The Best Years of My Life

I believe the next ten years will be the best 10 years of my life (65 to 75).
When I was young, money was a constraint.
When I was mid-age, time was a constraint.
Now that I'm retired, money, time, and fitness are not major constraints.

It is so nice to hunt and not see anyone because I restricted my hunting this year to weekdays
or remote hunts for 2 weeks away from the crowd and no need to rush back to work.

It is so nice that I have the time needed for twice weekly long endurance hikes and don't have
to start in the predawn darkness like I did when I was working.

My sheep hunting mentor killed his last ram at age 70 and hunted to late 70s.
I hope with a little luck 65-75 will be my best hunting years.
Down.jpg

fatrascal

WKR
I've been very hard on my body in my life. When I get down on the ground to pitch a tent I can hardly get back up due to weak knees. But I ain't quittin yet.
I've damaged my hips and cannot spread my legs to ride my horse or straddle my atv anymore. But I ain't quittin yet.
Dang left foot looks way bad due to a bunion. But I ain't quttin yet.
When I hike its a guarantee that I'm gonna have leg cramps at night. But I ain't quittin yet.
Fatrascal.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I couldn’t agree more after retiring two months ago. I now have all the time I need; money is not a big worry and I’m in good physical condition- in large part because I have the time.

This upcoming hunting season (God willing) should be the best hunting season yet.

This is exactly what I was hoping for in retirement :D

I couldn’t agree more after retiring two months ago. I now have all the time I need; money is not a big worry and I’m in good physical condition- in large part because I have the time.

This upcoming hunting season (God willing) should be the best hunting season yet.

This is exactly what I was hoping for in retirement :D
You guys are going to make the next 4 years feel like lifetime to me. LOL

Being able to hunt or fish or just hike and camp in the middle of the week is one of my main reasons for retiring as soon as I'm eligible. Like the OP mentioned, going out for a week or two without feeling like I need to rush to get home will be so fulfilling. Hell, just being able to sleep in when I feel like it is something I'm looking forward to! I've been getting up before daylight for my entire life.

I know quite a few retirees from my line of work. I see them from time to time. Every single one of them looks younger today than before they retired. And some of them retired over 10 years ago!

Enjoy it gentlemen. You earned it. And I am earning mine and plan to take full advantage when the time comes!

JasonWi

WKR
Congrats to all you guys!! I’m beyond jealous.

I’m 46 and have quite a few years left until I can retire. I’m saving like a madman and trying to keep my body in peak shape so I’ll be able to actually enjoy it (lord willing!).

AK_Skeeter hit the nail on the head. I’ve now got the money, but time away from work is the biggest constraint every year.

You guys all enjoy your retirements!!

To me retirement means work as it interests me and when. Hunting every day during season is a no brainer. Cutting out trails and scouting new country are just what has to be done to facilitate hunting season. I consult to fill the time inbetween. How I worked full time I don't know.

Use your final years wisely.

Super tag

WKR
I’ve always lived to the fullest. I’m older, but not too old, financially able to do whatever I want, have all the time etc.

Don’t wait for ”retirement” to live, live each day to the fullest, many are unable to enjoy life to the degree they had planned for once they arrive, Enjoy the journey.

rayporter

WKR
my best 10 years were right after i retired but that was when i was 51. at 66 health troubles started.

way back right after i retired we were eating dinner the night before packing in and 2 ol guys were listening to us. they struck up a conversation about elk cause they had just retired [ at 65] and were on thier first hunt. i thought that was really sad that they had no clue how hard a trip they were in for and that they could not enjoy many more hunts.

OP
AK_Skeeter
One big advantage is the time to scout on the ground and eliminate potential areas that I may have wasted time on during hunting season.

I have found that the elk are as disabled in the downfall as I am. I get out and cut out trails. Within a week the elk start using them.

I get in shape, my horses get in shape, and the elk continue to use the areas I know and use. The same goes with developing springs and stream access. It's time spent that benefits you for years.

EdP

WKR
My oldest son got it in his head that his college years were going to be the best time of his life and he needed to make the most of them. That meant he made the least of them, but did finally graduate with an engineering degree. Now married, middle age, well employeed, and with an almost teenage daughter that he adores and she adores him, he knows better. My other son is married, well employeed, has a 2yr old son and another child on the way. I am 67, 11 years retired, still healthy, fit, and agile, with a wonderful wife and delightful grandchildren. THIS is absolutely the best time of my life.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm still working at 64, be 65 this oct., but I have a pretty sweet gig at the moment. Have about 12 weeks off a year, paid, housing is provided and the job is still fun. And I an be in the high country in about 10 minutes.
So.......yup.......looking forward to many more trips up to the alpine, fires and friends and solo jaunts.

Randy