The 6UM

Tx_300wsm

FNG
You guys running the dtac, would the deep nose ring work for whitetails or would you use a different projectile altogether?

khuber84

WKR
You guys running the dtac, would the deep nose ring work for whitetails or would you use a different projectile altogether?
Shoulder punch em! Believe it was previously stated the deep nose ring at 500y and in should still expand or break the tip and cause a lot of damage, standard nose ring was suggested to to big body game only. Deer I'd probably go to a open nose hollow point of tipped bullet. I've launched 109 eldm and 109 lrht at 3330 from my 7.75tw barrel and and all was well out to 300y. They have a lot of room to go velocity wise as the shoulder only came ahead 001 and almost not web area expansion from fired, and the 115 dtacs loads were all ahead 003 and had 001-0015 growth at base of case. I have a 0.552 chamber at 200 line as I've been down the Saum clicker road before. I'm gonna get some the new lot Hornady brass, and try it. I know GAP ran some with 147 at 3050 with H1000(warm load) and they still had tight pockets after 12 reloads with no annealing, so sounds like it's decent strength wise. The Hdy brass doesn't have the same hardness down low and should size easier(probably swells quicker too), and it holds a bit more powder.

Last edited:

huntnful

WKR
Not to hijack the 6 UM thread, but I just killed this buck with a 108 ELDM out of a 6PRC at 3260 FPS. So more fast 6mm data for others.

He was bedded quartering to me at 180 yards. I put the bullet just inside the shoulder (near the neck). Initial impact “stoned” him. He laid there for about 10 seconds, then worked his way to his feet, stumbled down the mountain about 5 yards and died. Split one lung in half and seemed to kill just fine.

IMG_0091.jpeg
Entrance is at the point of the shoulder and you can still see the trauma it was causing back well behind the shoulder.
IMG_0132.jpeg

amassi

WKR
The Cayuga showed up today
Pictured with the 115 dtac(bottom)
I think these are gonna scoot along nicely and if the bc holds up (advertised g1 .540) they’ll be plenty fast for the distances I’m shooting monos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7ef13f227f08d26148fd6736dc7a04df.jpg

gelton

WKR
Not to hijack the 6 UM thread, but I just killed this buck with a 108 ELDM out of a 6PRC at 3260 FPS. So more fast 6mm data for others.

He was bedded quartering to me at 180 yards. I put the bullet just inside the shoulder (near the neck). Initial impact “stoned” him. He laid there for about 10 seconds, then worked his way to his feet, stumbled down the mountain about 5 yards and died. Split one lung in half and seemed to kill just fine.

View attachment 627553
Entrance is at the point of the shoulder and you can still see the trauma it was causing back well behind the shoulder.
View attachment 627555
What length barrel and twist?

Floridave

FNG
How does one go about getting the deep cut Dtac’s? I can’t see any ordering option. Is that something that’s done by you guys after you get them?

khuber84

WKR
Idk, I placed an order for 2500, in comments requested deep cut. My bullets don't look like the deep cut pics posted here, believe they're standard cut.

How does one go about getting the deep cut Dtac’s? I can’t see any ordering option. Is that something that’s done by you guys after you get them?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
From the elk posted above. 115gr DTAC

Approximately 1,940fps impact velocity. No bones hit until exit side rib. First shot was very rear lobe of lung. No upset at this point.

IMG_4426.jpeg

Then it caught the very front of the stomach. Look to the left of the knife tip and you can see the hole into the stomach.
IMG_4425.jpeg

Came out through the edge of the liver, and the other lungs rear lobe and is showing signs of yawing (tumbling), breaking a rib on exit.
IMG_4427.jpeg

Exit side shows a near perfect sideways bullet from yawing.

IMG_4428.jpeg

Second hit was through lower neck, no pictures unfortunately. The elk fell at that shot, started tumbling down hill, then at some point stood up generally quartering away, and the third hit angled through the femur and lower spine. The bull dropped at this shot and laid still with his head down for a few seconds, then tried to lift his head again, and a final shot was put into his neck.

Femur/spine impact. This was approximately a 4” diameter wound channel.
IMG_4429.jpeg

slowelk

WKR
@Formidilosus how should the layman interpret your necropsy post in terms of how well or unwell this round performed at the stated impact velocity? No snark here, just trying to understand if this is an ideal outcome or not.

On paper, four shots to dispatch an elk doesn't seem ideal, especially if the first one or two don't necessarily seem to be immediately lethal, or maybe they were?

huntnful

WKR
@Formidilosus how should the layman interpret your necropsy post in terms of how well or unwell this round performed at the stated impact velocity? No snark here, just trying to understand if this is an ideal outcome or not.

On paper, four shots to dispatch an elk doesn't seem ideal, especially if the first one or two don't necessarily seem to be immediately lethal, or maybe they were?
Excellent question. I’d like to know also, because I’m unsure that the performance of the first shot would have been lethal at all on a big bull.

Thank you for the transparency with the terminal reports also Form. Good and bad, are appreciated for sure.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Ideal or not is relative. The DTAC’s general behavior is to penetrate several inches then yaw (tumble) about half the time fragmenting some when they do, about half the time not. The first shot in the back of the lungs caught the stomach right at the diaphragm line, and my guess is the grass in the stomach is what kept the bullet from yawing as normal earlier in the wound track. As soon as the bullet hit the liver it was already turning, and was fully sideways by the offside lung and exit.
The one I’m the hip behaved as normal, that is dramatically. The two in the neck, didn’t catch any bone and not that much muscle, and only started to upset as the exited.

I wouldn’t say this was “bad”, I would say it’s about worst case scenario of impact locations and performance for this bullet. From first shot to last the elk moved exactly 60 yards.

Don’t read into the amount of shots. My average is 4 shots in elk. This is regardless of caliber or cartridge. The last one with a 338 mag was 6 chest shots IIRC.
I do not shoot and then watch and see what happens waiting for them to fall over. I watch the impact, run the bolt immediately, and if the animal is still standing or in any way still moving, they keep getting shot. I keep shooting until they stop moving. I’ve spent too much time chasing wounded animals because people thought their first shot was “perfect” and wanted to play the “one shot kill” BS game.

Shoot them to the ground as quickly as possible.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Excellent question. I’d like to know also, because I’m unsure that the performance of the first shot would have been lethal at all on a big bull.

Big bull, little bull, or cow doesn’t matter. They all die the same and unless an animal can figure out how to survive a hole in one lung, a hole through the stomach, and a golf ball size hole through the liver and other lung- it’s fatal. The bull went exactly 60 yards from first to last shot. That particular wound is inline with standard monos and deep penetrating bonded bullets at similar impact speeds, as far as shape of the wound, etc.

Don’t read into the amount of shots- I shoot quickly. I have shot multiple elk with big 30cals 4-6 times all in the chest before they fell and stopped moving.

Thank you for the transparency with the terminal reports also Form. Good and bad, are appreciated for sure.

Always. It’s just data to me, and I will be transparent.

huntnful

WKR
Big bull, little bull, or cow doesn’t matter. They all die the same and unless an animal can figure out how to survive a hole in one lung, a hole through the stomach, and a golf ball size hole through the liver and other lung- it’s fatal. The bull went exactly 60 yards from first to last shot. That particular wound is inline with standard monos and deep penetrating bonded bullets at similar impact speeds, as far as shape of the wound, etc.

Don’t read into the amount of shots- I shoot quickly. I have shot multiple elk with big 30cals 4-6 times all in the chest before they fell and stopped moving.

Always. It’s just data to me, and I will be transparent.
Yeah that’s a good point. Lethal for sure, eventually. Do you see that impact velocity directly correlates to how quickly a bullet will tumble upon impact if it doesn’t completely fragment? I’m not a fan of tumbling bullets in case you can’t tell haha. It doesn’t seem consistent enough to me.

I took this picture of how wide a bull really is, after I quartered it up. Doesn’t look like a lot room there for delayed terminal performance IMO. My hand is behind the removed shoulders. 225 ELDM ate him up

IMG_9926.jpeg