The BEST Hunt of my Life

OP
B

BiG Boar

FNG
I calmed my nerves and lined him up. I waited for him to feed broadside. 5 minutes seemed like forever as I waited. He was heading out of sight right below me again, and then he turned and put his head down for one last meal.

At 320 yards the bowl became a symphony of thunder as the shot smacked into him and he dropped. Flailing on the ground I put one down and into his spine to ensure he wasn’t leaving. It was finally over. I had my first ram down. It was 9:30 and nearing darkness. This was going to be a long night.

With a bounce in my light step I made my way back down to my pack and got my stuff. I left everything there I didn’t need, like spotting scope, binos, gun and bullets. I got to the ram after dark. As I got up into the bowl he was in, the cool mountain air filled my nostrils with the first time of smelling a sheep. I put on my headlight and when I thought I was nearing him I looked all around me. His eyes lit up and I made my way to lay my hands on my first set of BC horns. Somehow unsure of how legal he was I lifted his horns and looked over the bridge of his nose. Wow! He was way over, on both sides, and broomed off really far! What a hog! I then remembered Houdini from before the opener. Could this be him? I am still not sure, but somehow I think it is. You be the judge.

I skinned him for a life size mount, and tied my first set of horns to my pack. Actually, I didn’t skin out the head or hooves just yet. It was near 2 in the morning. I was alone. Without a gun. It was dark. I prayed I would make it out with no problems. Negotiating cliffs at night, and rocks so big they will snap your leg with one wrong move I negotiated the pack slowly back towards camp. I was praying for the strength and well placed footsteps to make this journey home, with well over 100lbs on my back. I had no choice. My inexperience didn’t let me bring even a sil tarp, let alone my sleeping bag.

I got back to camp at 4:40am. I whistled footslogging my way into camp to not spook my friend into thinking I was a grizzly. His words were, “You better have a ram on your back or your grounded mister!” I have never felt so satisfied and so exhausted. It was over. Truly the best hunt of my life.

OP
B

BiG Boar

FNG
DSC04505copy.jpg

DSC04510copy.jpg

IMG_3802copy.jpg

IMG_3804copy.jpg

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on that old bruiser!! Good write up. Way to stick with it and put in a solid effort.

Fantastic write up and photo's to back it all up. Smoking Sheep and country. We are ALL jealous, okay I said it.
Also, What were those creek crossing britches you were wearing?