The 6.8 Western, By Jesse Werner

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
That's about it. I wasn't trying to cast more shade on a 6.8W. As I've stated before, I think it's a good round that will efficiently make dead animals out of live ones. I might likely own one someday.
No worries at all. I glanced at the post and saw the Peterson name and a piece of brass and I got a flash of excitement that it was a 6.8 announcement. Some day...

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Peterson's priorities, I believe.....I could be wrong.
Shoot2Hunt just did a podcast with Petersen cartridges a couple weeks ago. I specifically asked Ryan Avery to inquire about the 6.8 Western. The answer was that they had received some interest, but it won't be anytime soon. The start of a new cartridge for them takes 1.5 to 2 years, typically. They really expedited the 7PRC, it is an exception to the rule.

sjvcon

FNG
There are so many cartridges that do things so similarly these days, it is hard to know what to use. I guess a lot comes down to getting the Ammo when you need it. I always see 6.8 when I go to the local shop ... so that is a good thing. Question is whether it will catch on or not like the PRC's have. Certainly seems to be a good round.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
I hate to be the old curmudgeon on the forum but why wouldn’t you run down to the local store & pick up a 270 or 7mm RM get similar or better results, cheaper ammo & a lighter rifle. A Tikka or Weatherby Vanguard will shoot your hand loads sub MOA in a lighter cheaper package knowing brass will always be available?

New calibers are cool & keep the industry healthy but my 1976 $179 Ruger shoots better than 1/2” all day long at less than 9 lbs. it was bedded with a trigger job & has a custom sissy muzzle brake so it’s not straight off the shelf but off the shelf brands now come with accuracy guarantees threaded muzzle & adjustable triggers.

That rifle hasn’t been first string for elk for some time. An old Vanguard no brake 2.5 lb Timney trigger in 300 Weatherby shoots almost as well & hits with more authority.

Both these now ancient calibers outperform the brand new ones, come in inexpensive reliable rifles - but don’t make for exciting new articles & an excuse to do more load development.

todd m

FNG
....why wouldn’t you run down to the local store & pick up a 270 or 7mm RM get similar or better results, cheaper ammo & a lighter rifle. A Tikka or Weatherby Vanguard will shoot your hand loads sub MOA in a lighter cheaper package knowing brass will always be available?....

.....Both these now ancient calibers outperform the brand new ones, come in inexpensive reliable rifles - but don’t make for exciting new articles & an excuse to do more load development.
my 270 win will not "outperform" my 6.8W, no matter how badly i want it to. it can't shoot 170 or 175 grain bullets without a re-barrel and since its a hunting rifle i see no reason to do that; a thousand (a couple thousand?) or more rounds left before it goes bad. Would i take it elk hunting? Yes. But the 6.8W outperforms the 270 for power and downrange energy. Why would I get a 7mm when I've got thousands of 130 gr, 140gr, 145gr, and 150gr .277 bullets I can reload (if i want/choose) for my 6.8, not to mention the heavies (165gr, 170gr, and 175gr)? If I got a 7mm, then i'd need to stock up on those components, too. 6.8W is just a tool and I've got plenty of similar to 270win components for it, so might as well have it in my tool box. I didn't go 270WSM because 6.8W is what 270WSM should have been and there's really not a whole lot of difference between it and my 270WIN. I went 6.8W because of the heavies.

If you have a 270WIN and a 7mm or 308 caliber, there's likely no reason to get a 6.8W, But if you don't, then 6.8W is a great choice for western hunting - it can take anything in the lower 48 (except grizz) out to 750 yards if you've got the shooting skills.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
Great reason to go with a speedy 270 instead of my favorite 7mm that will outperform the 6.8 W. But a 270 WSM & 270 Weatherby already fill that niche. New chamberings do make the industry money & give rifle nerds something to talk about but there wasn’t some kind of gap to be filled. We have plenty of fast 6.5, 277, 7mm &308 chamberings to meet hunters needs. 1000 yard target rifles at the bleeding edge of aerodynamics looking for super heavy for caliber bullets might require a PRC & similar.

my 270 win will not "outperform" my 6.8W, no matter how badly i want it to. it can't shoot 170 or 175 grain bullets without a re-barrel and since its a hunting rifle i see no reason to do that; a thousand (a couple thousand?) or more rounds left before it goes bad. Would i take it elk hunting? Yes. But the 6.8W outperforms the 270 for power and downrange energy. Why would I get a 7mm when I've got thousands of 130 gr, 140gr, 145gr, and 150gr .277 bullets I can reload (if i want/choose) for my 6.8, not to mention the heavies (165gr, 170gr, and 175gr)? If I got a 7mm, then i'd need to stock up on those components, too. 6.8W is just a tool and I've got plenty of similar to 270win components for it, so might as well have it in my tool box. I didn't go 270WSM because 6.8W is what 270WSM should have been and there's really not a whole lot of difference between it and my 270WIN. I went 6.8W because of the heavies.

If you have a 270WIN and a 7mm or 308 caliber, there's likely no reason to get a 6.8W, But if you don't, then 6.8W is a great choice for western hunting - it can take anything in the lower 48 (except grizz) out to 750 yards if you've got the shooting skills.
Depends on your definition of "outperform".

gerry35

WKR

Very similar to my thought process and why I went with the 6.8 W. Have lots of 6.5, 277 and 35 cal bullets so I tend to look at those rounds before others.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations. That rifle will do almost everything you need. It's not too small, and it's not too big. I've shot more than 70 whitetail deer with my 308. Most of those were shot with 150 grain Sierra spitzer boat tail. The old man bullets with the lead pointy tips. They're nearly match accurate if your gun likes them. I am highly upset if a deer goes 15 yd after being shot.
I would say your rifle is going to be a little bit punchy because it's a lightweight. It definitely will not be a wimp. But the recoil should be very manageable. Sometimes I fold a kitchen hand towel twice and lay it over my shoulder when I'm shooting if I'm going to pop 20 or 30 shells. I don't care what people think. But check yourself for flinching and make sure you're not developing a bad habit.

That's a fine hunting weapon. That caliber is one of several that is undeniably effective. To be honest, I would question the judgment of anyone that made a negative comment. My comments would be exactly the same if you had gotten a Creed, 7-08 or 270. ( Although the 270 would have been very punchy) Have fun!

I'm loving my 6.8 western X-bolt. So far I'm only buying off the shelf ammo but getting 1moa groups with the 162grain copper impacts. Trying to get my hands on the 175 sierra game kings.
Cabelas and Basspro have the 175tgk and
165 ablr factory loads in stock

Lou

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
Between the 165 ABLR and 175 TGK, after shooting both factory loads, I'd choose the 165. Better muzzle velocity and BC, but it depends on what shoots best in your rifle

Unckebob

WKR
I have a theory I want to throw out there about why the 6.8W has not received ANY support from other major rifle companies or ammo manufacturers -> Winchester/Browning ("WB") may not want it to happen.

Why that might be true?
1) The 6.8W is an intriguing cartridge that could attract interest from rifle buyers,
2) WB offers rifles in just about every factory rifle category from the inexpensive XPR to the most expensive Model 70 or X-Bolt.
3) As it stands now, anyone who wants to get a 6.8W, must buy a WB rifle. - No Ruger Americans to take rifle sales away from the XPR.
- No Bergaras or Tikkas to take sales away from the X-bolt.

I don't have access to any actual sales/profit data for WB, but I can imagine how the financials might work out in favor of exclusivity vs other rifle companies selling the 6.8W

Just a thought.

(Key Assumption: WB and Winchester Ammo have different owners and different . Thus, WB would only care about selling rifles v having the 6.8 be a big selling cartridge.)