The 6UM

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
By firing 2-3, all of my brass are nothing but clickers. Doesn't matter the pressure, everything from very mild loads with H1000 and 105 hybrids up to max pressure with N570/115 DTACs. I'm still hunting with the rifle, just takes a second longer to reload. Brass that are fireformed without projectiles give me one more full firing before it's a problem.
UM is working on a reamer revision, seems to be what is needed. They have been really good about communicating with me on the issue and started working on it a while back.
.547" on the .200 line is where it becomes a problem. .546" is borderline, anything below that isn't a problem.
The reamer just showed up. We moved the 200 line to .552 from .548. This should fix the issue. This recent rifle is on it forth firing of brass and has clickers but I’m still going hunting with it, as you said just a little slower. The OG 6UM had a fat rearend for some reason and clickers didn’t show up.

Wildcattin fun:)

Last edited:
The reamer just showed up. We moved the 200 line to .552 from .548. This should fix the issue. This recent rifle is on it forth firing of brass and has clickers but I’m still going hunting with it, as you said just a little slower. The OG 6UM had a fat rearend for some reason and clickers didn’t show up.

Wildcattin fun:)
Spot on, that measurement should be exactly what it needs. I'll have to send my barrel in after season to get it opened up with the new reamer. Thanks for the update!

All this 6mm discussion has me questioning why I don’t reload and still shoot a 6.5 CM!

Since reloading still intimidates me.. a 6 CM makes the most sense for factory options. But, does anyone know if Unknown Munitions, or anyone else, will load up 6 CM with 115 DTAC’s as a custom factory load?
Sorry for the minor derail of 6UM. Feel free to private message.

amassi

WKR
All this 6mm discussion has me questioning why I don’t reload and still shoot a 6.5 CM!

Since reloading still intimidates me.. a 6 CM makes the most sense for factory options. But, does anyone know if Unknown Munitions, or anyone else, will load up 6 CM with 115 DTAC’s as a custom factory load?

They list the Dtac in the 6xc offering
I’m sure they’d roll you some 6cm dtacs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you been using those new monos (can’t remember the brand) in 6.5?

Handloading is easy but I got my recent 6 creed specifically to avoid it!

Have you been using those new monos (can’t remember the brand) in 6.5?

Handloading is easy but I got my recent 6 creed specifically to avoid it!
I have been using the G9 113g Long Range Hunter ammunition. So far I’ve killed one sheep at 70 yards with it and nearly had a full body pass through. The petals sheared off, creating a massive wound channel in the front quarter that I shot into. The shank ended up in the off side hind quarter.

I’d love to get @Formidilosus thoughts on this projectile in comparison to the 135 DRT that he’s recommended as well.

The G9 certainly seems like it has potential to help my short 6.5 CM punch above its weight, with fairly high B.C., fast velocity and claimed low expansion velocity. I’m getting around 2,900 fps from an 18” bbl. At 5,000 ft, that gives me 1800 fps at 700 yards and 1600 at 850, which is what they say it still reliable expands as designed.

Last edited:
The 135g DRT is not a mono. It's a lead-free jacketed boat tail hollow point with a tungsten core. It's terminal behavior is more like a BTHP lead-core match bullet, and not at all like a mono.
Copy that. I’ll take this discussion to the 6.5/.260 thread where you’ve already posted some good info on this particular round.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I have been using the G9 113g Long Range Hunter ammunition. So far I’ve killed one sheep at 70 yards with it and nearly had a full body pass through. The petals sheared off, creating a massive wound channel in the front quarter that I shot into. The shank ended up in the off side hind quarter.

I’d love to get @Formidilosus thoughts on this projectile in comparison to the 135 DRT that he’s recommended as well.

One elk with their copper version. Nothing special, it was a standard mono like wound. We never got enough of the 113gr Long Range Hunter ammo to true the gun out. It was inconsistent in POI and MV from box one box to the next, and showed very large shifts in POI at 700 yards. Additionally that it must be used in a totally clean bore and that no other bullets can be shot congruently, pretty much limits them to an extreme specialty projectile.

The DRT 135gr while a lower BC than the G9, however can be shot side by side with any other projectile and in my limited experience so far produces a very Berger VLD type wound profile.

The first two harvests with my rifle happened Saturday morning. Both were antelope does. Both bullets were the deep cut NR DTACs. My GF shot hers at 325 yards. The hit was a little back and high, the doe dropped on the spot and never moved. The spinal cord itself wasn't hit, but must have been disrupted. Main wound channel went through the liver and was about 3" in diameter. Other fragments went through the diaphragm and the back of the lungs. Exit was football shaped, 2" tall and 4" wide. Impact velocity of ~2980 fps
Mine was at 350 yards immediately after the first one. Very slightly quartering to, entrance 1" behind the shoulder and middle top to bottom. It looked like some fragments exited and some didn't, but none were recovered. Despite being hit farther forward significant fragments went into the guts and destroyed the diaphragm. Main wound channel through the lungs was about 3" in diameter. Less than half of the diaphragm was intact. Exit side consisted of multiple fragments but no large hole. Impact velocity of ~2915 fps.
Overall I'm extremely pleased. These shots were way inside of the performance envelope of the cartridge, but it did exactly what it is supposed to. My GF has very limited experience with centerfire rifles and this is her first hunt. She shot well in practice and did great in the field. Removing recoil as a factor for sensitivity, spotting hits, and field accuracy was very beneficial. She shot hers on 5x and was able to see the hit through the scope. When I picked up the rifle I zoomed it in to 7x and easily watched the bullet hit. Mine ran maybe 20 yards before tipping over, but after seeing the exact impact I didn't bother to shoot again despite having time to do so.
I need to post some pics of the rifle now that it's all finished. 10.6 lbs scoped, so I'm going to build a lighter one for backpack hunts.

First entrance outside
PXL_20231007_160517685.jpg

First entrance inside
PXL_20231007_160522459.jpg

First exit inside
PXL_20231007_160525107.jpg

First exit outside
PXL_20231007_160534622.jpg

Second entrance inside. Directly through a rib
PXL_20231007_163512771.jpg

Second exit inside. Multiple fragments rather than a single large wound channel. Either she was quartering more than I thought or the bullet took quite a turn inside. Very effective either way.

PXL_20231007_163517125.jpg

Last edited:

ElPollo

WKR
The first two harvests with my rifle happened Saturday morning. Both were antelope does. Both bullets were the deep cut NR DTACs. My GF shot hers at 325 yards. The hit was a little back and high, the doe dropped on the spot and never moved. The spinal cord itself wasn't hit, but must have been disrupted. Main wound channel went through the liver and was about 3" in diameter. Other fragments went through the diaphragm and the back of the lungs. Exit was football shaped, 2" tall and 4" wide. Impact velocity of ~2980 fps
Mine was at 350 yards immediately after the first one. Very slightly quartering to, entrance 2.5" behind the shoulder and middle top to bottom. It looked like some fragments exited and some didn't, but none were recovered. Despite being hit farther forward significant fragments went into the guts and destroyed the diaphragm. Main wound channel through the lungs was about 3" in diameter. Less than half of the diaphragm was intact. Exit side consisted of multiple fragments but no large hole. Impact velocity of ~2915 fps.
Overall I'm extremely pleased. These shots were way inside of the performance envelope of the cartridge, but it did exactly what it is supposed to. My GF has very limited experience with centerfire rifles and this is her first hunt. She shot well in practice and did great in the field. Removing recoil as a factor for sensitivity, spotting hits, and field accuracy was very beneficial. She shot hers on 5x and was able to see the hit through the scope. When I picked up the rifle I zoomed it in to 7x and easily watched the bullet hit. Mine ran maybe 20 yards before tipping over, but after seeing the exact impact I didn't bother to shoot again despite having time to do so.
I need to post some pics of the rifle now that it's all finished. 10.6 lbs scoped, so I'm going to build a lighter one for backpack hunts.

First entrance outside
View attachment 611847

First entrance inside
View attachment 611848

First exit inside
View attachment 611849

First exit outside
View attachment 611851

View attachment 611852

Second exit inside. Multiple fragments rather than a single large wound channel. Either she was quartering more than I thought or the bullet took quite a turn inside. Very effective either way.

View attachment 611853
That’s pretty impressive.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Mine was at 350 yards immediately after the first one. Very slightly quartering to, entrance 2.5" behind the shoulder and middle top to bottom. It looked like some fragments exited and some didn't, but none were recovered. Despite being hit farther forward significant fragments went into the guts and destroyed the diaphragm. Main wound channel through the lungs was about 3" in diameter. Less than half of the diaphragm was intact. Exit side consisted of multiple fragments but no large hole. Impact velocity of ~2915 fps.

First entrance outside
View attachment 611847

First entrance inside
View attachment 611848

First exit inside
View attachment 611849

First exit outside
View attachment 611851

View attachment 611852

View attachment 611853
Awesome!