel here and there. I resumed dirt bike riding 2 years ago and in December bought a well trained (im too old to be wrestling with a horse) 6 year old Tennessee Walker horse to get back into riding again. I grew up on a horse farm but havent been on a horse in about 40 years so began taking riding lessons in January...so Im a much better rider now and will do the lessons for the rest of this year. Its so nice having the time and money to do whatever you want and engaging in enough different hobbies so as not to get bored...which seems to be a problem with some retirees that persuades them to go back to work. I will never be bored to that point. I worked my ass off for over 40 years and saved/invested to get to this point. Remember this.......tomorrow is promised to nobody.
I love that attitude. I have no idea how some people get so bored they go back to work. I think some people just enjoy working more than they do their hobbies. That tells me they need better hobbies. LOL

Pulled the pin at 60 1/2 years old, going on 66 worked since I was 7 years old helping grand parents farm, and what ever needed done at home (dad was a over the road trucker) 17 years old went in the Marine Corps done 8 years (some wear there) welded 3 years, worked frieght docks for about 8 years cost me a bum left shoulder (three operations) 26 years law enforcement and that was it, going to work one morning and told the boss (wife) I had enough today I retire. Never looked back I hunt, fish, shoot do what ever whenever I want, dont have to kiss anyones ass for time off, we live a good life and am very comfortable. Best decision I ever made.

Pulled the pin at 60 1/2 years old, going on 66 worked since I was 7 years old helping grand parents farm, and what ever needed done at home (dad was a over the road trucker) 17 years old went in the Marine Corps done 8 years (some wear there) welded 3 years, worked frieght docks for about 8 years cost me a bum left shoulder (three operations) 26 years law enforcement and that was it, going to work one morning and told the boss (wife) I had enough today I retire. Never looked back I hunt, fish, shoot do what ever whenever I want, dont have to kiss anyones ass for time off, we live a good life and am very comfortable. Best decision I ever made.
A lot of us started working as kids. Farms, ranches, on the houses we lived in, etc. I got put to work the second I got home from school and usually all weekend except for church. We were always working on the houses or property we lived in. I was digging septic lines and running electrical before I was 12. I remember scraping paint and even straightening nails before that. Probably the 1st "job" I ever had was holding nails for my mom about age 3 or 4. Then on to straightening nails and on from there to pulling wallpaper, scraping paint and weed whacking the yard because we didn't have a mower. I spent summers on my grandfather's farm building fence, laying irrigation pipe, working on tractors and trucks, etc. mostly because it was one less mouth for my mom to feed for three months. I honestly can't remember a time when I didn't have a job of some kind. Worked my way through college, sometimes having 3 or 4 part-time jobs at once. Like you said, it will put some wear and tear on a person. I may have 32 years in my profession, but those started after the tough years were behind me. LOL I will have ZERO issues with retiring at my minimum retirement age. Zero. I know guys that have said "you're gonna retire at 57?" and I'm like hell yes. While you were in 4-H and drama club and playing sports and going to college on your parent's dime, I was working. So hell yes I'm retiring as soon as I'm eligible. LOL

I didn't write all that to make it sound like I did any more than a lot of folks here. I know many of you have worked your entire lives as well. I just get tired of guys who had it soft growing up acting like I'm somehow retiring "early" when I talk about going as soon as I'm eligible. That's all. Thank you for listening to my TED talk. :D ha, ha.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
On my Social Security page it shows all my wages going all the way back to the late 60’s- a couple of those years my annual income was a mere couple hundred bucks- when I was a kid delivering newspapers :D

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
Still working at 63 - probably 2-3 more years to go but a slow ramp-down. Like Mtwarden, I started working at as a paperboy at age 12 and had some employment ever since. Pretty sure I'll have no trouble staying busy when retirement does come!

On my Social Security page it shows all my wages going all the way back to the late 60’s- a couple of those years my annual income was a mere couple hundred bucks- when I was a kid delivering newspapers :D
My 1st SS quarter was in 84 and I can tell you that job was a hell of a lot easier than what was waiting for me at home. It was like getting an 8-hour break every day from my mother the home general contractor. LOL I couldn't believe I was getting paid to use a gas weed eater. At home, all we had was a hand-held weed wacker.

The guys I feel sorry for are the ones whose identity is their job, and without it they are completely lost. I can get losing touch with all your professional contacts. That will be tough for me too. But folks who have their identity tied up in their title or salary are in for a rough time at the end of their careers.

rodney747

WKR
At 68 plus and being self employed in agriculture and land investment since 1974 I hunt and fish a lot. But my body now determines the locations. I can handle the Texas hill country for whitetail and exotics low fence, my pronghorn, mule deer, and occasional elk from the big FLATLANDS of the Northern Texas Panhandle and the Gulf of Mexico when the seas are calm. My only association with mountains from here on out are the magnificent pictures you guys post on here and I sure do enjoy them!

f16jack

WKR
I've been semi retired (due to chemo) for these last 3 years. A group of older guys I hang out with mentioned the term "QTR" to me. I had no clue what that meant.
It was "Quality Time Remaining." Or, "how long do you think your body will really hold out?"
It's tough, but once your kids are out of the house (say when you're about age 45 or so), make the time for the things important to you. If this is backcountry and mountains, do it then. And having done it periodically, when you are older you're body will be conditioned and you can hopefully keep it up for many more years.
QTR.
Jack

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
A couple years ago I chose to cut down to working just two-days a week as opposed to fully retiring from work because I still truly enjoy what I do...I don't have to work. As far as future work is concerned, I think in terms of six-month commitments into the future, no further. BTW, I turned 70 a few months ago.

I have no idea what will be "the best years of life", i.e., behind me, currently, or in the future. From a quantitative perspective it's a slam dunk answer...I have much, much fewer years ahead than I've already lived.

However, the question in this thread is a qualitative reference, but I've never thought from the perspective of the best years in my life. I've always tried to live for today, never living for tomorrow...one exception year noted. Always working hard, playing hard, valuing my family, enjoying life, and reminding myself to look around and be truly thankful. I've taken 6-8 weeks of leave (primarily unpaid) each year for the last twenty years that I was working full-time...so many wonderful adventures...and more already planned for this year including a moose hunt with my son and hopefully a caribou hunt/float in the Brooks with my daughter.

I did live for tomorrow for one year when I was in the Marines in the Viet Nam war...counting down from "365 and a wake-up". However, it sure lite a fire under my 19yo ass to go to college when my enlistment was over, which I most certainly did. Most importantly, I met and married my college sweetheart/love of my life...she and our children have been and always will be the best part of my life (and our grandson and other grandchildren yet to come!!).

I suspect that the perspective I've shared is also shared by others here as well at least to some degree. Sorry I went long in my response..."the best years of life" is not a quick answer for me. I guess I could have simply said that the best years of life for me have always been right now...at least so far...but that could and does change in a second.

The very best to all you other old guys!

OP
AK_Skeeter
I believe the next ten years will be the best 10 years of my life (65 to 75).
When I was young, money was a constraint.
When I was mid-age, time was a constraint.
Now that I'm retired, money, time, and fitness are not major constraints.

It is so nice to hunt and not see anyone because I restricted my hunting this year to weekdays
or remote hunts for 2 weeks away from the crowd and no need to rush back to work.

It is so nice that I have the time needed for twice weekly long endurance hikes and don't have
to start in the predawn darkness like I did when I was working.

My sheep hunting mentor killed his last ram at age 70 and hunted to late 70s.
I hope with a little luck 65-75 will be my best hunting years.
View attachment 383900
Plus a new lab puppy!
pup.JPG

LOTS of good attitude in this thread... Worked hard in construction since I was 18, made good money and have my house paid for, a cabin and a few acres in North Central Washington that needs to get paid off and am on track to retire in 4 years at 55... "might" try and work a couple days a week to finance out of state tags :) .

Really love to hear how it has worked out for everyone else! Gives me hope

49ereric

WKR
A couple years ago I chose to cut down to working just two-days a week as opposed to fully retiring from work because I still truly enjoy what I do...I don't have to work. As far as future work is concerned, I think in terms of six-month commitments into the future, no further. BTW, I turned 70 a few months ago.

I have no idea what will be "the best years of life", i.e., behind me, currently, or in the future. From a quantitative perspective it's a slam dunk answer...I have much, much fewer years ahead than I've already lived.

However, the question in this thread is a qualitative reference, but I've never thought from the perspective of the best years in my life. I've always tried to live for today, never living for tomorrow...one exception year noted. Always working hard, playing hard, valuing my family, enjoying life, and reminding myself to look around and be truly thankful. I've taken 6-8 weeks of leave (primarily unpaid) each year for the last twenty years that I was working full-time...so many wonderful adventures...and more already planned for this year including a moose hunt with my son and hopefully a caribou hunt/float in the Brooks with my daughter.

I did live for tomorrow for one year when I was in the Marines in the Viet Nam war...counting down from "365 and a wake-up". However, it sure lite a fire under my 19yo ass to go to college when my enlistment was over, which I most certainly did. Most importantly, I met and married my college sweetheart/love of my life...she and our children have been and always will be the best part of my life (and our grandson and other grandchildren yet to come!!).

I suspect that the perspective I've shared is also shared by others here as well at least to some degree. Sorry I went long in my response..."the best years of life" is not a quick answer for me. I guess I could have simply said that the best years of life for me have always been right now...at least so far...but that could and does change in a second.

The very best to all you other old guys!
I thought the Marine tour of duty was 13 months? Curious is all to where my misinform comes from.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I thought the Marine tour of duty was 13 months? Curious is all to where my misinform comes from.
When I was in the Marines (a long time ago LOL!), we did "365 and a wake-up"...at least that is what it was for me and those with whom I served in the expeditionary force.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
My beautiful wife kinda made me retire and my wore out body kinda convinced me. After breaking my shoulder n having the whole thing replaced. I broke my neck had a plate installed on the front, 567. Gosh darn #6 got pulled back n was putting the guillotine to my spinal cord. Put a nice red ring around it dr said. Actually just before that surgery he tells me , huh last time I saw you I didn't think you'd make it back, jeesh. Don't fall on the side of a mountain while hanging with your daughter , not happening. And then somehow the graphs between a couple vertebrae decide to split the sheets. And now I have to have the back of them fused. I guess you'll have that
Anyhows my beautiful wife lets
us build a nice log cabin in the bush. I knew I'd be getting oller n would still need to get out. Yeah man, I scored good. And she told me that she wants to move out there. Just keeps getting better eh

Attachments

• 09E7C847-A67E-4254-84C1-CD839F855A40.jpeg
    09E7C847-A67E-4254-84C1-CD839F855A40.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 27B9E48C-44DE-41BB-93F7-EE9B9ABE820A.jpeg
    27B9E48C-44DE-41BB-93F7-EE9B9ABE820A.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210411_111436.jpg
    20210411_111436.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210411_112603.jpg
    20210411_112603.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210317_114745.jpg
    20210317_114745.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 79C64E49-44AB-4251-9912-26755EAED3C8.jpeg
    79C64E49-44AB-4251-9912-26755EAED3C8.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 17
I believe the next ten years will be the best 10 years of my life (65 to 75).
When I was young, money was a constraint.
When I was mid-age, time was a constraint.
Now that I'm retired, money, time, and fitness are not major constraints.

It is so nice to hunt and not see anyone because I restricted my hunting this year to weekdays
or remote hunts for 2 weeks away from the crowd and no need to rush back to work.

It is so nice that I have the time needed for twice weekly long endurance hikes and don't have
to start in the predawn darkness like I did when I was working.

My sheep hunting mentor killed his last ram at age 70 and hunted to late 70s.
I hope with a little luck 65-75 will be my best hunting years.
View attachment 383900
Best of luck to you!

When I was in the Marines (a long time ago LOL!), we did "365 and a wake-up"...at least that is what it was for me and those with whom I served in the expeditionary force.
We done 13-month tours and yes it was a MEF, this was 1974, Guess things change from time to time. Figured I would not make it past 37 years old, heading into 67 so every day after 37 is the best years of my life. Been some rough ones but still kickin. Doing well at this time. SEMPER FI.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Guess things change from time to time... SEMPER FI.
Who knows...guess I and others with me just lucked-out on that particular deployment. I was an "air-winger", an air traffic controller in the "tower"...maybe that was a difference. Regardless, best of luck to you...and SEMPER FI back at you brother!